1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How long is the line to buy the new Blackberry Torch I wonder?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, Aug 2, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

It is supposed to come out tomorrow. I bet more people waited in line for tickets to the Predators opening, or Salt even.

Is there a picture of the new BB at least somewhere...?

2. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

If I see it at my Telus store I'll let you know what it looks like... after I pick up my iPhone 4.

3. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

BlackBerry 9800:

[​IMG]

The press conference today is supposed to be unveiling this device and OS 6.0. My understanding is that it's just an announcement, however, and the devices won't be available for another couple months. I may be wrong about that though.

-- Jay aka Fut

4. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

5. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I think more people will be in line than protested the G8 Summit, if that's any consolation.

6. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Dude! It is basically the Palm Pre IMO

7. glych t.anomaly

BlackBerry 6 OS Won't Grace Storm or Storm 2

The Blackberry Torch 9800, a sleek slider with both a touch screen and a full keyboard, is the first device to come loaded with RIM's revamped BlackBerry 6 OS. But one interesting bit from the press release suggests that BlackBerry's older touch screen devices won't get the update:

Subject to carrier certifications in the months ahead, the new OS is expected to be available for the BlackBerry® Bold™ 9700, BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650 and BlackBerry® Pearl™ 3G, as well as future BlackBerry smartphones.
    Looks like current owners of touchscreen Blackberrys will have to keep weathering the storm with BlackBerry OS 5.

jumping on the fragmentation bandwagon, wooooooo !

[jai]

8. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

No OS 6 for the Curve 8530?

wtf?

9. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Sweet! I'm supposed to be getting a new Blackberry soon. So it will either be this or a bold 9700! Eitherway I get OS6!

10. octo

octo TRIBE Member

i want one or bold running os6

11. glych t.anomaly

so we have a Torch now at work.

have to say, its fairly snappy, its not intuitive if you are moving from early BB OS versions, and things are def not located in the same spots.

on screen keyboard is better IMO than typing on the hard buttons as it offers landscape, i hate typing in portrait mode.

overall though i would say the screen size, and just over all experience so far, while was better than any other blackberry i had used, was still not something that was overly impressive.

i think i would rather see what the Torch 3 is like with the OSv6 for RIM.

[jai]

12. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

isn't the screen resolution on the Torch lesser than the 9700, etc ?

13. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

My wife is up for a BBerry upgrade soon.

Should she go for the 9700 or the Torch?

14. glych t.anomaly

what does she currently have?

[jai]

15. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Probably the Torch. Or the refresh of the Bold 2 (9780). Or wait for the Storm 3.

Does she have to get a Blackberry?

16. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

She wants a Blackberry since she's had the old Curve for the past couple years and all her friends are on BBM and she's used to how it works.

I've tried convincing her of iPhone and Android but she's not having it.

17. glych t.anomaly

i would agree with wiseman either the bold 2 or Storm 3, but i really dislike the torch.

[jai]

18. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

My Storm2 died and I wasn't up to buying RIM first gen stuff again so I bought a iphone4. Dislike it so far - hoping the Storm3 comes out by year end.