• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

how do i bleach something?

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
i never get anything white, for the express reason that i'm what they call a 'spilly talker'. but i now have something nice new and white that i need to bleach a stain out of. i don't have my own laundry: are you allowed to use bleach in a laundromat? like if you get bleach into a machine, won't it then get some in it and potentially bleach the poor unsuspecting next persons clothes? do laundromats have bleach for you? how much do you use? i can't do a whole load of whites because, as i mentioned, i never buy anything white. is it, like, REALLY bad for the environment? do you put it in teh machine before you begin, with the soap? or can you not bleach in a machine at all, do you have to use a bucket or tub or something? do you HAVE to buy bleach in those big jugs, if you only need a little bit this once?

help!
 

nihilist

TRIBE Member
you should get one of those stain remover sticks. once you get a stain on there, you rub the stick on the stain and then throw it into the wash.

but no, the bleach won't 'accidentally bleach' the next person's laundry load, b/c you will have a rinse cycle that handles removing excess bleach. are you using javex or just tide w/ bleach?
 

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
nihilist said:
you should get one of those stain remover sticks. once you get a stain on there, you rub the stick on the stain and then throw it into the wash.

but no, the bleach won't 'accidentally bleach' the next person's laundry load, b/c you will have a rinse cycle that handles removing excess bleach. are you using javex or just tide w/ bleach?
i don't know, i've never bleached something! do you suggest javex or tide with bleach?

i do have a stain remover stick, kinda like a big soap bar from chinatown, is that what you mean? it usually works, but lately it's been failing me (do they lose their potency with age? i've had it for quite some time.) so i didn't think it would work for such a heavy duty stain as blood on white.

yes, it is blood.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

nihilist

TRIBE Member
Lysistrata said:
i don't know, i've never bleached something! do you suggest javex or tide with bleach?

i do have a stain remover stick, kinda like a big soap bar from chinatown, is that what you mean? it usually works, but lately it's been failing me (do they lose their potency with age? i've had it for quite some time.) so i didn't think it would work for such a heavy duty stain as blood on white.

yes, it is blood.
ok, safe way to get rid of the stain as much as possible. if it's cotton or something close to it, get a bucket or fill the tub with warm/almost hot water - mix some detergent and vinegar into it. soak your garment in the bucket/tub and get a bar of soap (can be dove) and rub the soap vigorously into the stained area. then let the garment soak over a few hours. then it should be mostly faded. then just throw it into the wash with the regular laundry cycle (ie. you don't have to use bleach at this point, if you don't have enough lighter clothing to fill the load).
 

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
vinegar, eh? that might work, i know mom used to clean with water and vinegar. course she was too cheap to buy cleanser. she also taught me that if you apply stain remover and wash it and it doesn't come out does that means it's there for life and will NEVER come out! is that true? that's why i'm afraid to try stain remover-laundry and was thinking about going the bleach route.

this means i'll have to go out to buy vinegar. the only vinegar i have around is balsamic. i don't think that will help! :)
 

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Fill the sink/tub/bucket with warm water and a scoop of OxyClean. Soak the garment in there for a couple hours, or overnight if it's easier. Then take it out and throw it in the normal wash. Normal meaning, you should only wash whites with whites (maybe offer to do some of Thom's laundry? ;) ). For white clothes: Use warm to hot water, and about a teaspoon to tablespoon of bleach, depending on size of load, but no more than that (too much bleach repeatedly will damage the fibres). You should always throw in a dallop of bleach just to keep your whites bright.

Some machines have the little bleach dispenser thing, you just pour a bit of bleach in there as the machine is filling with water (or before you close the lid). If the machine doesn't have those little spout things, just wait until the machine is full of water, and put the bleach into the water (being careful not to pour directly onto any garments).
 

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
Lysistrata said:
vinegar, eh? that might work, i know mom used to clean with water and vinegar. course she was too cheap to buy cleanser. she also taught me that if you apply stain remover and wash it and it doesn't come out does that means it's there for life and will NEVER come out! is that true? that's why i'm afraid to try stain remover-laundry and was thinking about going the bleach route.
the one cardinal rule of stains [from a fellow spilly-talker] is do NOT put it in the dryer until you KNOW the stain is gone.
once put thru the dryer - it's there forever, almost certainly.

i also NEVER use hot water on stains. i've been told that it just sets them in. soak in cold water with detergent or stain remover (i like the 'shout' stuff with the attached brushlike head. but not necessarily for any good reason. it's just really cute and fun to use.) then wash, some say hot water, some say cold. i always use cold regardless, so cold it is.

dry on a line, and if the stain is gone - you're good to go. if it's not - repeat the above. if it's white, throw it in a white load with a bit of bleach (about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of javex) and that might do the trick. oh - always put the bleach in when there is already lots of water. best is to put it in the water *before* you add clothes to it. straight bleach will even make stripes on white stuff.

good luck.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

nihilist

TRIBE Member
yeah if it's blood on cotton (i know this from experience!), it's not that hard to get out with the method i explained above. if it's something else (like some red wine stain on silk) i have no clue how to get that shit out. then again, i don't wear silk.

vinegar is the safest and best cleaner out there - of course, companies that thrive on selling their 'specialized' cleaners don't want you to go down that route :p

bleach (as in javex) is an iffy thing for me b/c it stinks really badly (almost toxic, thanks ammonia!) and sometimes it does an 'accidental' splashback onto your clothing (that you are wearing). then you don't notice it until a little while later, a slight pinkish white dot on your black shirt :\
 

nihilist

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
the one cardinal rule of stains [from a fellow spilly-talker] is do NOT put it in the dryer until you KNOW the stain is gone.
once put thru the dryer - it's there forever, almost certainly.

i also NEVER use hot water on stains. i've been told that it just sets them in. soak in cold water with detergent or stain remover (i like the 'shout' stuff with the attached brushlike head. but not necessarily for any good reason. it's just really cute and fun to use.) then wash, some say hot water, some say cold. i always use cold regardless, so cold it is.

dry on a line, and if the stain is gone - you're good to go. if it's not - repeat the above. if it's white, throw it in a white load with a bit of bleach (about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of javex) and that might do the trick. oh - always put the bleach in when there is already lots of water. best is to put it in the water *before* you add clothes to it. straight bleach will even make stripes on white stuff.

good luck.
ah yes - makes sense.. hot water encourages the stain to settle deepter into the fabric, cold would keep it at a minimal level. hmm, maybe i used cold/lukewarm then? it's been a while.. but yeah.. cold/lukewarm, vinegar, reg. detergent and vigorous soap sounds good.
 

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
you guys are awesome! the fact that it's the dryer that sets hte staina nd not the washer is the most valuable life lesson i've learned in a while!

this is what i think i will do: get some white vinegar nad try soaking it with that + my stain stick thing in tepid water. i'll air dry and if it's still there (of course it's red on white, i'll probably be able to tell when it's still wet!) i'll go out and get some environment damaging stain remover (can you get oxyclean at no frills?) and if that doesn't work i'll go to the laundromat and try some bleach in my load. my load of one fluffy big white bathrobe. i swear to god, there's not a single other item of all white lcoathing in the apartment, of either thom's or mon.e
 

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
LYS....

OXYCLEAN !!!!!!

if it's a set stain, soak in water (according to directions on garment). If you just want your whites brighter, colors more colorful - a scoop of oxyclean in every load. It's magic powder.

If you must use bleach, yes it is okay to use in a laundramat. Use only according to direction, bleach eats your clothes.
 

rhyss

TRIBE Member
Lysistrata said:
you guys are awesome! the fact that it's the dryer that sets hte staina nd not the washer is the most valuable life lesson i've learned in a while!

this is what i think i will do: get some white vinegar nad try soaking it with that + my stain stick thing in tepid water. i'll air dry and if it's still there (of course it's red on white, i'll probably be able to tell when it's still wet!) i'll go out and get some environment damaging stain remover (can you get oxyclean at no frills?) and if that doesn't work i'll go to the laundromat and try some bleach in my load. my load of one fluffy big white bathrobe. i swear to god, there's not a single other item of all white lcoathing in the apartment, of either thom's or mon.e
if it still isn't totally out after you wash it (and it is still wet) put some lemon juice on the stained area and leave out in the sun (either hanging up outside or near a sunny window. Then wash it again as above.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
the one cardinal rule of stains [from a fellow spilly-talker] is do NOT put it in the dryer until you KNOW the stain is gone.
once put thru the dryer - it's there forever, almost certainly.

i also NEVER use hot water on stains. i've been told that it just sets them in. soak in cold water with detergent or stain remover (i like the 'shout' stuff with the attached brushlike head. but not necessarily for any good reason. it's just really cute and fun to use.) then wash, some say hot water, some say cold. i always use cold regardless, so cold it is.

dry on a line, and if the stain is gone - you're good to go. if it's not - repeat the above. if it's white, throw it in a white load with a bit of bleach (about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of javex) and that might do the trick. oh - always put the bleach in when there is already lots of water. best is to put it in the water *before* you add clothes to it. straight bleach will even make stripes on white stuff.

good luck.
Agree with grumble girl (Had a short lived life as a housewife :D )
Soaking right away is always best..and trying the vinegar first is also a good idea. Bleach should be the last resort as it does damage to the fibers. Always..Always.. Fill the washing machine and add the bleach before the clothes. Otherwise the bleach will burn the item (or whatever it lands on). You may not see it right away, but after a few more washes holes will start to appear.. Good luck! Blood is a bitch to get out.. You may only get it to a dull yellow..

In Europe they have these amazing sticks that remove the toughest stuff. Even blood disappears.. Can't find it here. Those Tide sticks aren't the same..
 
Last edited:

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
ok, i got a thing o vinegar: how much do I use though? a tablespoon, a cup? i guess it's not as crucial to not overdo it with vinegar as it isn't all toxic as bleach, but now that i'm already to try it i don't know how much to put in!

also, where can i buy oxyclean? just give me an idea: home hardware? dominion? shoppers? what kind of store could i get it at?

(ps, i love tribe.)
 
Top