• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

how to best get back at a makeover show?

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
a close friend of mine was on this stupid makeover show called a while back, and they not only made her lie on camera, but have not followed through with their end of the bargain. she did the show so that she could get porcelain veneers (sp?) on her teeth, and get tatoo removal in preparation for this big body piece she is working towards, but the tattoo removal has been a complete joke, and now one of her teeth fell out after only one year!? the show have offered to pay for a small portion of the replacement, but they're taking a really hard line stance on the whole thing. their basic position is that they are in no way obligated legally to do anything, but that they'll do her a favor and help out.

they filed this girl's fucking teeth off to put those 'lifetime guarantee' veneers on, and now they're breaking (there was some fine print about how 'lifetime guarantee' actually doesn't mean any guarantee at all) the replacement tooth is going to cost over $1000, and who knows what will happen down the line?

she is going in there on thursday to get the money, and she doesn't want to jeapardize what money she CAN get, but at the same time, this shouldn't have happened and their contribution isn't going to solve the problem.

i was thinking that a good way to go about it is to make a sound-bitey press release/website and send the info and photo along to their marketers. we are thinking of going to pulse24 and maybe some other news sources as well, but need advice.

my questions are:

a. what is the best way to go about this? do you have any advice?

b. is there anything she can do to break the 'her alone vs. the "generousity" of the tv show' paradigm on thursday that will not jeapordize the money they have offered.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
it wasn't. it was a women's network show. i find it kind of sickening that the 'women's' network would be promoting the idea that expressing individualism is somehow 'wrong' and that you 'need' experts and loads of surgery/cosmetics to be ok, healthy, have self-esteem, etc... gee, that really helps women guys... wow.

What do you mean the 'tattoo removal was a joke'?

What were her expectations with the veneers? Had she done any research into how long they last on average and how much they cost to replace?

I watched a show where some idiot 20-ish year old chick got 26 veneers done as part of a make-over show so she could have a perfect smile (she had perfectly healthy teeth - they were just crooked and stained).

No doubt she gave ZERO thought either as to how the fuck she was going to maintain 26 veneers over the period of her lifetime, when all she had to do was get braces and some whitening for a fraction of the cost. She basically ruined 26 healthy teeth and relegated herself to a lifetime of super expensive maintenance. Even if half of those teeth broke every 20 years, that's tens of thousands of dollars.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
the tattoo removal lady is impossible to make appointments with, and her treatments ahve yet to show any noticeable effect, even after four visits. she can't even be bothered to aim the removal gun correctly. it's basically like she waves a pretend wand around and then tells the girl to come back in 3 months.

and re: veneers, i wouldn't have done it, but what's done is done, and this girl is someone i care about so i want to help her.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
this easily gets my vote as favourite thread title so far in an admittedly early start to the year.

i'm confident it'll go all the way, though.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
You should just light those two fuckheads from 'What Not To Wear' on fire. Even if your friend wasn't on that particular show, you should kill those two to show that you don't fuck around.

Papillon

TRIBE Member
Not for anything but most dentists will tell you that porcelain veneers are not guaranteed for a lifetme. A "lifetime" in porcelain veneer-speak is about 10 years.

But after a year? That's disgraceful...I feel for your friend - she must be upset. What show was it?

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i can't say what show it was until after her meeting on thursday.

this shit is awful man, i feel so bad for my friend. she keeps wondering what is going to happen 10 years down the line. she'll never be able to afford to fix them regularly...

gah!

Last edited:
DaPhatConductor said:
the tattoo removal lady is impossible to make appointments with, and her treatments ahve yet to show any noticeable effect, even after four visits. she can't even be bothered to aim the removal gun correctly. it's basically like she waves a pretend wand around and then tells the girl to come back in 3 months.

and re: veneers, i wouldn't have done it, but what's done is done, and this girl is someone i care about so i want to help her.

Ungh, that sucks.

Her tatt wouldn't have a lot of green, blue, or red, would it?

From my understanding, those colours are virtually impossible to get rid of and need a very specific type of laser (each colour) to remove them. Also, people can need up to 20+ sessions to put a dent into removing a piece. Maybe the show only paid her for 6 or something? I could kindof understand if this woman was reluctant to make an effort if she knew the total effort wasn't going to amount to anything.

Anywhore, I doubt you'd have much legal recourse, especially if she signed a release prior to starting the procedures (which she must have). IMO, even getting a couple hundred bucks from them would be more than nothing, so truthfully, other than going the back off buddy Silverman route, I don't think she'd have much luck elsewhere. Good luck!

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
it wasn't. it was a women's network show. i find it kind of sickening that the 'women's' network would be promoting the idea that expressing individualism is somehow 'wrong' and that you 'need' experts and loads of surgery/cosmetics to be ok, healthy, have self-esteem, etc... gee, that really helps women guys... wow.

but it really was all about her teeth, right?

That I could understand...

.... btw yeah just flame them, and the net, with 'your side' of the story...

the press'll just eat that up. They love this sort of exposé shit....

Call Access Hollywood!!! or a reasonable facsimile of such...

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
step one - get drunk
step 6 - shit in paper bag
step 9 - wake up with shit in bag

nothing you can do
sounds like your friend got fucked, i would report each and everyone of the ppl involved to the BBB(better business bureau)

that'll learn em, and you wont have a bag of shit laying next to you if you follow my previous advice

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Honestly, she needs to read whatever paperwork she has thoroughly, to make sure she has a leg to stand on. But she should definitely talk to the dentist who did the work and check out all the fine print re: these teeth.

I don't think Silverman will touch this, especially since the host of the make-over show used to work at CHUM.

peko

TRIBE Member
go after the dentist - he has the most to lose (reputation, future business) and tattoo artist. Get your friend to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion about her teeth and what needs to be done, from reputable dentists.... then call Silverman.

good luck - read the really small print on her 'release/ agreement' form to be on the show, AND whatever was signed at the Dr's office, AND get some legal council BEFORE she goes into the meeting with the show producers ('cause they've already sought counsel about this, I bet).

Laugh at me, but I'd record the meeting on Thursday and I wouldn't walk into that meeting WITHOUT legal support/ or someone else as a witness on my behalf.

NOTE: Silverman doesn't have to target the show (or host), but the 'sponsors' would be fair game ----> [PRINT or RADIO are effective PR tools, Silverman isn't the only voice of the people.]

WHY are people OBSESSED with their teeth?

p.s. ZOOM teeth whitening is suppose to be the least harmeful to your teeth (sensitivity etc.). It costs about $400-$500 and can be done by a Dental Assistant, ask your dentist.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Peko. my dentist told me whitening would be a couple hundread bucks.. and once you make the tray the whietening gel sits in its pretty much free and you can whiten yourself every year or so with no damage to the teeth

tough lesson learned.... nothing in life is free... you want your teeth fixed.. pay the right people, do your research, know what your options are.