• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How did you know what you wanted to do...

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
I was talking with an old co-worker last night - who quit while I was on mat. leave. He gave me an incredible amount of support and wisdom. I've now decided, that once I get back to work I'm going to get my resume out there. See how many and what kind of bites I get. My feelings of fear with work is that I've got it pretty good where I am - great salary, benefits, pension... and the fact that my company is a well known pharma company - and I may not find that somewhere else.

doesn't hurt to see what's out there. and in the meantime I can continue to work on taking a few courses.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
This is one of the reasons why I wonder if I should just keep the job I have, and not pursue a 'career' per se... I'm currently employed at a job that is task-busy, but not stressful or particularly challenging. That said - I leave every day at 5pm on the dot (with few exceptions), and I never have to worry about work when I'm not here. My benefits are excellent, and while the pay is the shits, it's basically enough to have a decent existence - I can *almost* afford the life I want. ;)

ok so you basically describe the reason i like my job.

when i was a Kid i said i would be a Lawyer because they make lots of money... currently i'm a legal assistant and work for lawyers... I enjoy my job, it does require significant knowlegde of things like rules of the court for prepartation/ service/ filing documents...most of what i do is all the paper work for my counsels.

I have a Tourism/ Hospitality Diploma from Seneca, graduated in the 90's recession, work was very seasonal, low pay, so i started working in Printing, got into the government that way and worked my way up learning on the job in Attorney General.

Curently, as i am in an assistant role, i love that i come in at 9 leave at 5 and do not think about work after that. This is really great for me, as i am in my final year of my HBA degree in Employment Relations at U of T that i have done entirely part time at night.

In 2002 when i was still in printing i just realized i wanted more from my job, and realzied to be anything management, or make any real money here, you need a university degree, so i went back, I chose HR as it seemed really practical and i'd be able to us it when i graduate.. i didn't plan on doing it part time, but i just couldnt' survive without a full time paycheck..

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Don't focus on job titles or careers, rather look at what you would like to be doing. (For example, don't say "I want to be a doctor", but rather "I want to help people")
This is an excellent thread with great advice, I came across it as I was hunting for a career woes thread to post and whine in.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
if you would have asked me 2 years ago what I *wanted* to do, I would not have said "health information"

yet here I am. and I love it.
Just waiting for us to get really busy, which we will. Recruiting right now. Have some MAJOR MAJOR investors.
this place is about to explode in the next year or 2.
I'm the 1st employee :) :)
it's been awesome being able to contribute and have my ideas heard...at first, the whole "start-up" company thing really sucked...you feel every little bump...but to see how things progress and to be a part of it, has actually been exciting the last couple months....
now I'm just waiting and praying, I don't see another contract on August 31. I want a permanent position. Which I have been promised, just needed these contracts/investors in place.
My boss today told me I will be her "right hand" when we start growing.

very excited. and VERY unexpected turn of a career path.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
Its really annoying when you finally figure out what you want to do, so you go to school for it. then noone will hire you cause you dont have experience. then you spend like 5-6 yrs doing other stuff, so now you've basically forgotten most of the stuff from school cause you didnt get to use it. and now youre back to square one again.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I've always been an admin assistant. I graduated school with a college diploma in Marketing. I really want to get a University degree. I've been wrestling with either a) going back to school in something completely different i.e health profession as i'm very interested in Fitness / Sport doctor fields, b) finish my PR cert from Ryerson or get my PMP from Ryerson.. or c) continue with the marketing education and get my degree in Marketing at Ryerson.

I'm probably going to go for C as it seems more realistic and manageable. My college had a joint program with Ryerson University for students to continue their education and only do 3 years instead of 4 years. I graduated in 2004 and I'm wondering if they will still honor it.

I'm going to send them an e-mail later to see..

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Its really annoying when you finally figure out what you want to do, so you go to school for it. then noone will hire you cause you dont have experience. then you spend like 5-6 yrs doing other stuff, so now you've basically forgotten most of the stuff from school cause you didnt get to use it. and now youre back to square one again.
I have a few classmates from school that due to their age (I think) were unable to get medical office jobs after school...3 aren't working, one moved to Sarnia and is bartending. :(

I feel lucky I got my foot in the door here, despite all the ups n downs that drive me crazy..I've come to terms with the fact it's a start-up company.
when I see my classmates struggling, I thank god I'm even working :(

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I have a few classmates from school that due to their age (I think) were unable to get medical office jobs after school...3 aren't working, one moved to Sarnia and is bartending. :(

I feel lucky I got my foot in the door here, despite all the ups n downs that drive me crazy..I've come to terms with the fact it's a start-up company.
when I see my classmates struggling, I thank god I'm even working :(
There are so many job openings for Medical receptionists or Admin Assistance at hospitals! What do you mean 'due to their age' ? They want older looking people? Isn't that discrimination?

IgStar

TRIBE Member
no, they ARE older ladies. Like, late 50's/early 60's and yeah, it's discrimination..of course. but it happens.

and getting into a hospital, is NOT as easy as it sounds. Trust me. Been there. So have numerous people I know. Plus, they usually want part-time but the hours are so whack, it's near impossible to find another job to supplement the income. AND it depends...maybe in T.O hospitals there are...we don't live in TO. We have 2 hospitals here and it's almost impossible to get in unless you know someone.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
yeh those people should have moved to toronto, all I see are jobs for hospital admin that you need that medical stuff for. like seriously, every 3rd posting is for that.

so yeh, if you wanted to move to toronto you could probably get an awesome job igs.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
nah, I'm good here. too much going on...I'm in a good position here. Was already told I will be my bosses right hand...I think I'd be a fool to walk away from this company.
PLUS - no interest in moving to Toronto. Not right now anyways. lol

pretty sure the ladies I went to school won't either...their families are all here.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
no, they ARE older ladies. Like, late 50's/early 60's and yeah, it's discrimination..of course. but it happens.

and getting into a hospital, is NOT as easy as it sounds. Trust me. Been there. So have numerous people I know. Plus, they usually want part-time but the hours are so whack, it's near impossible to find another job to supplement the income. AND it depends...maybe in T.O hospitals there are...we don't live in TO. We have 2 hospitals here and it's almost impossible to get in unless you know someone.
ohhh

My roommate works at a hospital and yeah the hours are whack.. it's not just the shifts, it' s the fact that her position is only for 3 days and then she has to pick up extra shifts.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
yeah, exactly. I *thought* that's what I wanted to do when I graduated, then I started asking around and researching and realized...no. not so much.

so I ended up in health information technology instead.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
I was told that this thread had been bumped up.... interesting for a few reasons.

Someone asked me yesterday what I did and I found myself embarrassed to say "I'm an admin assistant". Reflecting on that last night I came to this conclusion:

I like helping people, I want to help people.... in a meaningful way. I've found myself back at work in a role I enjoy but the industry is not at all where I'd like to be. I knew when I accepted this job that this was the case, but you take what you can get after being out of work for 3 years and having no experience in non-profit. The bottom line is, I've finally figured out what I want to do... the process in getting there is the next puzzle.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
If you want to work in the non-profit sector the best thing you can do immediately is start volunteering at one in any capacity. It can just be 2 hours a week, the point is networking and proving that you do want to help people. Most jobs are not advertised and I find this is especially true in the non-profit world. Other thing is informational interviews with people you want to be in 3-5 years.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
does anyone have a good source of information for healthcare job prospects in Ontario?

i'm thinking about going back to school for something in healthcare like: nursing, occupational therapy, maybe even speech pathology, but i'd like to know what the job market for these types of jobs will look like in 3-5 years.

thanks.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
short answer re: speech path

really difficult to get into in Ontario, and Canada. Only one university offering a degree program in speech path in Ontario, insane number of applicants, need really high marks to get in. I know someone who applied for a few years, finally decided to move to Australia to study.

Don't know much about speech path job prospects tho.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
You can search jobs here, look at the "outlook": Working in Canada - Home. I wouldn't assume speech language is impossible to get into, I know people who have gotten in to the program at western. Nursing can be good but you should consider which specialization you would want to get in to, prospects are good in some areas but not others.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
does anyone have a good source of information for healthcare job prospects in Ontario?

i'm thinking about going back to school for something in healthcare like: nursing, occupational therapy, maybe even speech pathology, but i'd like to know what the job market for these types of jobs will look like in 3-5 years.

thanks.
Dietician is a good one too afaik, my friend is an RD in a hospital, specializing in diabetes and she has a pretty sweet gig including the ability to go to part-time.

To me healthcare is scary. It is the new "teacher" path. but I guess that is a cycle that keeps turining round. If you want to go into health care be sure it is something you really want, it's not easy, and if it is..... you're doing it wrong. There is a certain amount of emotinal investment you have to make to care about the people you deal with/treat and the other side is the people you want to kill because they are ass hats.

I still don't know "what I want to do". I've been through a few career paths and yet to be fulfilled, or an injury/illness get in the way. I've found a few times over in branches I would like to follow that although being at the top of the list I always loose to someone who has more industry experience. Pain in the MFA when you have an amazing skill set but only choice in that field is to backtrack.

As of now I’m looking at a total change from where I’ve been to travel agent. I figure it serves me better than any company will. I’ll get to be social, help people to find what they would want and enjoy, and get some travel perks of my own!!

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
You can search jobs here, look at the "outlook": Working in Canada - Home. I wouldn't assume speech language is impossible to get into, I know people who have gotten in to the program at western. Nursing can be good but you should consider which specialization you would want to get in to, prospects are good in some areas but not others.
thank you - that's exactly the kind of link i was looking for.
i keep coming back to labour & delivery nurse - i think about other things and then come back to it again and again. i had great birthing experiences and i'd love to be able to support women through that amazing journey as well. i love the idea of midwifery but it's too complicated being on call with 2 small children. i figure even if i have to do shift work at least it's scheduled in advance and less complicated than being on call when it comes to childcare. Then again, my kids will likely be fairly OLD by the time it comes down to it bc first i need to upgrade some classes, then apply, then *hopefully* get accepted, then complete a long and intensive program. frankly the whole thing scares the shit out of me!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
As of now I’m looking at a total change from where I’ve been to travel agent. I figure it serves me better than any company will. I’ll get to be social, help people to find what they would want and enjoy, and get some travel perks of my own!!
Not to scare you but I have a college degree "tourism and Hospitality" and I was never able to turn it into a career, got a few good jobs in hotels but then come September the season changes to low season and I could never be guaranteed hours. I know you said travel agent, but believe me I applied for every travel agent, type job I could find and never got an interview.

I work in a completely different field now (legal assistant) and went back to school to earn my HR degree, and it is incredibly competitive. I have only had one HR contract but it was terminated when I had to go on sick leave, so I am once again trying to break into the field.

I thought a degree would open up many doors, but it is very very tough getting a decent entry level job in your field of study if you don't have any experience. :(