• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How do I get into PR work?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Well, it seems like my interests have taken another turn.

Any info on this kind of work would be appreciated.

Education?

Connections?

Which, if either, is more important?

...or are they equally important?

I'm hoping there's a chance I can do PR work for my present company.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Bahahahhahhahahahahhahahhaahhahaahhahahhaaahahahhahhahahahahhahahhaahhahaahhahahhaaahahahhahhahahahahhahahhaahhahaahhahahhaaahahahhahhahahahahhahahhaahhahaahhahahhaa

Will in PR!

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Bahahahhahhahahahahhahahhaahhahaahhahahhaaahahahhahhahahahahhahahhaahhahaahhahahhaaahahahhahhahahahahhahahhaahhahaahhahahhaaahahahhahhahahahahhahahhaahhahaahhahahhaa

Will in PR!

LOL

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Durham college or Ontario University as it's called now has a good PR program supposedly. I know someone in it and she absolutly loves it.

You can always take a marketing program bc marketing and PR do go hand in hand :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AGrayson

TRIBE Member
Ryerson's got a PR program in Continuing Education.

Lotsa journalists/writers go that way too because the money is better.

--adam

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar

Will in PR!
Yeah yeah yeah, yuck it up.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Humber offers a post grad certificate.

My ex (and best friend) now works for Adidas as their Managing Director - PR for North America.

Free shoes!

noodle

TRIBE Member
Connections are key. I got a PR job though a professor at school when I had no experience in the field.

Education/Experience are a good way to get connections(Humber has an amazing post grad program that gives you actual industry experience).

If you don't have any connections and if going to school is out, I suggested getting an internship. Not-for-profit (ie- charities) would be a good place to try.

starr

TRIBE Member
Will you should also check if your company will pay for you to take courses.

If they do then you could get a marketing diploma at Ryerson or something to that extent and go from there.

Good luck :)

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
i have a degree in pr and if i could do it over again i'd take a diploma course in a focused discipline of pr (the title PR encompasses a lot!) with a co-op component.

more direct, hands on, focused education that way, imo

though the PR degree program at Mount Saint Vincent in Halifax is nothing to sneeze at! :)

If I could go back to the start of my career I might go the route of pr agency -- they don't have a fantastic starting salary, so this is an early-on-in-the-career choice for sure. The turn over can be very high as these agencies are shops that get tons of company's outsourced pr stuff - could be great stuff, lots of the time it's "get us outta this mess" type stuff too I'm sure.

still, a well rounded stint could give you valuable exprience with which to pursue a pr job within a company rather than a pr shop.

lots of pr work to be done in the non profit sector, but non profit experience will not necessary get you corporate work as many non profits do not think / act like corporations when it comes right down to it.

knowing people certainly helps in this biz. i hear story after story of people with no pr experience or education getting wicked pr jobs grrr. happens in every industry though so what can youdo?

you probably have an affinity for it if you want to do it, so take a look at what your company currently does, do a communications analysis i.e. what do they have, what do they need, what can you do for them .. that kind of stuff. then put a proposal together and see if they go for it.

if you need training, then get it! there's lots to be had.

if you want to look into a pr society, you coudl try CPRS - Canadian PR Society - they have seminars and such. I was always told not to pay to be a member until i was working in the industry. Now I am and I am still not a member.

Going to become a member this year of IABC - International Association of Business Communicators. I like them better, but there are many who feel the other way around.

Good luck.

:D

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr
Will you should also check if your company will pay for you to take courses.

If they do then you could get a marketing diploma at Ryerson or something to that extent and go from there.

Good luck :)
Yeah, I was told that they would but I haven't talked to anyone in HR yet.

There's no better price than free ;)

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Sunshyne Jones
yeah, we got a bad rep too, i know
but i do my part to fight the idea that all pr people lie
:D
I think of PR as being like the art of diplomacy, telling people to go to hell and having them enjoy the trip.

Don't even get me started on lawyers. I just wanna be a spin doctor, not keep child molesters and rapists out of jail.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by H2Whoa
Humber offers a post grad certificate.

My ex (and best friend) now works for Adidas as their Managing Director - PR for North America.

Free shoes!
My cousin works for Adidas. Great company and amazing perks. I may still apply for a job there some day.

starr

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
Yeah, I was told that they would but I haven't talked to anyone in HR yet.

There's no better price than free ;)
That's great, you are halfway there.

It's also a plus that you are considering doing PR with the company you are working at now. You probably have a good chance of realizing your goal, as most companies like to promote from within before looking for outside individuals.

My friend just had her marketing diploma paid for by Scotiabank, and now she's trying to get them to help her out with her MBA - if she gets in.

I used to work at Scotia as well and could get her to ask her PR department for school/advancement tips. We were on the same floor as PR, so it wouldn't be that hard to get some suggestions for you. If you know anyone in your PR department, you should definitely hit them up for some advice.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories