• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

how do I join the Free Mason's?

Originally posted by JayIsBored
obelix.gif

Obelix!

loved those books...
asterix.jpg

joining the masons

you don't have to be the son of a mason, but it helps. you have to be an upstanding member of society (ie not a drug dealer), hetrosexual, and something of a self made man (very loosely determined). two masons in good standing must recommend you. you ahve to be dedicated to upholding order in society. the masons actually do tons and tons of charity work.

the knights of columbus are freemason wannabes, the pope said catholics cannot be masons, so they came up with the knights of columbus. the masons themselves are fairly secualr, despite their structural 'mysteries'.

shriners are not the lowest, they are a middle/high level of mason.

masons in canada are way more discrete than in the states, canadian mason are forbidden from putting the compass mark on their cars or wearing it too openly. but you will see the mark on the signs outside of most small towns in canada.

the 'secret' handshake involves applying pressure with your 3rd finger as you grasp. lodges have different recognition signs.

my cousin is a very high ranking member in montreal, but i decided i didn't want to join because i'm spiritually much more aligned with chaos than with order.

Originally posted by stir-fry
i've heard they have religious beliefs that they have to uphold.
not really, they do make a stipulation that to join you must believe in god, but it can be any god and they do not discriminate by how you worship your god.

they refer to all gods as the great architect if i'm not mistaken.

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
A few of the men in my family were freemasons.

To be a member you have to:
1) be male
2) be over a certain age
3) believe in a supreme being (i.e. monotheistic religious views). The "G" in their symbol stands for "God"
4) generally get sponsored or recommended by members of the lodge you want to join. They will probably want to meet you and your wife and family, to make sure you all mesh with their happy little world view.

If you get in, your wife and daughters may be able to be involved in the auxilliary groups for "lady relatives" of masons.

It's all a little too 1873 for me. Realize if you join any connections and benefits you receive will be from a group that discriminates on gender and religious grounds. I'm not saying don't join, that kind of disposition might fit with your personal views just fine, more power to you. Just don't pretend it's anything other than what it is.

On the plus side, many of the men are nice, in that outdated way that makes you want to pet them on the head, and they donate a fair bit of coin to charity. There are lots of conspiracy theories about them having broad social influence and so on. From what I've witnessed, it's just another club where boys get together and try to make themselves feel important. I don't particularly like the views of the organisation, but I think it may have some value in today's changing world where new roles for women etc. have made many men are unsure of their place in society. Perhaps some catharsis is to be found in hanging out with a bunch of guys pretending it's still the good ole days.

If you're interested I would just get in touch with them and ask. Here's a link to some contact information
http://freemasonry.org/phglont/

Has anyone else here snuck around the Masonic temple when a party was there and discovered strange little rooms?

there are no female masons right? its a sausage club i understand... or is there a freemasonette division somewhere?

In Scotland, "How old is yer' granny?" is what is asked when two Masons meet. This is code for "What lodge do you belong to?"

i just thought of something... maybe there aren't any women allowed in because they are so powerful and all the women would get abducted.

Originally posted by alexd
there are no female masons right? its a sausage club i understand... or is there a freemasonette division somewhere?
like noisy said there is sort of a women's auxilary of the masons for the wifeys. not the most liberated place in the world i would imagine.

there is also a youth movement called 'the sons of job' or something.

junglisthead - i saw some of those symbols in my cat's litter box this morning.

does this mean i should ask her how old her granny is? i suppose i could also try to see if she applies pressure with her third claw the next time she scratches me.

please advise ASAP, this is extremely important.

THE GOVERNMENT!

Originally posted by Balzz
Has anyone else here snuck around the Masonic temple when a party was there and discovered strange little rooms?

ha ha...yes. actually, it may have been with you, jay, and jaqui!

did you ever see the "throne room" at the Masonic Temple back in the day: all those ornately carved high-backed chairs around the perimiter of the room and a big pit in the centre - maybe for sacrifices or mud wrestling!