• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How much salt do you eat?

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
I heard about this calculator on CBC Radio's Metro Morning. I am a salt addict, and i need to start cleaning up that side of my health (one of my goals for 2013).

Anyone have tips on how they reduced they salt intake without feeling like everything was tasteless?? :p

acheron

TRIBE Member
- Cooking with no salt added canned tomatoes or beans (Compliments Balance or PC Blue are lowest)
- Using fresh ingredients as much as possible
- less processed or fast food in general
- Drinking more water
- I tend to substitute hot peppers or sriracha sauce for salt in some meals

erika

TRIBE Member
I heard about this calculator on CBC Radio's Metro Morning. I am a salt addict, and i need to start cleaning up that side of my health (one of my goals for 2013).

Anyone have tips on how they reduced they salt intake without feeling like everything was tasteless?? :p
They may actually give you tips on there (I rated good, so didn't bother).

Use lots of herbs, don't EVER put a salt shaker on your table, don't use the one in restaurants. At first things might not seem as "tasty" but then your taste buds will recover; unless, of course, you're a smoker, in which case it's sort of a lost cause..

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I eat as much as I want.

My blood pressure is top notch, and I have absolutely no concern with the amount of salt that I eat.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

erika

TRIBE Member
^
Neither do I, but I was curious; and learned that I get a bunch of my salt from the cheese I eat, which I don't tend to think about.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
- Cooking with no salt added canned tomatoes or beans (Compliments Balance or PC Blue are lowest)
- Using fresh ingredients as much as possible
- less processed or fast food in general
- Drinking more water
- I tend to substitute hot peppers or sriracha sauce for salt in some meals
yep. People eat way too much salt. I never cook with it.. even when it's asked in recipes. Once you cut it out of your diet you will realize how salty everything is.. Swiss Chalet for example. That chicken is so freaking salty and too me it's just as bad as fast food. I never eat at Swiss Chalet anymore.

I don't eat a lot of salt.. only time is when I eat movie popcorn or chips.. but that's a treat and once in awhile. I had nachos at Jack Astors on Thursday and it was horrible.. it was so salty.. even their Guag was salty. yuck!

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Once you cut it out of your diet you will realize how salty everything is...
totally agree! ;-)

I don't put it in there intentionally or willingly. I use pepper when I can and that is it. Actually both of my shakers at my house have Pepper and Chia

:)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
cool.

still don't understand the hate on salt. It makes things taste better, and is needed by the body.

The links to any health problems with normal healthy people is non-existant.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
^
define normal healthy people :)
it can definitely increase your possibilities of having problems if you consume it to excess
normal/healthy in this case, i would define as people without cardiac issues, and who maintain a well rounded diet.

recent studies have shown these theories in the Hardvard post to be inaccurate and dated.

I think a lot of people are just unaware of how much they actually do consume.
No doubt. but that's also a lot of correlation, and not causation. People who have extremely high amounts of salt in their diet are likely eating canned/ prepared/junk foods more often.

But salting your recipes, if you're cooking 95% if your meals from scatch - is not going to hurt you. Research is showing that someone like hawkeye , who is active and eats mostly vegetables may be doing more harm then good in restricting sodium intake.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
so i just did the test and it says my intake is 2000mg per day which is 32% more then normal and I get 54% of my salt from hot cereal and bakery products (i love bread) I eat regular Oatmeal monday to friday.. i don't know how accurate this is!

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
As stated in the NYT article, recent studies are showing that there's more of a genetic link to CD and Hypertension, then a cause by salt intake. As stated in the article as well, most new evidence is being dismissed, without just cause.

Here are a few recent studies (over the past few months) discussing the topic.

Blood pressure, cardiovascular outcom... [Acta Clin Belg. 2012 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Salt intake and blood pressure in the ... [J Bras Nefrol. 2012 Oct-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Salt intake and cardiovascular disease: why are ... [Eur Heart J. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Subjective evaluation of the frequen... [Environ Health Prev Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I dont put salt on anything except a boiling water and sonetimes fries if theres no salt on em. im a sweet not salty person. I think i actually probably lack salt.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
I'm much more concerned about my daily intake of generalising, inaccurate surveys.

Is there a survey I can take to find out if I'm taking too many?

erika

TRIBE Member
so i just did the test and it says my intake is 2000mg per day which is 32% more then normal and I get 54% of my salt from hot cereal and bakery products (i love bread) I eat regular Oatmeal monday to friday.. i don't know how accurate this is!
What do you call "regular" oatmeal? do you cook oats yourself, or buy a prepared thing?

As stated in the NYT article, recent studies are showing that there's more of a genetic link to CD and Hypertension, then a cause by salt intake. As stated in the article as well, most new evidence is being dismissed, without just cause.

Here are a few recent studies (over the past few months) discussing the topic.

Blood pressure, cardiovascular outcom... [Acta Clin Belg. 2012 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Salt intake and blood pressure in the ... [J Bras Nefrol. 2012 Oct-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Salt intake and cardiovascular disease: why are ... [Eur Heart J. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Subjective evaluation of the frequen... [Environ Health Prev Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
this is interesting to me because I am the perfect case study of the opposite: high-blood pressure, strokes heart attacks in spades in my family, but, oh surprise! I don't eat the way they do at all, and exercise a lot more; have never had high blood pressure in my life.

And yes I agree that if you cook most of your food from scratch, you're fine.

I'm much more concerned about my daily intake of generalising, inaccurate surveys.

Is there a survey I can take to find out if I'm taking too many?
Probably - if not, you should create one! :p

deep

TRIBE Member
ALL OF THE SALTS

Although this year I did have one occasion (probably the first) where I found the amount of salt to be inedible in excess.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Probably double that this week since I'm travelling. I try to balance it out with sugar though so it nets out to zero.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
What do you call "regular" oatmeal? do you cook oats yourself, or buy a prepared thing?

This is interesting to me because I am the perfect case study of the opposite: high-blood pressure, strokes heart attacks in spades in my family, but, oh surprise! I don't eat the way they do at all, and exercise a lot more; have never had high blood pressure in my life.

And yes I agree that if you cook most of your food from scratch, you're fine.
no, that's exactly the point! If they're eating garbage food all around, there are many more factors to CD then blood pressure. It's just one issue to add to the pile of people who eat poorly and don't exercise.

They're likely also eating a high-fructrose diet, loaded with refined flour, trans-fats and low in fresh leafy greens, anti-oxidants and polyunsaturated fats - right?

Last edited: