• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How did you know what you wanted to do...

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i'm pretty sure i could write, too.

though i don't have the slightest clue as to how to get into it.

:|

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
kmac said:
I will go as far to say that the majority of journalists feel the same way. It's a profession that attracts shy people because it actually gives you a reason to talk to people.

I would get panic attacks when I first started out but then you realize people are nervous about being interviewed and they are terrified of coming across as stupid.

It all comes together at some point if you enjoy it.
hmmmm...well that's given me something to think about...i used to LOVE writing in high school. haven't really done much since though.

JESuX said:
reading your post makes me realize that i was probably right about not making the fashion leap! i'm not crazy about sewing and pattern making either. reading what you've written is exactly what i suspected i would feel if i'd gone that route.

i'm also interested in the make up artist field too - again, i think you might face the same issues. killahkali just finished the 1 year program (or maybe it's two? not sure!) at george brown, and i keep meaning to talk to her about the kind of work she's getting and the pay rate. if i talk to her i'll get the goods and PM you :)
yeah, not to mention the fashion industry is ANNOYING too!!!

my friend is a makeup artist. she went to the yorkville school of makeup, i think. she worked at MAC for 3 years in the UK at a pro store, and is now back here, trying to get in with an agency. she's now got a 3 month trial run with one of them, but from what she's told me, it's sooooo hard to get in to the industry, and also to make a living from it. i think this is a huge step forward for her though, so we'll see what happens. but yeah, totally let me know if you get any insider info! ;)

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
penelope said:
One of the people in my life I admire a lot is one of those "janitors". He works as a service assistant at work and has to deal with the attitude Leogirl refers to all the time. Some physicians and nurses are absolutely horrible to our support staff, but I digress. He has a university education, had an "academic" job but gave it up to do this. He wants to focus on his family so he has a job with flexible shifts, great pay for the work, good benefits and zero stress. He leaves on time, gets to all his kid's soccer game, school events, etc. I love hanging out with him. He really doesn't care if people judge him by his job, he says those people who would look down on him because he's a janitor aren't people worth knowing and to people he would like to be friends with it won't matter. SO refreshing and so true!!
yup.

and yes, i'm aware of the irony of how many grammatical and punctuation errors i make, even though i work in the book-making field. fundamentally, i'm still a biz kid, i suppose:p

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
j bunny 2000 said:
I went to sheridan college. I just graduated in May. I am designing kitchens and bathrooms right now, which I am trying to get out of. I do live in Toronto but I have a car. My roomate and myself actually made a bunch of ottomans and cubes for our place and it was really fun but we didn't really know what we were doing. How long is course and is it expensive?
I wrote you a really detailed reply and was 90% done and my stupid computer shut down for no reason (as well as 3 other co-workers...it was like the power went out :confused: :mad:)

I gotta do some work but I will get back to you, if not later today, tomorrow.

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
I have to say this is an awesome thread!!

I've totally recently been thinking about going back to school part time.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
penelope said:
He really doesn't care if people judge him by his job, he says those people who would look down on him because he's a janitor aren't people worth knowing and to people he would like to be friends with it won't matter. SO refreshing and so true!!

most definitely. MAD PROPS to this guy.
I felt the same way in Zurich (I do here a bit as well, but more there) about my lack of education. I just happened to get into a great company after HS and never bothered with college/uni, mainly b/c well, I hated school and had a great job.
But now, I kinda wishing I did have SOME secondary ed. behind me, but that being said...I hate these people that think b/c they have a degree or whatever that makes them smarter/better than you.

"I'M NOT WORTHY"
*bows down*

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
penelope said:
One of the people in my life I admire a lot is one of those "janitors". He works as a service assistant at work and has to deal with the attitude Leogirl refers to all the time. Some physicians and nurses are absolutely horrible to our support staff, but I digress. He has a university education, had an "academic" job but gave it up to do this. He wants to focus on his family so he has a job with flexible shifts, great pay for the work, good benefits and zero stress. He leaves on time, gets to all his kid's soccer game, school events, etc. I love hanging out with him. He really doesn't care if people judge him by his job, he says those people who would look down on him because he's a janitor aren't people worth knowing and to people he would like to be friends with it won't matter. SO refreshing and so true!!
This is one of the reasons why I wonder if I should just keep the job I have, and not pursue a 'career' per se... I'm currently employed at a job that is task-busy, but not stressful or particularly challenging. That said - I leave every day at 5pm on the dot (with few exceptions), and I never have to worry about work when I'm not here. My benefits are excellent, and while the pay is the shits, it's basically enough to have a decent existence - I can *almost* afford the life I want. ;)

With my condition (muscular dystrophy), I have to be careful about my stress level, and I'm sure that another job at a higher level/pay would increase my stress level. I'd certainly be busier, I think.

So - how much is no stress worth??

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
Cori, Jess, I recommend taking aptitude tests.

When I was unemployed about 5 years ago I took a two week government run course that really helped me. Our class of 25 people took tons of these types of tests to evaluate our skills, interests and personality types. That course, in part, steered me to the path I am on now.

I never would have chosen sales (my childhood dream was to be a singer, waitress or dancer). Yet sales suits me so well and I now have a successful career that is interesting & challenging. If this doesn't work out I may try out for Coyote Ugly.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
Leogirl I totally hear what you are saying.
Im turning 30 at the end of August and am heading back to school in January. Its never too late! That being said sometimes its hard to pin point exactly what you want to be doing, and even then the thought of school for some people is a total turn off. I for one am scared and excited all at the same time to explore new options.

When I left school (Humber College for Marketing and ECE) I had just had enough. I shouldnt have gone in the first place. My head just wasnt in it and it was a waste of time imo. I left and worked at Chapters for a bit and then ended up getting a reception job at an advertising agency. That was 2001. Since then I have worked at numerous agencies (reception, office manager, executive assistant) and have in turn come to loathe the industry and working in an office. I flip flopped between choosing a career in fashion (buyer, stylist, etc.) and wanting to work with animals or outdoors in some way. I for one am trying not to think about the money aspect as much as the happiness aspect.
I love clothing and helping my girls get ready to go out or shop but the industry again is not for me. Through some research I have decided to follow my dream of working in the outdoors. Im even looking forward to being in a classroom. That is a first since ive always been quite rebellious. I realize that there will be times Im in an office but if I even spend 20% of my time exploring nature and our environment I will be happy. And for me money cant buy that.

I cant wait to see what the future holds for me!

:)

My advice would be to explore what you love and go from there.

Last edited:

sk8

TRIBE Member
I always knew I wanted to work with animals.. and everyone told me I should be a vet... so I thought I should be a vet. Then I worked for a vet and hated it so I was confused. Then my mom's cousin from england came to visit and brought her boyfriend with her who happened to be a zoologist. He took me (bless him - dragging around a sullen rebellious teenager) to behind the scenes at Toronto Zoo and to make baboon observations at African Lion Safari. I was in shock - it was like a giant door opened up and i realized someone would pay me to just watch animals and write down what they are doing!! I didn't have to stab cats with needles for 8 hrs a day. So I went into zoology. It all got muddled around at school taking various courses and figuring it all out and I ended up with a Biology/Ecology degree.

I never did a masters though... just did low paying field contracts to get experience. I'm at the point now where I have the "equivalent experience" of a masters though... but part of me wants to do one for the pure research experience.

I am potentially teaching a college course this fall if it all works out. That's kinda funny to me because it's actually a course I considered taking last year!!!

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
My friend took zoology at uoft and is working for environment canada now in bc. She works for the water division and loves it!

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
-I had no ambition while I was in high school
-I made my university selections the night before they were due
-My ex and his family helped me decide to apply to teacher's college and I got into a concurrent B.Sc./B.Ed program. I'd never considered teaching but it seemed reasonable because I have lots of experience with kids and it was a safe bet employment wise.
-After a few years of teaching experiences I realized that teaching was not for me, or at least wouldn't be a longterm thing for me.
-I was really enjoying my psych courses and I started to think about grad school
-My thesis advisor mentored me and made me feel like it was the right choice -I also had an awesome english professor who was really supportive and insisted that I continue my education
-Now I'm in grad school for psychology and really liking it. I'm using the skills I developed teaching children when I'm teaching adults or giving presentations.

I'm not sure that my experiences will really help anyone here so I'll add this:

I'm the first person in my family to go beyond a high school education and I was really insecure about my capabilities at first, even this year I've felt like an impostor at times. It's really important not to listen to the voice in your head telling you you're not capable of doing certain things or worrying that you're too old or not smart enough. Fear makes you stupid.

Sometimes I feel really spoiled and selfish, not just because of the type of work I do but just because I have a choice. We are all so lucky to be able to think about what we'd like to do to make a living, it's truly a luxury even if it's stressful and scary at times.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
penelope said:
One of the people in my life I admire a lot is one of those "janitors".
You say this as if I said they weren't worth admiring, which is completely off base. Not many people grow up dreaming to be janitors or garbage men or people who clean up TTC jumpers. That's all I said.

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
Ok-j bunny, here goes again...

The certificate program consists of 6 courses. The way it was structured for my class was a full day 9:30-4, every Friday, and each course was 5wks long. I was supposed to start it the semester before which was cancelled due to lack of enrollment and that session was Mon-Fri, so you went every day for a week. I think the scheduling depends a bit on the instructor's availability. The class size ranges from a min of 8 people to 12max.

The 1st 5 courses you do a set project which you make almost from scratch starting with the bare bones wooden frames. You learn how to install springs, foam & other materials that make up the insides of furniture, not just applying the fabric & sewing. The last course you bring in a piece of your own to reupholster.

The fees for each course is around $160. You sign up on a per class basis, so if you go to one & decide you don't like it, it's not like you've shelled out for the entire program & lose money. Where it does get expensive is the materials. The tool kit was around $350-400 although you can buy a less expensive one with the bare minimum for less if you're not sure how into it you'll be. That includes an air staple gun which is worth the extra $ if you ask me. I tried my first project using an electric one because I'd had it given to me and was trying to save some cash. I was getting really frustrated with it one day & the teacher let me use his air gun & I bought one the next week. I use more energy using my desk stapler than my air gun!

Fees for the projects vary depending on what it is. The cheapest was an ottoman that was about $50 for materials. The most expensive was the wing chair which was about $300. Your fabric is on top of that and of course the price can vary hugely as I'm sure you know. Luckily my parents wanted a wing chair so they bought fabric that matched their stuff & covered the materials fee, cuz I had no place to put that thing!

Hope this helps! More info can be found here:http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Discover/CE/carts/upholstery.html

dr. claw

For whatever reason, I did my undergrad in architecture (there were scads of fields I was interested in- arch was one of many). Things worked out- I'm now working in my field at a great firm but I have to wonder what "would have been" had I pursued film or writing.

I'm taking film courses at the moment for fun to see what I missed out on- if in time I find that I'm really passionate about it I might start making overtures to cultivate a career in that area. For now though it's nice to be doing something creative and inspiring during my "off" time.

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
my dream is to own my own landscape design/construction company and design/create jewellery in the winter.

i've decided to sign up for some horticulture courses this winter, and i have some design experience from previous schooling. when i was in college i worked for a landscape contractor, and gained a ton of knowledge in plant material and landscape construction. i know i can do this, it's just a bit of a hard road on getting there. my favourite time is in the garden growing things so i think i'll be happy.
i have to say laura, we share EXACT thoughts and dreams - i say go for it! :)
i was lucky enough to meet an incredible woman who has kindly taken me under her wing - i'm working full time for her small horticultural design & consulting company (apprenticeship) while going to school during my off season (winter) to gain my degree in horticulture. i highly recommend this route, i'm gaining so much knowledge through practical work while still making decent money (and she covers the cost of my education!) truly a blessing.
the best part - i'm actually happy every day waking up and going to work, i love my job.
feel free to PM me if you have questions or need any adive.

ps- i always wanted to be an astronaut and still beleive that one day i'll travel into outerspace :)

penelope

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
You say this as if I said they weren't worth admiring, which is completely off base. Not many people grow up dreaming to be janitors or garbage men or people who clean up TTC jumpers. That's all I said.
Sorry, I didn't mean that at all.

Muffin

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
There are a few of us on here like this! I say we band together and start some hybrid publishing/marketing/communications/consulting something or other!
I'm down.

I propose that our company have a 4 day work week, a 10:30 start time, and a ruggedly handsome office masseuse. Also, we should settle all disputes via dance-off. :cool:

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
This thread reminds me that I should be piecing together my 10 year plan ... it's in my blood to be an entrepreneur, now I just need to figure out what I want to sell and how to market it/myself.

Now that I finally take my work seriously I need a good 5+ years to orchestrate world domination.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Muffin said:
I'm down.

I propose that our company have a 4 day work week, a 10:30 start time, and a ruggedly handsome office masseuse. Also, we should settle all disputes via dance-off. :cool:
since I'm still not quite sure which direction I should go can just come and hang out at your office. I can be pretty bossy when the need arises - I'm sure there is something I could do ;)

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
So - how much is no stress worth??
this sums up my current dilemma. i'm done school and absolutely love the work i do - but it takes so much of my time, mind and energy. i want to step away from it all and come back recharged ... i feel i deserve a break and have some great things ahead of me. however, i feel like no one understands me when i tell them this! or they get it in an abstract way, but when i say i want to take a service job or take a pay cut, people look at me like i have three heads. not everyone mind you, but quite a few in my work circles, mentors, supervisors and people whose opinion i value - and whose opinion of me has a bearing on future opportunities.

i know exactly what i want to do now (find a pt job, resume volunteering, a dance class, submit grant applications for 2008 -> and then travel) but i'm afraid i won't have the courage to do what's right for me instead of caving in to professional/social pressure and taking on yet another project. i would kill for a job i can leave at work.

so i don't know what my answer is other than a no-stress job is worth a lot. but at the same time, feeling undervalued and underemployed adds on stress of an entirely different kind.

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
There are a few of us on here like this! I say we band together and start some hybrid publishing/marketing/communications/consulting something or other!

Reading this thread made me realise that this interview I've scheduled is not where I want to be headed.
lol! Too true!

That's good that you're considering directions- I was so full of debt the first time I basically took whatever job I could get, which is how I wound up in the souless world of retail marketing..but now I'm out, and influencing my co-worker friends to do the same, it seems-!:D:cool:

I highly reccomend talking to as many people as you can that are in careers you may be interested in, and volunteering/taking "intro" classes.

And yes- avoid titles, think of talents you have that you can appy to a field.

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
leogirl - you and i are in almost *EXACTLY* the same boat.

i always wanted to be an actress when i was little. actually, first a chef/pastry chef, then a gymnast, then an actress.

i think i stuck with the actress wish until about 19, when the real world hit me and i realized there was no way in fuck that i'd make it in that industry, with everything from physical appearance to financial instability holding me back.

my career path has come a long way, just like leoG's. i worked my way up from a retail path into a shitty telemarketing job - and from there, within 3 years, i've become an executive assistant.

i recently enrolled in courses at humber for corporate communications - but to be honest, being in the corporate office environment stifled from all creative outlets for the rest of my life is of absolutely NO interest to me. i'm doing this because it's what's best for me right now, and i'm relatively 'trapped'.

ideally, now, i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be any of the following:

- a kindergarten teacher
- an interior designer
- a stylist
- hairdresser
- anything to do with fashion
- pulmonary/respiratory specialist

unfortunately for me, i come from a long line of university educated, PhD, and Masters-weilding relatives. if i were to accomplish any of the above, it's always been rammed into my head that they're not careers that utilize my abilities/intelligence to the fullest, and that i'd be somewhat of a disappointment. :|

i also need to know that i'm going to be financially secure - the thought of not going to work and going back to school full time for something like 6 years to accomplish any of those things at age 27 is pretty fucking unreal. especially when i have no idea if i'm guaranteed to make any money in any of those lines of work. and even more scary when i make a decent salary now and i'm always broke as it is!

so yeah, i understand your frustration! if anyone has an easy answer, by all means, share it!

:)
6 yrs to do any of the above?? pulmonary/respiratory specialist & teaching aside, those others could take you about 1-2 yrs for a college diploma. Screw the family-family is the hardest crowed to please, they will always find something to criticize- it's what they do ;)

Monentary wise-realize that unfortunately for this country, debt for education is assured for you. It's what's keepin' the population down.
Which is why I wish at least *one* of my parents was born in the EU.
damn.