1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How RIAA tracks downloaders

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by atomic, Aug 29, 2003.

1. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

2. AshG

AshG Member

3. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Gets busted for hosting Micheal Jackson tunes & pretty woman.. what a tool.

And can anyone tell me, if two separate people rip tunes from a cd digitally, then encode the files with the same encoder, will the two files not be in every way identical?

4. AshG

AshG Member

i don't know the technical issues here, but off hand i'd say maybe.

i could see each properly released cd having an identity code that would distinguish it from all other released cds, and that this code would be transferred onto an individual mp3.

i suppose that that way you could tell where 2 copies of an mp3 came from the same original source. also you'd be able to tell whether an mp3 was a copy of another mp3, or whether it was a copy from a cd.

but this is all speculation coming from a guy who always has trouble getting mp3s uploaded through an ftp.
    you've been warned. ;)

5. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Yes.

6. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I love the estimation of the damages.

The RIAA has said it expects to file at least several hundred lawsuits seeking financial damages as early as next month. U.S. copyright laws allow for damages of $750 to $150,000 for each song offered illegally on a person's computer, but the RIAA has said it would be open to settlement proposals from defendants.

7. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I know a bit about codecs, and I know that a digital copy is a digital copy, they may be able to tag some unique info at the beginning of the CD, but I don't think this is done for individual tunes as it would be quite costly to dupicate unique copies.

As far as encoding goes, yea they could probably just bust her for the ID3 tags which would say RiPpEd bY PiR8GuY, but in that case it's the fault of her own noobiness. But with tracking the pirated copy by the unique the encoding of the file, it could be argued that exact duplicates can be acheived by two users using the same software environment coult it not? That could be used to create SOME reasonable doubt.

Also, I'd like to explore more of the contitutional & bill of rights laws regarding privacy in this situation.

8. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Definitely.

And search for the differences between Canada and the States.

RIAA cant get us here.

I was reading something about in canada, as long as you are not distributing it for profit than there is nothing that they can do. Which I agree with. Canada has different view of what Property is.

I buy a CD, it's mine to do whatever. I can give it to whomever. But to duplicate it, and sell it to many other people is illegal.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  9. I still am shocked at how little they fail to mention the invasion of privacy issues that come from this whole shitstorm.

Edit - fuck OTIS beat me to it.

10. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

All these laws are fucken stoopid in the states.

You know it's Illegal to own a Modded XBox in the states. Just the Mod circuit itself is considered contreband(sp?)... If you are caught with one on your person, you can be sent to jail or fined and it is confiscated.

But in Canada, it's perfectly legal, cause you are just making an alteration to something you own. It just makes sense... How can the law dictate what I can or cannot do with my property.