• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How easy is it to replace a Power Supply?

silver1

TRIBE Member
Reason being that I'm getting a new video card and it plugs into the power supply.

Everywhere I've been reading says the card requires a min 300W power supply but people out there are suggesting an even bigger one (like a 500W).

I only have a 230W in my machine right now.

So is it easy to replace? Like "Just mark down which connectors go where and plug the right ones of the new supply in the same spot"?

Or is it a bit trickier and I risk frying something if I mess it up?

Any help is appreciated.

deep

TRIBE Member
Easy. Just make sure you're getting the right form factor for your case - 99% likely that it will just be an ATX power supply. If you're not sure just look at the label on your existing power supply and it should say.

As for brands, I recommend Antec. Basically you'll just have to unplug all the power cables from your components, then unscrew the power supply from the case, reverse directions.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Hey Deep, how can I tell the current wattage of my power supply?

Looking at the label on it, it says:

+5V & +3V combined 230W +5V & +3V & +12V combined 422W. Total Output 450W

So is it really a 450W power supply? (i.e. do i perhaps not need a new one?)

I'm not to educated on this kind of stuff.

I really don't want to buy a new one if I don't need one.

threeflavours

TRIBE Member
I ran into the same problem when I upgraded my board and video card.
For some reason, my video card wants a power supply connection right to it.
My mainboard also needed a small 4-pin connector also. If you don't need that connector, you might be able to get away with what you have, depending on the plug that your video card needs..
It's nice to have the higher wattage, but most of the time, people overkill on certain stuff. Your PS should be fine if the video card needs a standard plug..

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
silver1 said:
Hey Deep, how can I tell the current wattage of my power supply?

Looking at the label on it, it says:

+5V & +3V combined 230W +5V & +3V & +12V combined 422W. Total Output 450W

So is it really a 450W power supply? (i.e. do i perhaps not need a new one?)

I'm not to educated on this kind of stuff.

I really don't want to buy a new one if I don't need one.
I think it's a 450 watt supply. The 230w seemed to just be a description of the 5 volt and 3 volt rails.

djfear

TRIBE Member
djdeposit said:
450W for a video card?
WTF are you running there? the jumbo tron at rogers center?
All new hardware requires ridiculous power supplies nowadays. I luckily was suggested on this board the Antec 2 case with a 450 power supply which I currently use. I believe it's "barely enough" to run my one video card and all the other stuff, simply because everything uses up so much more power.

Next time you're upgrading your desktop PC, you should budget in for an extra $60-100 power supply unit.

Stan

TRIBE Member
The PSU power rating is the total wattage of all the rails, so yes, it is a 450 watt power supply that you have. You should probably be good to go, depending on what brand name it is. Note however that some cheaper no-name PSUs have an actual power output much lower than what they are rated for. If it's a cheap no-name brand, you should probably subtract 50 to 100 W from the official rating. Either way, you're still good to go, unless you have a bunch of other power hogging stuff in your computer (high speed CPU, SCSI drives, multiple high speed cd burners, etc).

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
I guess I could see that a video card requires lots of power for the speeds required in todays technological orgasm.

I just never though it would be 450W
Dang.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Gunark

TRIBE Member
seriously what the hell kind of graphics card are you running?

the most powerful card you can get right now -- an overlocked Radeon X1900 XTX -- pulls ~120W at PEAK usage... and 99% of the time, when idling, it pulls ~30W

and even if you have a dual core pentium 4 in there, that's still only about 150W at the absolute maximum...

unless you're doing something really weird, 500W is kind of excessive. What you need is not high wattage, but quality. Antec are okay, but I've had two of those burn out on me in the past, so I don't trust them. Get an Enermax.

Last edited:

silver1

TRIBE Member
It's an ATI AiW 9800 Pro. It says the requirements are a 300W supply but reviews I've read for it say it's better to have a more powerful supply.

Meh. Either way it's up and running now and SW: Empire at War looks and runs sweet.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Yeah wattage is really a secondary concern. Quality and brand name is the most important thing. I've had a 420W Enermax for about 4 years now, still going strong. It's lasted me through several upgrades and is probably the best investment I've made so far on my computer. Anyway, 450W is *more* than enough for a 9800Pro, even an AIW.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
silver1 said:
It's an ATI AiW 9800 Pro. It says the requirements are a 300W supply but reviews I've read for it say it's better to have a more powerful supply.

Meh. Either way it's up and running now and SW: Empire at War looks and runs sweet.

meh i run my ati x800 on my shuttle xpc computer and it's only 235 watt

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Puma

TRIBE Member
Get a nice heavy one.

there all kinds of shity power supplys out there with nice 400W and + labels but they have shity components inside. The shity ones are light. The good ones are heavy.

Now days its important to have a good power supply at least 400 .

Last edited: