• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How do you pick a School Trustee when you have never heard of any of them before?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
OK, here is a dumb question I guess...

I have a pretty good grasp on who I will be voting for in the Mayor and Councillor sections of the ballot, but when comes to voting time I will be confronted with trying to vote for 3 different trustees who I have never heard of before.

I don't have kids and the people I know with kids never talk about school trustees, so generally I usually just pick names at random.

Is there a better way?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Its not as if there is a lot of information on these people out there. They don't door knock either.

For example, here is Mark Borden's web page for our Ward:

silver1

TRIBE Member
Well, if dude can't run a simple website properly then I think that eliminates him from your vote, so now your choice is down to 2!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
This dude has the best logo, which takes up 98% of the content on his web page.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
If you look at that logo long enough it switches back and forth between a depiction of an owl AND a monkey. Optical illusion!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well, OWL/Monkey guy has my vote for sheer graphic design brilliance. 2 more Trustee categories to investigate!

SJN

TRIBE Member
This is going to sound terrible, but I honestly have no idea what a School Trustee actually does. What is their mandate? What kind of qualifications should one have to be effective?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
This is going to sound terrible, but I honestly have no idea what a School Trustee actually does.
Me neither! LOL but you said it first.

from recent reports in the media, I know they expense packs of gum and manicures to their budgets , but as to what they actually do.... hmmm....

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Alex, here is the list of trustees running in your ward with their websites:

MyVote - Who is running in my ward

I also find it tough to decide which trustee to vote for. So far I'm looking at who is endorsing them, and when I met a couple of them I asked them for their take on the Sam Sotiropoulos drama to see where they stand on that. At some point this week I'm going to email them with a list of questions and will probably make a decision based on their answers.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Can I vote for the Catholic one AND ALSO the regular one? Or can you only vote in one category?

It is all so confusing.

acheron

TRIBE Member
you vote for whichever board, or trustee candidate you want to show support for. But only one. it doesn't actually affect anything anymore as schools are funded according to an unrelated formula applied by the Province.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Owl/Monkey logo guy it is then! In my area there is the incumbent who has been there for over a decade (TERM LIMITS FOR SCHOOL TRUSTEES!), and then there are other candidates with slick websites most probably paid for by the respective political parties who's provincial candidates are endorsing them.

From my couple of hours of research into the school trustee candidates. It seems to me this school trustee thing is kind of a little league/grassroots way for the NDP, the PCs, and the LIBERALS to get their claws into neighborhoods and do marketing at street level. It is kind of insidious how these political parties try to infiltrate services in neighborhoods IMO.

At least OWL/Monkey logo chap Otoya has a picture on his website with himself & Olivia Chow AND a pic of himself AND Rob Ford. There might even be a picture with him and John Tory there somewhere.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Can I vote for the Catholic one AND ALSO the regular one? Or can you only vote in one category?

It is all so confusing.
You can only vote for the catholic trustee if you are catholic and a supporter (meaning with your property taxes) of the separate school board. To vote for the french trustee you need to be a french language rights holder.

Techdruid

TRIBE Member
Great chat on CFRB Tuesday about School Trustees where Jim Richards had an interview with one from Brampton asking.... "So, what exactly DO you do?"

"Um, well we oversee things"..... *dead air*

Owl/Monkey for Trustee, if only for the Arts!

erika

TRIBE Member
this is a reasonable place to start:
Every Candidate · More than just the race for mayor

You can also wander your neighbourhood and see which trustees are sort of aligning themselves with which councillor candidate based on signs, or at what events they appear together.

As with any Board, the trustee's role is to represent the public interest and provide some kind of "oversight" to the Board itself.

Think Toronto Police Services Board vs Toronto Police Service.

No qualifications required other than citizenship and residency as far as I know (same for councillor and mayor actually).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders