• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

How flexible is your work day?

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Are you a strict 9-5er? 8-4er? 11-7er?

Can you switch it up? Work Tuesday - Saturday or take Wednesday off and then work Sunday? Work 10-6 or 11:30-7:30 or 3-11?

Does that kind of flexibility even exist? Do you think it should?

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I have a decent amount of flexibility - work from home 1 day a week, can generally work whatever hours I need to, though the office mostly runs on a 9-5 so to avoid issues coming up when I'm not there, I adhere to that. except on days when I work at home and I generally am working 7:30-4.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
8:30am-5:15pm Tuesday to Friday
9am - 4pm Saturday
Sunday & Monday off.
NOT. FLEXIBLE. WHATSOEVER.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I work 7 till 5 Monday to Thursday...
Fridays I leave as early as I can depending on what comes up...

Mind you I have a lots of flexibility... If I need to come in late and work my hours later thats fine...

I think flexibility is important in the workplace... You never know what will pop up in life :)

deep

TRIBE Member
For my circumstances - fairly flexible. Can come and go whenever I want, but the caveat is that you need to be around to coordinate with others, so that kind of standardizes things. As well, things move pretty fast, so you can't be sitting out a day or two here and there. In practice no one really makes use of the time they could technically take off if they wanted to. The minimum required hours per week is less relevant than what needs to be done.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
I work monday-friday, hours are usually on me, depends on the amount of work I have. Of course there hasn't been a day when I didn't leave before 5 on my own accord, but if I come in on weekends lets say and work, I usually take the next friday off.

kmac

TRIBE Member
It's totally flexible when they would like me to do something outside of work hours, like tonight.

*grumble grumble*

But they are pretty good with giving me time off in lieu, like this Thursday, when I will be enjoying a liquid lunch.

sugar

TRIBE Member
As long as I do my 40 hours a week, it doesn't really matter how I arrange it. I generally work 9:30 - 5:30 because of the bus schedules out here in booneyville.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
I have a decent amount of flexibility - work from home 1 day a week, can generally work whatever hours I need to, though the office mostly runs on a 9-5 so to avoid issues coming up when I'm not there, I adhere to that. except on days when I work at home and I generally am working 7:30-4.
Yeah I pretty much have the same deal. I work at home every morning from about 8-9:30/10 to avoid rush hour, then head to the office for the rest of the work day. I can work from home all day if I choose but it can be complicated as I deal with large printed drawings that can only be printed at work.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I have a very flexible work day.

Basically I meet with my boss every monday morning to discuss what needs to get done for the week. Then we meet up again on friday to see where we are at. What I do with my time during the week is up to me as long as I hit those deadlines.
Keeping in mind I at least have to be in the office from 9-5pm.

This allows me to hit the gym during my lunch break for an hour and a half or so, come in between 9-930 and leave between 430-5pm.

rhyss

TRIBE Member
9 +/- to 5 +/-...but lots of give and take in between.

I like it when employers understand that I will give 40+ hours a week and the occassional weekend and will keep my blackberry on 24/7 but I might need an hour or a day here and there for my mental well being.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
i definitely think there should be that flexibility.
My company is operational 8-8. we service people in BC and Alberta so we have to be open to deal with them in their business hours.
Everyone has to work one late shift so i took Mondays (who wants to get up early mondays anyways) so i work 11-8 mondays and then i decided to work 10-6:30 during the week so i can sleep in

Now its the summer and i have volleyball and stuff at night so i told them i wanted 8-430. i think you like your job a lot more if you dont feel like you're totally tied down without any leverage on your own.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
true enough, but in some roles it doesn't make sense for employees to be coming and going as they please. one of my summer jobs required all of the people in the office work the same hours as the first shift in the plant did, which was 7-3:30. that was a fun summer, seeing as I had to bike there everyday. for 7.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
technically i am supposed to work 9 to 5, but as a publicist it means i'm out of the office (still working) during the day, late into the evening, and even on weekends running around with my authors for interviews, events and such. my new place is bullshit and not flexible at all. i'm expected to be in at 9pm unless i am at an interview. i have been working until 7 or 8 lately because of the insane amount of work i have, but i will not be recognized for it in terms of getting any lieu time. this, imo, is complete bullshit. there's nothing i can do about it except leave at 5, which means sacrificing my reputation as the work that really needs to get done, just won't. i simply don't have enough hours in the day during the busy months of the year.

I have a really flexible work schedule, especially ever since yesterday, when my boss told me she was going to work something out about me working from home for a couple more days a week (currently, I work from home 1 day a week).

Generally I need to support my clients during their work hours, so it's not really like I could take off Mondays and Tuesdays and cram those hours into the other 3 work days a week...

Actually, I think I'd be allowed to do that, but just not on the regular.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
+yeah although that being said its the busy season right now in the mortgage industry so i've been workingmor e9-8 every day and saturdays 10-7...it sjust that there is so much work.

aether

TRIBE Member
I've worked from home for the past, .. 5 years now? I used to set my schedule completely, which resulted in me staying up until 4 and sleeping in until 11 every day. Now that the company's bigger I have to stay in contact from approximately 9-5, so I have a much more regular schedule. It's probably healthier.

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
9-5 m-f, but I'm not stuck at my desk, can take breaks and shit when ever I want, have no problems with taking days off as long as we don't have some big case coming up that I'm doing "important" work on and still get my weekends unless asked otherwise. If I needed to, or wanted to, I could change my hours to like 8:30-4:30 or 9:30-5:30 or whatever, as long as I'm in for the 8 hours.

I alos have no "dress code" which is the kicker

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
My work hours aren't flexible, but they still rock. I work from 7:45 AM to 5:15 PM Tuesday to Friday, which means I have 3-day weekends every weekend. :D

xopus

TRIBE Member
my main work is in a freelance field. sometimes the flexibility is great; if i want to take a day off, i can just not take any work for that day, and i'm golden. It can also suck though, in two aspects. Sometimes work will be slow, so paychecks end up being pretty low (hence why i have another more steady position to fall back onto), and when you end up with crazy hours....like tonight, i'm working 11pm-9am. When things get busy, you can have days that go from that, to a call that starts at noon, and goes till 6pm. So while having the flexibility to set my own days off is great, it also has a flipside. But i still love the field i'm in, so its all good.

why not

TRIBE Member
somewhat flexible - i don't have defined hours, but i do have deadlines. as long as i meet the deadlines, doesn't really matter when i do the work.
other than that, i've got one meeting a week, and i have to go out at night a few times a week.

i guess that's not so bad, but sometimes i miss a strict 9 to 5. sometimes this feels like i'm never really off the clock, as i've always got upcoming assignments, and i'm always on-call should the shit hit the fan.

Ms. C

TRIBE Member
flexibility wasn't really something my office had considered. It was 9-5, M-F or else…until they hired about a half dozen under 30’s….they still grumble if we need to change our schedules, but we don’t really give them the option to say NO.