• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How many advertisements are you exposed to on an average day?

basilisk

TRIBE Member
The exercise is fairly simple. Estimate how many newspaper ads, television commercials, radio jingles, billboards, subway posters, web banners, text ads, blipverts, etc. you are exposed to on an average day... think about it for a moment.

rhyss

TRIBE Member
At least a thousand. And that is just internet, spam, billboards and other visual types. Whould be more if I listened to ther radio and read the paper everyday...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
What do you consider advertisment?
Is a logo on a shirt considered advertisment?
Is it just big name corps or does anything that announces a product/service/event also ok?

acheron

TRIBE Member
Lessee here... a daily timeline:

wake-up to leaving home: radio and television ads, some internet banners, newspaper and magazine ads
drive to work/outside: pole advertising, billboards, radio ads, storefronts, graffitti, real estate signs, sandwich boards, in-store (point of sale) ads, leaflets, flyers, store displays, home-made signs in windows
at work: company propaganda, internet banners, email forwards
on the way home (same as drive to work, generally)
dinner: same as breakfast with additional telemarketing
after dinner: television, internet

so yeah, thousands.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
Galactic Phantom said:
What do you consider advertisment?
Is a logo on a shirt considered advertisment?
Is it just big name corps or does anything that announces a product/service/event also ok?
logos are considered ads. product placement in tv shows are considered ads.

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
I've done a fair job of cutting a lot of advertising out of my life.
I'll surf with pictures and flash disabled at work. I don't get cable/watch tv.
No real billboards/major signage on my way to work. I listen to cbc or jazz 91.1 radio which is relatively add-free.

I will read flyers of my choosing though a few times a week. That and surfing the internet with pics/flash enabled at home comprises the bulk of advertising that reaches me

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
hmm assuming each hour of television has 14 minutes of ads at an average of 2 per minute thats 28 per hour. I generally have my TV on at most times (even when not watching it) so I'm counting 4 hours per day on average so 112 tv commercials per night.

I read only one paper per day and I believe the current average is %40 of a newspaper is ads. So I'm going to assume that I see another 160 - 200 ads by reading front page section and skimming through sports and business.

I have read somewhere that %10 of all webpages are actually ads (by real estate). This one is tough to estimate however I guess I see about 10 pages per hour averaged across 10 hours per day or about 100 per day. I'm going to count this as 400 for argument sake.

my count is somewhere around 750 as a rough estimate.

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
Soulster said:
logos are considered ads. product placement in tv shows are considered ads.
I know that.

I'm trying to figure out if when people go through their closet choosing a shirt to wear, if that would be advertising, even though you've already bought the product.

Being exposed to ads is different that paying attention to ads.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Fidelity said:
I've done a fair job of cutting a lot of advertising out of my life.
And do you find yourself spending less money than people who see more advertising every day?

acheron

TRIBE Member
I think a better exercise would be to take account of all the ads that you actually remember having seen during a day - and by remember I mean you can recall the brand name at a minimum. The rest is all noise because advertising is only advertising if it works. Of course different advertising works on different people so one person's noise is going to be the second coming to someone else.

So, in my case going from this morning to now, the only ads that I can actually remember the brand name of that I saw today are Global Television billboards and those really annoying Spence Diamonds ads on the radio. Nothing else comes to mind right at this moment. I can't even recall the banners at the top of the tribe window as they have scrolled up and I honestly couldn't tell you what they were unless I scroll up deliberately to look at them.

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
And do you find yourself spending less money than people who see more advertising every day?
I have absolutely no idea. I'm clueless as to what an average person spends.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
I think a better exercise would be to take account of all the ads that you actually remember having seen during a day - and by remember I mean you can recall the brand name at a minimum. The rest is all noise because advertising is only advertising if it works. Of course different advertising works on different people so one person's noise is going to be the second coming to someone else.

So, in my case going from this morning to now, the only ads that I can actually remember the brand name of that I saw today are Global Television billboards and those really annoying Spence Diamonds ads on the radio. Nothing else comes to mind right at this moment. I can't even recall the banners at the top of the tribe window as they have scrolled up and I honestly couldn't tell you what they were unless I scroll up deliberately to look at them.
You're right.

People view ads differently, I can tell you every poster on the north & south line of Yonge station, but would I buy any of the products, see any of the movies, watch any of the TV shows, not likely.

I can also tell you that the Bon Jovi futureshop ad has been there for a year + now. Does that mean the advertising worked or does it mean that Viacom hasn't found someone to advertise in that space & decided to leave it up?

Last edited:

basilisk

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
I think a better exercise would be to take account of all the ads that you actually remember having seen during a day - and by remember I mean you can recall the brand name at a minimum. The rest is all noise because advertising is only advertising if it works.
Would anyone really argue that advertisements don't have a subliminal effect? Advertisements tend to push specific products but they also promote the parent company and, in the greater scheme of things, the concept of consumption in general. You're right that much of it is noise; noise pollution I would argue. One figure I read alleges that most people are exposed to anywhere from 1500 to 3000 ads a day; that's like 2 or 3 a minute. As a form of stimulation, we certainly seem to be saturated - even bombarded - by advertising. It is an ever-present element of our daily reality. Not everyone is going to mind, of course... but it sure as hell seems incredibly unnatural to me, and worth discussing at the very least.

For anyone arguing that advertising isn't all that effective, I figure the existance of a multi-billion dollar industry would suggest otherwise. Maybe advertisement X doesn't make your purchase product Y, but the unceasing assault on your senses does seem to keep this freak show we call Western society running fairly smoothly.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Speaking of ads and such. I was watching the Nascar race on sunday (yes I did say nascar, I am a country boy). The race was rained out meaning no commercials and you dont get to see the ads all over the cars either. So the station brodcasting the race had to list all the sponsers right before they cut off the coverage. I swear I sat there for a good 20 min just watching all these company names go by on the screen.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
basilisk said:
but the unceasing assault on your senses does seem to keep this freak show we call Western society running fairly smoothly.
Do you think consumerism in Western society is a result of advertising, or that advertising is a result of consumerism?