• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How long do you wait to add a client to LinkedIn?

stryker

TRIBE Member
I started a new job a few weeks ago and I've met most of the clients I'll be dealing with but I haven't added them to LinkedIn yet.

I've added most of the colleagues i deal with regularly but not the client. I don't know what the etiquette is? Do I wait until my probation is up? Do I do it immediately?

What do you guys do?

thanks!
stew :)

alison87

TRIBE Member
I add colleagues immediately. When i was freelancing i added clients quite early too, sometimes even before the gig as a sort of resume-replacement (i have also done this for potential employers where i turned the job down but still "clicked" in the interview). In companies where i don't have a lot of direct customer contact i tend to only add them if we have had a lot of support calls or an on-site visit. This seems okay in the development world, i'm not sure if it is different in support or consulting. Either way i would definitely do it before the endgame, otherwise you give the impression you are collecting contacts to prepare for quitting.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
LinkedIN is the new business card. If you would hand out a business card you can add to LinkedIN. Unless you're a recruiter, then you can piss off.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I got my current gig through Linked In via a recruiter lol

It allows me to keep my incorporated status despite me only having one client. Alberta rules are funny like that.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
linkedin.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I'm conflicted about LinkedIN. To be a member of LinedIn you really have to put a lot of personal infromation, public.

Where you work, where you live, what you do, etc. These are very personal details.

For me, it became a harassment arrangement. Weirdos calling me at all times of the day, not asking me about a job, but asking me about my BF, threatening to call my HR, which they did do and which caused consternation.

In a positive way, I was able to hunt down a buddy who designed hearing aids in the KW area. Apparently this is a burgeoning economy. That was nice for the both of us, he moved back to Sweden, but should such a thing be so available?

So I deleted my LinkedIN account. Nobody should know my business.

-jM
A&D

stryker

TRIBE Member
Colleagues and industry related people I'm usually pretty quick with but if it's a client I'm still never sure. I'm going to bite the bullet this time and add them before my 3mo probation.

stew :)