• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How often do you need to sharpen lawnmower blades?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect more often than never, but mine has never been sharpened before and the machine is like 8 years old. It is a gas mower. Is this something I can do myself (I have assorted files, dremels, etc..) ? Or do I have to take it somewhere to be sharpened...

Stop Bill C-10

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
I've noticed in my neighbourhood in Plateau, Montreal, there's some homegrown peasant industry Truck that passes through my street every two weeks, offering sharpening services. (for everything).
He rings a bell and everything. At first I thought it was ice cream! But nope, just blade sharpening services.

Anyways, if you have a type like this in your neighbourhood, just grab them.

In other news, if your lawnmower is electric - DIY
If it's gas-powered, or otherwise autonomously powered, get someone else to do it. Those things are super-dangerous to repair. You could lose your fingers.

Cheers

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Back when I was a wee one, my dad tried to repair our gas-mower, most likely just trying to remove branches from it or something. And the excess gas kickstarted it, just for a few seconds.

He lost 3 of his fingers on his right hand.

It was indeed a very traumatic suburban household moment.

I won't go near those things.

Cheers.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Back when I was a wee one, my dad tried to repair our gas-mower, most likely just trying to remove branches from it or something. And the excess gas kickstarted it, just for a few seconds.

He lost 3 of his fingers on his right hand.

It was indeed a very traumatic suburban household moment.

I won't go near those things.

Cheers.

unpluging the sparkplug is your friend.
[YOUTUBE]Km4f-eRE4Kc[/YOUTUBE]

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
In other news, if your lawnmower is electric - DIY
If it's gas-powered, or otherwise autonomously powered, get someone else to do it. Those things are super-dangerous to repair. You could lose your fingers.

Cheers

Maybe dangerous if you don't shut it off first. Pull the plug wire and you're good.

To answer the original question- sharpen them when they get dull.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Maybe dangerous if you don't shut it off first. Pull the plug wire and you're good.

To answer the original question- sharpen them when they get dull.

There was actually a brief Simpson's skit about this

Homer: "Bart, but you have such small puny hands! Just pull out that branch."
Bart: "I dunno, Homer...."
*gas powered lawnmower goes off, shreds the branch*

typical awkward Simpson glances ensued...

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
pop that blade off , plug wire off first. Sharpen up every season or two at least. Healthy lawn likes a clean cut , a dull blade tears the grass and dulls the lawn and eventually harms the sod. Keep that blade sharp like a knife.

djfear

TRIBE Member
This post sort of reminds me of the guy who wanted to lube his motorcycle chain by running the bike in 1st gear on a stand.

He lost the tips of almost all of his fingers! :(

Polymorph, sorry to hear about your dad's incident.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
You can tell when it needs sharpening by looking at the cut on the individual grass leaves - it should be smooth, not jagged. That said after eight years it could definitely use a sharpening.

I've used files in the past not sure if this is the correct way.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The thing that sucks is that it is a gas mower and when I flip it on its side, the gas will all leak out, unless I siphon it off into a container and then put it back after....

I am going to see if I can find the old manual and perhaps buy a fresh blade to keep on hand if they are not too expensive.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
The thing that sucks is that it is a gas mower and when I flip it on its side, the gas will all leak out, unless I siphon it off into a container and then put it back after....

I am going to see if I can find the old manual and perhaps buy a fresh blade to keep on hand if they are not too expensive.

Yeah, its already been eight years, just wait until next time you run out of gas to swap blades or sharpen.

Oh, and I'm having a faint memory it's smart to swivel the blade on a pencil or stick to make sure its roughly evenly weighted on each side.

peko

TRIBE Member
We have a blade sharpening truck that drives around too. Kinda like the ice cream truck. You bring your blades and knives to the truck, not sure of cost.

There might be shops around which could sharpen them for you.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Getting the blade off is the hard part! If you can do that, and you've got a bench vise and a file you can do the rest easy

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
Balance.jpg