1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How do I get rid of the mothball smell in a blanket?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, May 19, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

So I went to Value Village yesterday looking for a cheap, large sheet to use as a beach blanket - something light to pack on bike rides.

I took extra care to put it directly from its plastic bag into the washing machine and ran it hot with lots of bleach and unscented Tide, twice, to clean out anything that may have hitched along for a ride.

But it smelt like mothballs.

I ran it through a third cycle with a heavily scented Cheer that I bought like 2 years ago but never use because it smells like somebody poured an entire bottle of Drakkar Noir in the machine. Anyways, now the blanket smells of Cheer and mothballs.

I know the Cheer smell will eventually go away, but how do I get rid of the mothball smell?

2. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

i dunno.
    baking soda?
    or baking soda and vinegar.

put it in the garden with the plant that you dont want those animals to eat.

3. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Honestly I think you're better off getting a new blanket at Zellers or something. . . I think mothballs smell is almost impossible to get rid of without a lot of time and airing out.

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Jamaican hotbox the shit out of that blanket. and all will be irie

5. alexd

Maybe the mothball smell will keep away the Island fire ants....

But probably not.

I will try baking soda and like more bleach....

6. alexd

I know that cat pee will probably work...

7. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

sweet. I gotta a cat for you, when do you want to pick it up.

8. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

if you make your toilet available to homeless people at 25 cents a poop, you could probably make enough money in a month to buy a brand new blanket at Wal-Mart