• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How do you record your sets?

jasonchaos

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by ian
I just bought one of these:

24 bit Recording, Wave or MP3 and Compact Flash based memory. So far I'm loving the ease of use and the quality. It is a bit expensive though. It's more aimed at the professional I think.
thats nice how much if you don't mind me asking

cheers j

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Pascal
I've just recently started recording my mixes to cd (Get with the times Homer!!!!). I use a machine called (I think) HB Burn It 830.
It allows me to record my mixes the same as I would to a cassette tape and to me, the only downfall is that unless I have someone there, I don't indent my mixes track for track. Besides, I like leaving it as one long track anyways. My mix tells more of a story then.
LOL

Art Official

TRIBE Member
I have everything hooked up to my comp of course...so i just cue up sound forge 6 7 or 8, check the levels and press record...its too easy...35 sets later. When i want to break into tracks i just cut n paste.

AshG

^
word of advice - don't ever chop up mixes.
its completely unnecessary, time consuming, and will sometimes result in little clips at those track marks.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
What's a good App to recorde your sets in?

I have a mac and I was looking at Sound Forge, but Sound Forge only works for MicroSoft.

w_ashley

TRIBE Member
mute79 said:
i record straight to my minidisk, then export it to windows... never had any problems and the quality is always outstanding...

On this same topic of MD - I have a sony mini disk and sony's standard MD program Sonic Stage doesn't seem to support export from MD to computer - do you use a program to export - or do you use d/a audio out from the minidisc player/recorder

w_ashley

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
Hey, on the topic of recording to line-in, does anyone use a laptop for their recording? If so, have any of you noticed the noise that usually gets picked up on the line in? (Yes, even with top-notch components, a perfectly clean signal and a line-in recording channel with all other channels muted) ... I really want to buy a laptop and use Ableton live with my setup, while recording. The problem is that I just don't want to have to deal with that static... :-\
why not get an external soundcard like the extigy or newer models --- or really highend ones. extigy uses usb1 so it could in theory even be used with an older laptop..

casparproject

TRIBE Promoter
Dat

I use my Tascam DAT recorder. It's never failed me yet. I can't say so much for any computer I've ever owned. For live recording you can't take that chance.

p

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Hey!

I'm looking for a "stand alone" recorder for live dj sets/performances. I don't want to use my laptop and i'd like to have as many inputs on the recorder as possible. After reviewing the thread, the iRiver ihp-120 seems to meet most of these needs. However, that was recommended almost 3yrs ago.

I'd like: to be able to transfer the recording to my computer w/ ease, long battery life, ease of use, balanced inputs (RCA, 1/4 inch, event 1/8 inch) enough memory to handle 12hrs of recording, and be relatively lightweight/durable.

Suggestions please!

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I searched iKEY and found the iKEY Plus but couldn't find any info on it's storage capacity anywhere! How much memory does this thing have?

Chaz

TRIBE Member
PC Laptop
Echo Mona
Soundforge
Waves mastering plugins.

I've used this setup for years with great results and zero issues. Soundforge is stable and powerful as an editor. It easily let's you export regions and set up track markers. I have never had a glitch or skip on any mix. I find it strange that so many people have had issues with this kind of setup.

Although - I have heard many complaints from people using cracked versions of the software.

Last edited:

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
You need to check alot of things. Make sure you have nothing thats starts up on your toolbar when you boot up. You have to make sure you set your program settings to optimize to multi threading if you have a multicore processor. You have to adjust your sound card settings for latency. Depending on your motherboard you can overclock your processor. Get as much ram as you can. You can devote memory from your graphics by changing your operating system settings. Get a faster harddrive that reads and writes quicker. Partition your harddrive and install your plugins on a seperate partition from the one your software is installed on. Start with that.

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
Oh yeah once you've maximized your ram, reduce your paging file so your cpu doesn't require your harddrive for memory. It slows it down. It needs to be able to access the ram directly.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
I key is dope. I now have one thanks to the GF. Records directly on to your ipod or to a gig stick. Wave or mp3. Badness.

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
I key is dope. I now have one thanks to the GF. Records directly on to your ipod or to a gig stick. Wave or mp3. Badness.
Yeah thats Ok for Djing i guess but not for recording. You want to record at a higher sample rate or else you lose track dynamics. I mean if you use the DJM 800. Whats the point of having a high sample rate output if the original track is an mp3. Its still gonna sound like shit.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
1. It records in wave, like I said.
2. Who's putting out sets in better then 320 mp3 anyways?
Most sets are 192 these days dude.
What are you outputting from a cdj that isn't a set and needs more then 16 bit 44.1? Plus this thread is about recording sets Dingle, so what are u on about?

Last edited:

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
I understand what your saying but I'll explain it to you if the original wave isn't recorded at the same sample rate as the output like for instance 96k then the sound resolution (the dynamics) isn't there so when you play it out at 96k your just hearing the compressed version of the actual song. Don't get me wrong. 320 mp3s are considered cd quality but you have to remember that cd quality is only 44.1k which means that a 320 mp3 is a compressed version of 44.1k. So if you play that through a mixer that outputs 96k your not getting the most out of it and it changes your tempo map which changes the bpm at times. If your wave is 96k on a cd which is impossible then you would get the best sound quality. But if you use an external harddrive with 96k wave files and try it. You'll know exactly what i mean. It takes more harddrive space....but theres always going to be enough room for a set if you have a big harddrive.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Are you talking about a sample rate of 96 K as opposed to 44.1? or a 96kbps mp3? No shit an mp3 is never gonna be reproduced when recreated to 16 bit 44.1 even if it's on a cd. However if you're talking about recording a set at something with a sample rate of 96k you cant reproduce that on a cd which has a standard output of 16bit at 44.1 anyways. So no matter how slowly you try to explain it to me, you still don't make any sense. For the most part people record sets to post them and compress them to mp3 anyways. But if youre talking about recording for a cd the Wav function is just fine.