• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How do I create a WiFi hotspot in my house?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I need to create a WiFi hotspot in my home so guests and visitors can get internet connectivity. BUT, I need this hotspot isolated from my existing home network.

I want guests to be able to connect to the internet using my home DSL connection but I don't want them anywhere near my personal Wifi network.

How do I do this?

I have already installed:

1 DSL modem
1 Linksys WRT-54GL WiFi Router

My existing network a mix of cabled and WiFi connectivity. I use Mac address filtering and a strong passwords to access the existing WiFi network with my personal notebook.

Do I need to add another router just to create a separate guest WiFi hotspot? Or can I just use my existing router and create some kind of tunnel for a guest to use?

Trying to wrap my head around this issue...

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
You do not need two routers. Any router that supports DD-WRT will be fine, it can do a captive portal (like you would see at Starbucks with login/password) and it will broadcast a separate SSID. Or you can just create a separate SSID for the guests.

Jay

edit: did not fully read your post. You have a DD-WRT supported router (AFAIK), so you should be good there. You can do everything you need with only a few clicks.

Let me know if you need further help.

Last edited:

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I tried to add more but went past the 5mins. If you want your guests on a different network, you will need to set them up on a a separate VLAN and have the routers DHCP server hand out addresses accordingly.

Ex: home network 192.168.1.0 /24 and guest network 192.168.2.0 /24

Also, Mac address filtering does nothing for security. A good password using WPA2 is all you need.

Jay

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I would look it up to confirm, if it does not, I have a wrt54gs that already has dd-wrt mega on it. You can have it for nothing.

Jay

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I would look it up to confirm, if it does not, I have a wrt54gs that already has dd-wrt mega on it. You can have it for nothing.

Jay
That would be excellent, as mine is an older version. Are you in the city? PM me your location and a time and I'll pop by, thanks.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Alex, your router supports most versions below mega (mega is too big), but you first need to go from Linksys stock to Mini / Micro, then upgrade to Standard.

Linksys WRT54GL - DD-WRT Wiki

Of course, you can just pick up mine. I will be in the city on Saturday if you are around.

I will PM you my #, just txt me on Saturday and we can make arrangements.

Jay

lobo

TRIBE Member
Any of the recommendations above should work along with just picking up a new Linksys/Cisco router. These days they come with a guest access as part of the default firmware and it *should* isolate them from your regular network. Plus getting a new router will get you Wireless N speeds if you have the gear to support it.

Lobo

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vise

TRIBE Member
Any of the recommendations above should work along with just picking up a new Linksys/Cisco router. These days they come with a guest access as part of the default firmware and it *should* isolate them from your regular network. Plus getting a new router will get you Wireless N speeds if you have the gear to support it.

Lobo
Yeah this. Any newer/decent N router should support a second 'guest' network. My current and prior Netgear routers have this function and it's a piece of cake to setup.