1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How Do I Get Booze Sponsorship for an Event?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Ms. Fit, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

Hi all,

My friend is having an art show in a couple months and I thought I'd help her organize it anyway I can so that she can focus on painting.

Instead of paying for all the booze I thought it might be cool to form some sort of partnership with an alcohol company.

How would I go about this? Just contact their PR/Promotions department?

Halp!

Thank you :D

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

so your friend is ok with selling out?

3. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

You get sponsorship for an event by hoping that one of the higher-ups at Molson, Labatt, Sleeman, Bacardi, Absolut, Diageo, InBev, Fosters, Miller or Jagermeister reads Tribe and is feeling generous.

4. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

One of my friends, threw a superbowl party and got mill street to drop off a few cases of beer. He just started talking to the rep through twitter or something, like that. Might be an idea.

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Are any liquor or beer companies sponsoring artsy-phartzy stuff any more? Do they even make Black Label any more?

I'd phone up Pabst, maybe they have a hipster budget now.

6. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  7. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Fucking awesome. This made me lol and scared all the lemmings in their cubicles.

True story - guy in front of me at the beer store, ordered 24 Pabst and the guy behind the counter said into the mic "24 hipster"

I nearly died laughing so hard. Guy ordering was not impressed.

8. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

heheee my friend's the dreamy artist, i'm the no-nonense, hustlin', quick-talking marketing girl. it's what i do. she doesn't know i'm going to pimp her event to booze companies (yet, when i have some leads, i'll let her know), i can't deal with her inevitable guilt/self-loathing. but she's not a trustfund kid and i don't see why she can't get a lil help from her friends. :D

this thread looks promising.

thanks y'all!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Err...

(not to harp or anything...)

10. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Booze and culture have gone hand-in-hand for decades.

Cigarettes, too.

As soon as weed is legal, you can bet that there'll be a Hemp Juice Arts Festival, as well.

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

pabst blue ribbon has been on the map ever since that adam sandler sketch on snl! (yes cajun boy)

12. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

harp on what? i've been to many, many, MANY arts events and the best ones are the ones with free booze for guests. i really dislike vernissages (how do you say it in engish? art openings?) that have a cash bar.

harp on me all you want, i don't mind selling out for free liquor supply at an event.

13. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I think he was making fun of you for saying that you're a "no-nonense, hustlin', quick-talking marketing girl" but yet you're asking everyone else how to get free beer.

14. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

Selling out is amazing, and anyone who decries it just doesn't have a talent that any company would consider worth sponsoring.

There, I said it.

15. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

getting you guys to waste your time giving her free advice on getting free beer is completely consistent with no-nonsense hustlin.

16. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

A few times a month I'll pick up the beer for a friends poker game. The order is always 3 24's of Pabst Blue Ribbon for some unfathomable reason. He must enjoy gut rot. I feel like a hipster alcoholic walking out with 3 24's stacked up. Last time there was some hipster chick out front of the beer store who says to me "Pabst! nice choice, great beer man". I'm thinking "shut your fucking mouth"

17. billy

billy TRIBE Member

any company considering providing you with free product is going to want to know what exposure they are going to get in return. be prepared and know the demographics of who will be attending. contacting them and asking what you can get for nothing won't help. sell it. give them a reason.

18. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

A no-nonense, hustlin', quick-talking marketing girl already knows this.

19. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

word. ^

yeah, i JUST realized what he meant AFTER i posted that reply:p

remember, i'm a web marketing girl, i'm just cutting my teeth in the whole PR/Sponsorship thing.

thanks tribers for all your help. you've been funny and helpful...exactly what i was counting on.:D

20. Ms. Fit

Ms. Fit TRIBE Member

this

21. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Go to some some of the smaller breweries/wine companies as you may have more of a chance with them. A friend has had some success at getting smaller companies to sponsor her sites and events.

Also what was said before about doing your research and presenting a sales type promo (I'm not in sales clearly and don't know what you would call it), would help.)

Good luck!

22. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Ms. Fit I used to get beer sponsors for the TRIBE warehouse parties I threw back in the day. Upper Canada, Rev, some yucky greenish energy cooler, etc. I just used to write them and explain how if they would supply x number of cases for our event I would do yada yada (hang signage at the event, promote the brand via party pics, etc.)...

Since they probably get like a hundred of these requests an hour (like every dart league, curling club, art show, modern dance event, knitting circle...) you ought to make yours sound like they are going to get something special for their booze.

The hard part is finding out who to speak to at the brand. It's best to aim very high.

After a while though, I just used to buy the booze at the LCBO or beer store and sell it at the event because it was a lot less work.

23. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Mel, Bj's go a long way

24. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I remember those.

25. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

forget the booze and offer those at the art show. you'll get a huge turnout.