• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How much should I charge...

Karim

TRIBE Member
How much should I charge to make a simple webpage for a clothing store?

I'm pretty good at photoshop, the job will require me to go in, photograph the store, scan and reconstruct logos, make a graphic layout, basic pages of information. No forms, flash, or anything complicated, but an overall asthetically appealing simple page.

I just got offered the job and they asked me to name my price. I know tribe is full of freelance graphic artists and such so I'm hoping some of you guys can give me a reasonable amount that I should ask for.

Background of the store:
It's a very high end womens clothing store that carries lines such as Hugo Boss, and Elie Tahari. The owner doesn't know much if anything about computers.

Thanks!

randyval

TRIBE Member
my friend is doing the same thing, he charged $600,
over and on top of costs such as name space registration.
i took him a day to do for the bulk of it, the whole thing was done in 3 days.

Babes

TRIBE Member
Karim said:
Background of the store:
It's a very high end womens clothing store that carries lines such as Hugo Boss, and Elie Tahari.
Elie Tahari... where is this store!? I thought only Holts carried that line. Please PM with the source.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

randyval

TRIBE Member
starr said:
$600 doesn't seem enough if you're going in and taking pics, etc.
true, my friend simply did the pages,with everything supplied to him, $600 was just for the labour.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Babes said:
Elie Tahari... where is this store!? I thought only Holts carried that line. Please PM with the source.
Believe it or not, St. Catharines.

They're actually in the process of aquiring this line and it is very very likely that they'll stock it soon.

I'll hook you the website URL when I'm done...lol

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Karim said:
How much should I charge to make a simple webpage for a clothing store?

I'm pretty good at photoshop, the job will require me to go in, photograph the store, scan and reconstruct logos, make a graphic layout, basic pages of information. No forms, flash, or anything complicated, but an overall asthetically appealing simple page.

I just got offered the job and they asked me to name my price. I know tribe is full of freelance graphic artists and such so I'm hoping some of you guys can give me a reasonable amount that I should ask for.

Background of the store:
It's a very high end womens clothing store that carries lines such as Hugo Boss, and Elie Tahari. The owner doesn't know much if anything about computers.

Thanks!

Basic pages? How many? How much graphic work, will they be providing you with content? How many photographs.

Websites can be open-ended black holes. I would strongly recommend setting down a proposal that details exactly what you will be responsible for doing and how much you will be charging for it. Even better, recommend that the first stage of the job is to draft a list of requiements that will be used to form the design document.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Rataxès said:
Basic pages? How many? How much graphic work, will they be providing you with content? How many photographs.

Websites can be open-ended black holes. I would strongly recommend setting down a proposal that details exactly what you will be responsible for doing and how much you will be charging for it. Even better, recommend that the first stage of the job is to draft a list of requiements that will be used to form the design document.
I will probably be in charge of writing up the stores description. The sections will probably be split up: main page, designer lines carried, contact information (which will include store location etc.), store gallary, and maybe even a blog on trends, because theres a girl that works there that I'm sure would LOVE to fill one out all the time, or just talk about her new favorite pieces in the store. I dunno, pretty simple, minimal update requirements, etc.

The overall page will try to capture the look and feel of the store. If they don't have the logo graphic files (Which I'm sure they won't find), I'll have to scan and touch up the logo, create buttons, a layout, etc. graphic backgrounds, and extensive use of tables.

thom100

TRIBE Member
umm are these not all low ball advice?
to go in and shoot the store alone you should be charging $400-1000.
Web design I don't know too much about, but I would suggest you charge at least industry rate. I would think this job is in the $2500 range , no?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
Web design I don't know too much about, but I would suggest you charge at least industry rate. I would think this job is in the $2500 range , no?

My starting on this would be 2grand and thats as a super friend I love you price.

Anyone suggesting for non technical websites I'm generally of the notion that you bid at $60 * (hours it will take) + %30, I see what your listing as being about 30-40 hours of actual work thus

2300 - 3100

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, but $600 seems extremely low for a corporate website like that, even a simple one.

You're going to be designing *and* coding right?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I hate to say it but photographers and web designers are a dime a dozen these days (especially since the digital camera and everyone's a "photographer" now,) and unless you're doing something required extra skills (Flash, database implentation) beyond a "typical" website, I don't see why anyone would pay more than a grand...

thom100

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
I hate to say it but photographers and web designers are a dime a dozen these days (especially since the digital camera and everyone's a "photographer" now,) and unless you're doing something required extra skills (Flash, database implentation) beyond a "typical" website, I don't see why anyone would pay more than a grand...
while agree with what you're saying , he was offered the job and asked his price , he is not in a bidding war for the contract.
So keep the industry standard with a client who is willing to pay what the going rate is for the work required.

starr

TRIBE Member
i don't know that sounds like at least a week's worth of work to me

i'm with ditto, if she's your friend then around $2000 seems fair
you're taking pics, writing, setting up the website, and sorting the logo

don't forget she'll likely want to make edits and changes to whatever you give her
she's opening a business (that carries elie tahari), i'm sure she can afford it

alcid

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
agreed, these are all low ball rates.

Considering the fact that you'll be responsible for Photography, Information Architecture, Content Development (writing the store's description), Design and Coding, $2500 is maybe even a little on the low side. (Many of these tasks are often handled by different people with expertise in their fields.) Also take into account stuff like how many design concepts will you be doing? What is the expectation for revisions (unlimited, one round, content only etc...)?

The best way to go about doing a quote is to break down each task and estimate how long it will take you. Assign an hourly rate based on each task (for example IA/strategy will generally have a higher hourly rate than coding plain HTML) and add up all the totals. No need to give the client the exact breakdown unless they specifically request it.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP USING TABLES FOR YOUR LAYOUTS! (if that's what you meant by extensive use of tables)

Web designers and coders may be a dime a dozen these days, but that's no excuse to not charge industry standard rates (Ditto's in the right range). Not doing so builds unrealistic expectations and makes businesses go for the cheapest option, often resulting in unprofessional, sub-standard work ("well my nephew in grade 10 can do our website for just $300!")

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
What?! :0

Lets see how you estimated the work and I'll post how I estimated the work. Simply on hour count not on price break.

Background of the store:
They don't have digital copies of there logo, they don't have an exsisting site to pillage content from and they don't have images.

Day 1

I estimate taking pictures to take about 2-4 hours and another 2-4 hours to select the useful images and cut them to size and resolution.

Day 2

on day 2 we need to take the logo and turn it into something useable for the site 2 hours, We also need to take some time and design what the site should look like, this will likely cause an early mock up to be created 4 hours. At this point I would already start thinking about content and possibly write the first of it down as part of the mock up.

Day 3

Basic stub pages showing layout and navigation, design templates and begin to put content to form. Assume that this is largely a who we are and what we sell type of site you now need to use the pictures from day one effectively. It will likely be a full day writing web pages and putting images togther, hopefully by the end of the day you can put it up as a sample site.

Day 4

Sit with client discuss protuct and content and make necessary revisions.

I see this as likely having 2 client site visits and a days worth of real coding. I come up to 4 days including revisions and assume an 8 hour day with an occasional lost hour to making a poor choice and hiaving to do it twice.

Yes it could be pumped out in 10 hours however 30 is much more realistic and includes dealing with the client.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders