• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How come we are not allowed to delete accounts.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
I think its fair to say that this board has evolved in to something other than a place to discuss electronic music. I dont want to be a member truthfully I would love to delete my account but Alex d wont let us. Why is this? Alex d have such a compulsion to keep people as members who have no desire to be here? I know youve let your insider cool kids change names and delete accounts why not the rest of us. It seems like this is one of the few places with such dictator type rules about accounts. Honestly I dont really want my internet trolling to be preserved forever. Every other site on the planet lets you delete your account why not this one. Please delete me and all my posts I have no desire to be on this site anymore. I dont want to post ban worthy stuff just delete me. Please and thanks.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
The posts are associated to the logins, deleting the login will make the historical posts you've made be associated to "User" or whatever the default setting is.

Why would you need to delete your account versus just never log in again, or stop visiting this site?

I'm sure Alex could change your password for ya and then you won't be able to post.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I dont want to post ban worthy stuff just delete me. Please and thanks.
Accounts on TRIBE aren't deleted. This was made very clear in the TOS you agreed to when registering on TRIBE, before you could make your first post on TRIBE. This is why it is recommended that users do not use their real names as username on TRIBE or post self-identifying information, however that is their choice to make.

Other sites and many forums maintain a continuity of post content as well. We are not alone in this respect. Other sites like the internet archive (wayback machine) and many search engines also cache content in perpetuity.

We do it to archive the growth, history, and changes in the electronic music community in Toronto.

I can turn off your account however, and if you want that, just send me a PM or email and I will make it happen.

Thanks for being a part of TRIBE,

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
why not just stop posting? why do you need to delete your old posts? do you think someday your kids will find this site, connect the dots and realize that, backinthaday, daddy did drugs and started message board fights?

p.s. why stop posting? this board is still fun. much less traffic than in the heyday but the discussions on varioius topics are still better than other sites. while it may not be a site that is as much about partying and electronic music anymore, the majority of users were once or still are part of that community, which leads to some commonality of mindset and attitude.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Honestly Alex I signed up for Tribe well over a decade ago and noone reads TOS. A lot has changed over the years the internet has changed, social media has changed. Like I said I used this for trolling acting a fool and talking about things that I no longer believe or would want to be connected with. Id really like to have my posts not viewable any more. Alex does what youve mentioned accomplish that? I mean there are no Soju posts or Smile or countless other banned members. Shouldnt a regular user have at least as much control over their posts as someone whos banned?

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
why not just stop posting? why do you need to delete your old posts? do you think someday your kids will find this site, connect the dots and realize that, backinthaday, daddy did drugs and started message board fights?

p.s. why stop posting? this board is still fun. much less traffic than in the heyday but the discussions on varioius topics are still better than other sites. while it may not be a site that is as much about partying and electronic music anymore, the majority of users were once or still are part of that community, which leads to some commonality of mindset and attitude.
You're right its not about the board its about all the questionable stuff ive posted over the years, trolling or not id just like my posts removed if possible. Im not trying to be a dick about it. If its possible can you please remove my old posts or do whatever you do to a banned member to make them disappear. Please.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Change your email to one not associated to you, change your password to drivel and go away.

The internet has already archived your stupidity... there's no erasing it now... live... learn. be less stupid.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Hi Alex,

Can I please change my user name?

Sianspherica is like some old school handle shit I ditched 5 years ago, I cringe a bit when I see it. I still intend on posting here for sure, just sick of my name.

Last edited:

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Except it can be deleted from plain site. So thats what im asking for. If not then why does Alex want to maintain this type of control over the sites users? I think thats a fair question. If facebook didnt allow you to delete accounts people would be up in arms but somehow Tribe gets a pass?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Unless Unique2100 relinquished his intellectual property rights, I think it is his right to have his commentary removed at his request. Or at the very least defaulted to "guest" or "user".

I think both aspects could be accommodated but I'd question the legality of not honoring his request as it does seem reasonable. Maybe KMW could address that?

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Alex, just ban him.

It's what he wants... sortof.

Don't compromise though... leave his account there.

People should be held accountable for their stupidity... it's the only way they will learn.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
What does banning will it make my posts unviewable? Im not asking Alex to do anything he hasnt done for users/friends. Watcher your response of teach him a lesson shows who you are and how you havent grown over the years.

stryker

TRIBE Member
Unless Unique2100 relinquished his intellectual property rights, I think it is his right to have his commentary removed at his request. Or at the very least defaulted to "guest" or "user".
I don't think we as users have any rights. I'm not 100% sure but I've always assumed that any posts/interactions online with properties that you do not wholly own are the property of the site owner.

stew

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
My question is this....do many people know that you (your real name) is also unique2100 on the internet?

If not, then what's the major issue? If your questionable posts here ever came up couldn't you just deny to non-tribe users that You, are "unique2100"?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Banning just disallows you from posting.

Effectively disabling your account.

Your name is preserved, but it makes you go away.

Your posts are already archived in the way back machine and deleting your account will not change that, so your history will be accessible under the name Unique2100 EVEN IF Alex deletes your account.

Or you can just go away,... and all is the same.

You accepted the terms to this site when you signed up, you've changed but the terms have not... in hindsight, be less of a troll.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
if you are insane enough to go back years and years to read someone's old posts, you will often find people have changed, grown, improved. And nothing they said or did in your early 20's correlates to the people they have become now. don't sweat it. most of us are savvy enough to realize that most people online, (a) exaggerate their feelings, (b) tell fictitious stories to amuse themselves and others, and (c) aren't wedded to any opinions they held even 5 years ago. no one's judging your old posts, crazy.

mute79

TRIBE Member
Why not ask him to let you edit posts where you entered your real name and replace with something fake?

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
So basically my question is why does Alex D want and the Watcher get off on so much control. Whats the big deal about deleting my posts? Why has it been allowed to other users if its such a big deal. Alex d can you please kindly delete my posts im sorry I didnt read the TOS carefully in the mid 90s.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
don't sweat it. most of us are savvy enough to realize that most people online, (a) exaggerate their feelings, (b) tell fictitious stories to amuse themselves and others, and (c) aren't wedded to any opinions they held even 5 years ago. no one's judging your old posts, crazy.
This basically.

Everybody has written and said brutal shit on message boards since forever, especially if you've been on a forum for 13 years.

Just deal with the fact that you've evolved and grown up and childish mistakes cannot be expunged from the internet forever.

I for one think it's kind of cool that ancient stuff on Tribe is archived. It's fun to see old threads sometimes, whereas on other nightlife forums 5+ year old threads are often scrapped.