• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How do you record your sets?

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I've been recording my mixes right to my laptop hard drive via an USB external soundcard. It's been somewhat problematic. For one, the sound card isn't working with my system quite right and my sets have clicks and crackle right from the source recording. I also have to turn off some programs and my internet because if some program, like my virus update, starts running in the middle of a set it causes hiccups in the recording due to a drain on resources. It's a minor annoyance but the few times I've forgotten to do it caused me grief. There's nothing worse then laying down a nice tight mix only to find out the recording is fucked.

So how do you record your sets? I'd like to find a cheap alternative to the method I'm using and also one that doesn't require me to record the finished product to my computer analogue style for editing.

db

TRIBE Member
iRiver ihp-120. Line in, optical in, external mic. Recording in WAV and MP3. Pretty much got all my bases covered. :)

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
buy a mac | buy more ram & get rid of USB sc | dual boot windows - 1 workstation profile, 1 studio use profile.

iNlit

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by db
iRiver ihp-120. Line in, optical in, external mic. Recording in WAV and MP3. Pretty much got all my bases covered. :)
im doin the exact same.
direct record to the ihp120 w/ 192kbps

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by db
Yep.
only with MP3

Bigass DAT machine
Minidisk

all work frickin awesome for me!

AshG

well, i have never trusted my hd, as something's always gone wrong when i've done it that way.

so, always first to md for me, then to hd.
no problems ever with that.

i suppose i really ought to record to dat first, but whateva.

ekitel

TRIBE Member
I've used a MIA Midi soundcard installed into my old Pentium III desktop with Sound Forge, never had any problems like that, maybe you shoudl try different software

mute79

TRIBE Member
i record straight to my minidisk, then export it to windows... never had any problems and the quality is always outstanding...

AshG

Originally posted by ekitel
I've used a MIA Midi soundcard installed into my old Pentium III desktop with Sound Forge, never had any problems like that, maybe you shoudl try different software
tried that and cooledit, and something always comes up.
way i figure it, why fuck around with that shit at all?

MD sounds great, and have never had a problem in 6 years of use or so.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
what MD are you guys using that gives great sounding recordings? I've used several Sony MD's and thought the quality while decent was nothing compared to what I got recording straight to the comp.

That said, I agree, I hate recording to the PC, I have an iRiver and a Powerbook, never had any problems recording to either of them.

Funk MD, yeah USB sound card on a lappy = eeeee. How often do you defrag? If the answer is not often, then I would also suggest at least once a week, and definitely right before you record to it.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I will try to defrag next time I go to record something. Every little bit helps I'm sure.

I think the main problem (ie the pops and static) come from the shitty quality of the USB ports themselves. Despite being 2.0 I don't think I'm getting enough bandwidth to handle the job.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I know what I have access to is not really an option for most but:

1200s modified to self grounding xlr outputs into dedicated audiophile preamps into line in of Xone 62 mixer.

to

2 Avalon preamp/compressors(one for left one for right)

to

A Valve/tube interface

to a dedicated studio computer running Nuendo recorded at 24 bit/96khz.

dreamy.

We have ADAT capability so I might try avoiding the computer until I need to encode the file.

I haven't actually done one of my mixes with this set up but you can listen to Sarah Mixington's latest that was done in the studio on that setup.

Although you don't get the full effect with the encoded mp3 version.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Wiseman
1200s modified to self grounding xlr outputs into dedicated audiophile preamps into line in of Xone 62 mixer.
What's the advantage to doing this? It seems like a lot of extra work to acheive the same thing.

Also if anyone wants to offer up some time for me to record a couple of sets on their studio setups I'd bring the beer!

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
I will try to defrag next time I go to record something. Every little bit helps I'm sure.

I think the main problem (ie the pops and static) come from the shitty quality of the USB ports themselves. Despite being 2.0 I don't think I'm getting enough bandwidth to handle the job.
It goes both ways .. my friend Tom records constantly for hours on a USB sound card withouth problems, but his lappy is always fully defragged before doing so.

I don't think its so much a bandwidth problem (though depending on the laptop and what else you have going on, the bus could be shared with a myriad of other inputs (video, network, serial etc.). Laptop drive speeds are invariably either 4400 or 5400 RPM (unless you buy specify 7200 RPM in your specs when buying $$). This leads to slow seek times and thus if the drive is fragmented, the slow seek time can cause a buffer overflow on the sound card input. (thus your pops and clicks). More RAM and a good defrag schedule (There's a third party defragging prog that works much better than the Windows one too, but I can't for the life of me remember the name right now) will certainly fix these problems.

I just hate USB, that's why I said eeeee, firewire 800 baby, that's the life for me.

circle

TRIBE Member
We use this badboy. Sound quality is superior, and cutting it down to tracks is so easy my 3 year old nephew can do it. Also has a burner which is an added bonus.

Boss BR1200CD 12-Track Recorder

recoil

TRIBE Member
I just record out from my mixer straight to my harddrive

except when i am broadcasting live, then since my cheap soundcard can only do one thing at a time, I have to use my other mixer line out to record to tape deck, and then when I'm done I feed that recording into soundforge.

this method sucks cuz obviously the tape cassette bitrate is terrible

I use a Soundblaster Live Value and soundforge. does anyone know if there is any plug ins or a way to configure it so I can broadcast with shoutcast and record it in soundforge at the same time?

right now it won't let me. if i open up shoutcast first, then soundforge won't let me record, and if i hit record first in soundforge, then shoutcast won't run. ideally I'd just go out and buy a high quality soundcard but it's not in my budget right now, so in the meantime I'd love to know if there is a way i can make it do both

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
I use a Pioneer 600 with the master channel plugged into an Audiophile 2496 on my comp. I record directly into Steinberg's Wavelab. I'm quite happy with the results, it could always be better, but I'm learning different ways to tweak it more.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by recoil

I use a Soundblaster Live Value and soundforge. does anyone know if there is any plug ins or a way to configure it so I can broadcast with shoutcast and record it in soundforge at the same time?
I use an identical set up. What do you do to "master" your recordings? Currently i just normalize and that's it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan

ian

TRIBE Member
I use one of the following:

1) DAT (easiest and best).

2) Iriver IHP 120 (either RCA to stereo jack or else Optical with my mixer plugged into a pass-through device like a DAT or CD burner). I'll record to either wave or 320 Kps MP3.

3) Straight to CD via a HHB CD Recorder (skips kind of easily if bumped, but excellent recoding quality and super easy).

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by ian
3) Straight to CD via a HHB CD Recorder (skips kind of easily if bumped, but excellent recoding quality and super easy).
What do one of these cost? Where can you find one?

beaker

TRIBE Member
you might be able to optimize your windows settings for recording audio. there's a whole website devoted to it: www.musicxp.net

you just need to make sure that certain background processes aren't running. i think your usb interface might be okay too since you're just recording a stereo signal.