• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

how often do you 'tune out'

kuba

TRIBE Member
I'd say about 30% of the time my girlfriend talks to me, I'm tuning out.

surely nobody listens 100% of the time. so my estimate is 20-30%.

how about you?

artemis

TRIBE Member
yeah ouchie - I hope she doesen't read this!

I'd say i tune out 80% in the subway, 40% with my parents, 20% at work and 0% with my b/f :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
is this possible??

you mean like you couldn't repeat back thirty percent of what is said, or that it's vapour in a few minutes?

there are some giveaways if you think someone isn't listening to you though. they typically say things like uh-huh, word, and dig every couple of seconds and then ask "why don't you take off that green dress and show me your fat ass?"

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
bf gets tuned out about %50 of the time lately cuz he's whining about the same bs every day and I can't hear it much longer, family about %20 and that's usually when they're making fun of me, work about %20, streetcar/subway etc %100 cuz headphones are on LOUD

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
I wouldn't say I tune out , but I really only understand about 40-50% of Doriannes word choices.

ahahahahahahah

personanlly for me ...

i dont tune out my girlfriend, i am maybe 7 - 9 % of the time so absorbed in something and trying to focus on both at the sametime, i occasionally miss something, or hear it but it doesnt register.

people i tune out on puropse, are only those that are truly a fucking + retards.

if you tune everything out, how are you supposed to monitor all transmissions so that world domination is viable.... knowing is half the battle ;)

[ja]

kmac

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
usually when they ramble.
[my sweeping generalization for the day]

I've heard it may have something to do with women being process-oriented. So if they tell a story, they basically take you through each and every step of the story, while men tend to be results-oriented and skip straight to the ending of a story, skipping many details.

[/my sweeping generalization for the day]

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
usually when they ramble.
about you not having your shit together? :p because my guy complaining about his job, money, "what will i do with my life" and his dreams of moving out to fort mcmurray to work there five years to afford some retirement cottage gets a TUNE OUT from me!

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
kmac said:

I've heard it may have something to do with women being process-oriented. So if they tell a story, they basically take you through each and every step of the story, while men tend to be results-oriented and skip straight to the ending of a story, skipping many details.

That's when these come in handy

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
kmac said:

i have actually sat back and taken note of this in both sexes, on many occasions. it's true (generally)

Skipper

TRIBE Member
kmac said:

It's true...I realize that I'm doing this when he looks like he's tuning out.

I don't tune out, but I often have two trains of thought going at the same time - like I'm listening to someone, but then when they're done talking, I'll ask them something totally unrelated, which makes it LOOK like I've tuned out and was thinking about something else but really I swear I am listening

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I tune out my bf sometimes and I know he does the same (he kindly informs me when it's happening). I would be scared if he paid 100% attention to what I say, especially when at least 50% of what I talk about is blather I should be saving up for my girlfriends. I've taken to yelling at the television instead of talking to him.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
OMG.

Like when they have a choice to make and ask your opinion. You already are going to say choice A, but then they go on a huge tangent of why choice A over B, then choice B over A, by then you've already lost interest and reply choice A, then have to listen to the reasons again.

On that note, marriage is great. :D

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
I tune out all the time, and Amy hates it. I keep pressing her to provide me with an executive summary up front in case I lose my focus.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Aerius Zension said:
Like when they have a choice to make and ask your opinion. You already are going to say choice A, but then they go on a huge tangent of why choice A over B, then choice B over A, by then you've already lost interest and reply choice A, then have to listen to the reasons again.
<3