• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How do you ask for a raise?

JLV

TRIBE Member
I've been working (my butt off) with this Company for over a year. I'm highly regarded as a valued employee among my superiors, and my colleagues. I’m constantly handed extra work that is not in my job description, and complete it accurately and punctually. I come in early, and stay late. I am relied on, and trusted. I've made vast improvements to organization procedures, more then doubled production and over all revenues.

I deserve a raise!

How do I ask??

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I think you just did

but you asked tribe where most members will laugh at you. Just keep in mind whatever you think of your performance doesn't matter, you'll always be a number and easily replaced

so don't get greedy

D-Rea

TRIBE Member
Ask....

Know why you want it and why you deserve it.

Chances are if your superiors hold you at such high regard they will give it the consideration you deserve!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
In all seriousness JLV, it sounds like you have credible arguments. Do you have a formal review process? If not, you're going to have to go in there and ask, arguments and evidence in hand. You can also refer to market stats on what the going rate is for your job title, but keep in mind that the employer does actually have the last say on what they think the job is worth to them, and that may have nothing to do with whether it compares favourably to market averages. There's a section on negotiations and salaries at monster if you want some primers. But really when it comes down to it, it's knowing what you want, what you're willing to accept and then making your case for the former but falling back to the latter if necessary. Negotiating right after delivering a major project, some big benefit to the company, upon your contract or performance review or after you've gotten an offer from somewhere else also adds considerable leverage to your position.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member

This is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel like giving JVL a raise?" Well, do ya punk?
b

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
haha.

Managers love people like you.

Sorry though, it’s not in the budget this year. In fact- my “superior” said that I might have to lay some people off later this month. Just hang in there and keep working overtime every day. We’re really happy with your performance!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
Of course. And gotten what I want. Although my initial comment was kind of tongue in cheek and I gave some other pointers in a later post, I really do think that confidence and self valuation is probably an issue here. You may not like the analysis but the things you've said so far are fairly indicative of that, and it might be a limiting factor on whether or not you get treated the way you believe you deserve.

Hard working and trusting people are often undercompensated, sometimes people who end up delivering less but are better politicians end up getting more than they deserve.

Last edited:

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
It's only difficult if you cannot come up with a detailed list of things you have accomplished over the year to prove to them you deserve the raise.

TRIBE Member
JLV said:
dude... harsh.. and not that easy.

it's more ackward and difficult then you can imagine. have you ever asked for a raise??
Probably not. I wouldn't hire him to rake my lawn, let alone give him a raise.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Surfer Joe

TRIBE Member
From The Onion

Salary-Negotiation Tips

While it takes courage and know-how, negotiating your salary often pays off. Here are a few things to know before you meet with your employer:

Be sure to type out a list of your demands in advance. You may forget to add the cold-cuts tray if you go by memory.

As a rule of thumb, always roll your eyes and sigh loudly at your employer's first two offers.

Determine the current market's salary range for positions in your field of expertise. Do this by looking at the per-hour wage posted in the front window.

Only you know your own worth. Do whatever it takes to make sure no one else finds out what it is.

If you're a recent immigrant to the U.S., offer to do any job for 50 percent of what they'd pay a natural-born citizen.

Be persuasive, but not pushy. Ah, fuck it—be pushy.

To make a strong case, clearly demonstrate your financial needs to your employer. Present him or her with the phone bill showing all those 900-number calls.

Always determine what your salary will be before you jump in the back of the pick-up.

Tell your employer that you will begin to work at your full capacity if given a raise.

Never be the first to mention salary during an interview. Instead, say something like, "Why don't you cut to the chase? We both know why I'm here."

Decide the salary you feel you need before you go into your boss' office. During the interview, reduce it by 25 percent. After the interview, tell yourself that the original figure was ridiculously high.

Most entry-level positions have salaries that are less negotiable, but don't let that stop you from making an ass of yourself at the Tastee Freeze.

If your employer asks why you think you deserve a higher salary, stare at him like a deer caught in headlights.

If you don't get a raise, steal a bunch of shit and chuckle to yourself about your new bonus package.

Ask if you need to wear a uniform at the job. If not, take whatever they're giving.

deep

TRIBE Member
416 said:
Probably not. I wouldn't hire him to rake my lawn, let alone give him a raise.
I'll just have to do it pro bono for a few years until I make you believe in my commitment to your lawn.

deep

TRIBE Member
Lil'Timmy said:
I don't think she's fully prepared to dress in the maid uniform and bark like a dog like you did to get your raise deep :p
Whatever mental images turn your crank Timmah!

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
JLV said:
I've been working (my butt off) with this Company for over a year. I'm highly regarded as a valued employee among my superiors, and my colleagues. I’m constantly handed extra work that is not in my job description, and complete it accurately and punctually. I come in early, and stay late. I am relied on, and trusted. I've made vast improvements to organization procedures, more then doubled production and over all revenues.

I deserve a raise!

How do I ask??
you would pretty much forward that whole thing less the last line to your boss.

deep

TRIBE Member
You remember kid (or play, whichever the fuck it was)? I did his cameo dude! Think what I can do with a hedge!