• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

how many careers have you had?

kuba

TRIBE Member
I've had three so far-

sandwich artist (yes, it's a god damn career ok? so fuck off and do you want mayo?)

research analyst (it sucked, the company sucked)

mortgage broker (trying it now)

Along with a string of other jobs (celestica monkey boy- worked in the factory. MEC stock asshole. U of T putting-books-back-on-the-shelf dickhead. Toronto Blue Jays usher...)

you?

how many jobs have you had? or careers?

It's funny- the best jobs I ever had were the ones when I was young. Working at subway through high school was wicked. Free food to me and friends, smoking weed in the refrigerator, boss got us vodka on friday nights cuz she felt sorry for us that we were working on weekends, girls at the mall etc etc.

anyways- enough about me- how about you?

how many do you think you'll have? i'm in line for another 2 or 3 more..

Skipper

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
(celestica monkey boy- worked in the factory.)
heh....how was that?
when did you work there? Balzz worked there as well, not sure in what capacity.

I anticipate having at least 3 or 4 - the one I'm in right now is balls (it's decent but I couldn't do it for much more than 2 more years), then law, and eventually I'd like to teach or consult indepdently in a legal capacity (ie running my own practice or opening a firm).

kmac

TRIBE Member
Good thread.

Cashier
Retail sales
Office admin drone
Fact checker
Copy editor
Reporter!

Anyway, my favourite job was working at Coffee Time. I drank and ate for free and because I'm pretty chatty, I would sit down at whatever table with whatever customer and smoke cigarettes and just talk. There was a Home Depot across the street, so hot guys who worked there were always coming by on break. The job had everything, really.

aki

TRIBE Promoter
Prior to University, through highschool, I had various retail and food service jobs. The usual stuff.

After University I spent 4 years as a Sales Associate in the financial industry. Hated every minute of it.

I'm now a Research Analyst at CAMH, doing research in the area of substance use. Now I love every minute of my job (well, almost every minute). I plan on being in this field the rest of my life.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

beatjunkie

TRIBE Member
Gas Attendant
IGA Stock Boy
Advertising Sales
Campuss Crew Retail
Staples Business Depot
Telecommunications Software Executive
Business Intelligence Software Executive

kuba

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
heh....how was that?
when did you work there? Balzz worked there as well, not sure in what capacity.

I anticipate having at least 3 or 4 - the one I'm in right now is balls (it's decent but I couldn't do it for much more than 2 more years), then law, and eventually I'd like to teach or consult indepdently in a legal capacity (ie running my own practice or opening a firm).
It sucked. They basically hired 90% immigrants and 10% whiteys. THe whiteys would always get their contracts extended, and the immigrants would be fighting mad to have theirs, as the stakes are much higher for them. Non-unionized, 6 month terms, and once you do 3 terms, then you're full-time. Til then, nothing. I left after 4 months because I got into the school I wanted, but they were asking me to stay. I was literally facing a life of celesticrap, and said fuck this and left. All my immigrant friends were shocked that the idea that someone would leave such "opportunity" as my friend Mowlid would say....

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Office IT guy for RCMP
Office IT guy for Dept of Justice
Help Desk Tech for Bell Sympatico
2nd Line Help Desk Tech for Bell Sympatico
Floater/Supervisor for Bell Sympatico
Trainer for Bell Sympatico
IT Technician/Assistant Network Admin for small WebBased company
Help Desk for Conferencing company
2nd Line Helpdesk for Conferencing Company
3rd Line Helpdesk for Conferencing Company
Quality Assurance and Testing for Conferencing Company

Resolver

TRIBE Member
Only two for me. Working at Loblaws in the deli department back in '98. I hated it really and I only lasted 2 months there. I am now a supply custodian for over 7 years and I really don't mind it. Pay is really good, nobody is watching over my back, and Im not crammed in a cubicle all day long without getting some form of exercise. I really want to get into a Journalism career. This province wide strike better end soon for fuck sakes!

Brandon

TRIBE Member
-Piano teacher - 1993-1999
-Sales Associate (AKA Al Bundy) at a shoe store - 1996-1998
-Technical Services staff member (aka "Summer Student/Go'fer") at a software development firm (a hilarious occupation given that I have no skills in the technical services area) - 1998-2001
- Shipper/Receiver for the OLGC (shipping slot machines all over the place) - one month contract 2001
- Executive Researcher/Assistant for a university student association - 2001- Present

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
My present job = project manager in research division at a hospital.

Recap of my interview:

Boss: "So our main research focus is on drugs and drug-therapies"
Me: "I like drugs"
Boss: *uncomfortable silence*

Next day = hired!

kuba

TRIBE Member
SneakyPete said:
What kind of research analyst?
the kind where you research, and you analyze.

no, really, i wrote 100+ page comprehensive reports on various sectors of canadian B2B e-business, including company profile and market summary/outlook predictions. We got sued by a small-time wireless company because i thought they would go under within 12 months if nobody bought them. Sure enough, they did. But it wasn't based on equity, rather on market opportunity for big guys such as IBM/HP/the gov/Deloitte etc (our client base)

It sucked. I eventually ended up selling weed on a regular basis to the top boss because he, as he said to me, "didn't have any black friends he could turn to"

yes, that's right. He said that.

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
Oh boy....

Bitch
Hostess/wood oven pizza/salad/desert preparation
Bitch
Donut shop counter person
Wendy's bitch for 12 days
Bitch
Lazy Ass, no job, skater
Shoe salesperson
Raver
Sports gear sales person
Flyer chick
Customer service/gift wrapping bitch
-lots of shit jobs in here somewhere-
Market Research interviewer
Receptionist
Law Clerk

Kiera

TRIBE Member
Hhhrrmmm

*Sales assistant/cashier at various clothing stores
*worked at the college of nurses of canada which SUCKED so bad
*worked at TD in their towers downtown
*temped as a receptionist for various offices
*now working as a meetings cordinator and backup receptionist. Its a good enough job but not something I want to be doing forever.

oh yeah and I also did the telemarketing thing when I was desperate for money. Those were dark times.

Last edited:

kuba

TRIBE Member
beatjunkie said:
Gas Attendant
IGA Stock Boy
Advertising Sales
Campuss Crew Retail
Staples Business Depot
Telecommunications Software Executive
Business Intelligence Software Executive
Isn't it funny when you look at your career progression? It's amazing where some people come from, and where they end up. It's equally amazing when some people by the age of mid 20s don't have ANY experience.

I guess I come from a less-than-wealthy family, but I had to work from 16. Even if I end up one rung higher on the social scale, I'm going to make my kids work, too. Nothing crazy, but just to learn a lot of skills that people who I went to uni/college with, didn't have, because their parents didn't let them OR they didn't need to work.

kuba

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
Office IT guy for RCMP
Office IT guy for Dept of Justice
Help Desk Tech for Bell Sympatico
2nd Line Help Desk Tech for Bell Sympatico
Floater/Supervisor for Bell Sympatico
Trainer for Bell Sympatico
IT Technician/Assistant Network Admin for small WebBased company
Help Desk for Conferencing company
2nd Line Helpdesk for Conferencing Company
3rd Line Helpdesk for Conferencing Company
Quality Assurance and Testing for Conferencing Company
Then there is this example where someone takes something they like from an early age, and run with it. Good for you nick, I wish I was in the same boat.

TRIBE Member
I've had a zillion shitty jobs, but I think they're only worth mentioning if you've done it for a while or had multiple jobs in the same field.

My first career was telemarketing. I've worked 3 seperate telemarketing gigs for a grand total of 6 weeks. I'd just put in 2 weeks of a couple hours after school when I was in grade 9 and 10 until I had enough money to buy a new skateboard deck.

I worked on a couple farms doing rocks and/or hay. That was awesome work. The pay wasn't that great, but I was so skinny back then that the farmers and their families would always force food on me... so I'd end up working a couple hours then get sent in the house for an hour to eat fried eggs and apple pie.

I had a carreer as a dish pig/pizza prep asshole at a couple different place. Those jobs where terrible. The free pizza thing wears thin after a while, then all your left with is terrible job with shitty money working for assholes... the only upside being that you can spit and piss in peoples food for little or no provocation... which helps work out some teenaged angst.

My current career is in information security, and I really enjoy it (I'm a pretty serious computer geek). I've been doing this for about 7 or 8 years now and probably will for another 10. Right now, I'd only considering leaving it for a self employed type situation. Not in computers or security, but something else entirely. Maybe property management... real estate development... I don't really know.