• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How do you measure the resistance of your tongue?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
With a mutimeter? I found one here at the secret TRIBE office and there is one rotating knob on it with a million different settings. I can't even find characters to type in this post for the different settings - it looks like greek to me.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
When I set it at 2M it gives me a reading of .652... I wonder if that is good...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

zoo

TRIBE Member
The resistance a 9V battery will see across your tongue depends on how hard you press it on there and the exact chemistry of your saliva (if you just ate something salty, your saliva will be more conductive), but if my tongue's representative, the fiddling I just did with a multimeter suggests that around 70 kiloohms is a reasonable figure

The reason why the resistance is still way up in the thousands of ohms is that the tongue, wet though it is, still has a skin-like surface, composed of the taste buds and their supporting structures and so on. If your tongue were just a bleeding piece of meat then the resistance would be much lower (flesh and blood is salty, and quite conductive); for the same reason, stabbing a couple of probes in there and hooking them up to 9V would result in much more current flow (and much more pain).

Regarding the immersed-hands thing - a bit of experimentation with a multimeter, the kitchen sink and a saucepan has just showed me that I can get the resistance across my body down to about 5,000 ohms, with both hands immersed in clean water in metal-walled containers, and meter probes connected to those containers (which're otherwise insulated from each other, of course; if I put the metal saucepan straight on the metal sink-top without putting the breadboard under it that I did, there'd be an all-metal path from one probe contact to the other, and my body would have functionally no effect on the circuit no matter what I did).

Interestingly, the resistance I got in this experiment slowly rose, presumably because the cold water was causing blood circulation in my hands to fall.

Adding some salt to the water got the resistance down to about 3500 ohms.

http://www.dansdata.com/danletters146b.htm

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
depends what are we doing with "said" tongue?

Like I would say the resistance of your tongue would be greater when performing the tongue tornado versus the flickering flower peddle.