• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How do I watch the films I have downloaded to a seedbox?

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Nerd Question Alert:

How do I stream my movies from my seedbox to my computer? I have done a ton of reading cant find the answer.

Is VLC going to add Chromecast support?

What other Video playback software supports Chromecast?

I have PLEX but it is buggy and bloated.

thanks y'all

Stop Bill C-10

derek

TRIBE Member
you need to ftp the files from the seedbox to your computer

not sure you can stream straight from a seedbox

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Who is running PLEX? Like it?

I find it buggy. It loses my folder structure and tags movies weird titles. Takes me 15 minutes to load up the film i want to watch.

I love my chrome cast, wish VLC could cast the file.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I run plex...it's okay. I don't have enough upload to actually use it other than locally, and yeah there's some fun in the re-matching mismatched titles. But it does work. Waiting on fiber to actually test it outside. Also, it's a CPU hog. Ran it on my NAS for a time and it was buggy as heck. Now I run the server on my beefier main desktop, and it works pretty well.

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
I run plex (locally) with almost zero problems. it serves from my media centre, and I run it on a bunch of android devices to cast to chromecasts throughout the house. Other than the odd renaming issue this application works great in my environment for movies and tv shows with no loading time issues.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

jw

TRIBE Member
Given that you have mentioned VLC, the easiest way would be to do the following on your seed box.

Code:
cd /the/path/to/your/illegal/content
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 49152 # note do *not* run this as root

Then in VLC. File / Open Network . In the URL textbox, enter http://your.seed.box.com:49152/human_traffic.mp4 . Where human_traffic.mp4 is the name of the file you wish to stream.

This starts a server on your seedbox, exporting the directory in which it was initiated. You can then access any file over http. You can then in turn use any client that can open an HTTP stream to view these files.

The above assumes a few things
* Your seed box has a solid upstream network connection and can send the file at a continuous rate of traffic (see streaming - How much bandwith is required to stream 1080p? - Super User ).
* Your home connection can receive a rate of network throughput at roughly for the resolution of the video . ~10Mbps for 1080p.
* Your seedbox, provides shell access and has python installed
* Your client can stream from HTTP (VLC can do this).
* Your seed-box does not sit behind a firewall and the port (tcp 49152) is open on the network and accessible over the internet

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Who is running PLEX? Like it?

I find it buggy. It loses my folder structure and tags movies weird titles. Takes me 15 minutes to load up the film i want to watch.

I love my chrome cast, wish VLC could cast the file.

?? How is it taking that long to load a movie? is it connecting to a server or is it playing off something locally?

I use it almost exclusively for everything. Most of my movies and TV shows are in my NAS and it takes about 2 seconds for it to load 720p movies or shows.