• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

How to decorate a small apartment

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
:D Thats right! I got the apt. I love it but its a jr. one and I am used to much bigger...

any of you tribers got any ideas on how to use my space to its best potential?

I know you guys are crafty

:D

My bedroom doesnt have doors? Any tips on seperation?

lalalalalal :D

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I've been living in small spaces all year. Use any and all storage/shelves possible to save space. I'm big on packing things that I don't use everyday out of sight.
You could get a screen as mentioned or some nice billowy curtains to separate the bedroom.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Deep, rich, but not too dark colours in the bedroom area. Make it really feel like your (comfort) zone....

In fact, you can 'signify'- partition rooms by separating them with a colour choice, then add sliding, hanging curtains... (or the above suggestions)....

Dark blues/browns, etc. No.

Rich hued golds, or white-golds, bronze... deep yet 'brighter' colours...Yes.

Whatever. You have to make it feel like a place you *want* to come home to from work, or wherever.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
I suggest:

Stick with a light paint colour on the walls - medium or dark ones will make it seem smaller.
Simplify with few or no knick knacks.
Go with clean lines for the furniture - scandinavian is great.
And definitely the mirrors! (great for when you have some company ;))

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
Do what I always do: knock down a few wall sto open up a loft kind of fell, the painting advice is awesome, use small oriental style folding walls, try to knock out some of the outside walls and replace them with glass/transparnet plastic, this is great in spring and summer!
This is also why I had to move into my dad's place for a while.:mad:

Understated

TRIBE Member
i'm moving into a jr. 1 bedroom this coming june too. it isnt' the biggest, but it's a decent size.

the biggest advice i've been given so far has been to get furniture (sofa, coffee table) that have skinny legs or that are high off the ground. these skinny legs give the appearance that your place is bigger... hope that makes sense...

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Understated said:
the biggest advice i've been given so far has been to get furniture (sofa, coffee table) that have skinny legs or that are high off the ground. these skinny legs give the appearance that your place is bigger... hope that makes sense...
yes, but... think Minimalize. Get only the furniture pieces you need. (and one's that double as something else are also cool). And leave floor space, and space in general, between your furniture&objects... Don't cram everything together. It'll make it look/feel cluttered and 'claustophobic'.

In a smaller apartment, less is more.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Sleeper sofa, this one is from DWR:

folds down to almost a queen and is durable enough for everyday use.

Space Cubes like this one from Flemming Busk utilize creative storage (I use them as little tables around my apartment.

Also: dont look at not having a door as a problem. A nice thick piece of linen will allow more circulation, while giving you the privacy of an solid door.

Understated

TRIBE Member
JOSHB said:
Sleeper sofa, this one is from DWR:

that one's nice, but it has no arms... i need arms on my sofa...

i'm picking this one up from ikea:

turns into a sofa-bed as well (arms fold down)...
only thing is that there's no space on the bottom as i had suggested earlier... ah well cant' have everything!

i like the cube/ottoman/table idea...

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Great ideas in here... Totally agree on the lighter wall colours, anything on the darker side will make any room smaller. If you really want a dose of colour, paint it on one wall, it will give the illusion of a bigger room...

Keep window coverings on the lighter side too, the more natural light you can let it, the better.

If you have shelving, simple baskets holding a bunch of stuff will hide stuff you dont use and provide more storage.

The biggest thing is organization. Keep it minimal, and to your style.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
its simple....don't have to much crap in your apartment.... nothing worse than a cluttered up place... less is more.... get rid of all that paper and books and the like.. keep table tops and surfaces clear... maybe a few things but keep it simple

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Understated said:
that one's nice, but it has no arms... i need arms on my sofa...
i'm picking this one up from ikea:
I think the DWR piece is more of a day bed/sleeper than a sofa/sleeper. I hear ya about the arms, but if you're planning on using the bed/sofa conversion daily you should reconsider before buying Ikea. Im a huge fan of Ikea on the whole, however, i doubt that a sofa sleeper used daily would stand to 1400+ openings/closings (about a year). However balance the cost against a couch from DWR and I still might be cost efficient...

lucky1

TRIBE Member
in my place i have a love seat.. that has low profile arms and slim cushions... as opposed to the big puffy, recliner couch.. still comfy, but doesn't take up half the space

m0ff

TRIBE Member
I have one of those ottomans that the top opens up into storage. It's great! I put all my clutter in there. I live in a small apartment in Ottawa...240 sq. ft. Learning to maximize what little space I have has been pertinent to me not feeling like I live in a shoebox.