• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How come some girls have such huge hangups about eating?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
...or rather etiquette?

Before all of you start jumping on me, this is not a generalization.

I've just noticed that a lot of girls that I know have really big hangups about the way that people, or boyfriends eat.

For instace, when you hold onto your fork closed fisted.

I used to hold my fork closed fisted all the time until the ridicule from my sister and my mother got so bad that I switched just to shut them up.

My friend once laughed at me because when I ate a steak I cut with my left hand and held the fork in my right hand. That's logical isn't it? I mean, I AM right handed. Instead, she suggested that I should eat it like her. That meant that I cut with my right while holding the fork with my left, and then switch the fork to the right hand when I want to eat.

Seems a little ridiculous if you ask me.

Most of the time I eat like I'm prison.
Hunched over with my arms at my sides carefully protecting my food :)

afterglow

TRIBE Member
My mother would always bitch at me for the way I ate.

She would be so mad if I had mt elbows on the tables and would then call me a "steamshovel" or something like that.

I'm scared to put my elbows on a table anywhere.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Change the Title.

Why does Will have bad table manners?
And can he become the PR Rep for Toronto Taxi Cab Drivers!?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Change the Title.

Why does Will have bad table manners?
And can he become the PR Rep for Toronto Taxi Cab Drivers!?

You're trying to provoke me aren't you?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by afterglow
My mother would always bitch at me for the way I ate.

She would be so mad if I had mt elbows on the tables and would then call me a "steamshovel" or something like that.

I'm scared to put my elbows on a table anywhere.

I just think it's all a little trivial.

I mean, if you're at a formal dinner party that's one thing.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Alita

TRIBE Member
when you hold onto your fork closed fisted

My cousin was convinced that only white people do this

My friend once laughed at me because when I ate a steak I cut with my left hand and held the fork in my right hand. That's logical isn't it? I mean, I AM right handed. Instead, she suggested that I should eat it like her. That meant that I cut with my right while holding the fork with my left, and then switch the fork to the right hand when I want to eat

hahaha I get confused with the fork and knife thing sometimes. I'm not used to it I guess...and yeah sometimes I switch hands. But then again I am also a switch hitter in baseball and I hold a hockey stick the lefty way....but I write with my right hand.

The only hangups I really have about the way other people eat, is if they pick at their food (like it's gross or like they are avoiding eating) or if people chew with their mouths open. I also used to have serious issues about eating in front of people. But not really these days.

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
I was raised on table manners. When my family went to visit my Grandmother there was no fucking around. My mom would prepare us all year for when we would visit her b/c my grandma resembles Martha Stewart in alot of ways.

I've met guys who eat like big pigs before, which can be alittle gross at time especially when they try and talk with a mouth full of food.

afterglow

TRIBE Member
I won't eat with my elbows on teh table at a formal thing, but when i'm at home eating by myself at like 3pm, my mom get's all mad!

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by j bunny 2000

I've met guys who eat like big pigs before, which can be alittle gross at time especially when they try and talk with a mouth full of food.

OK...that IS gross!

...but the whole fork thing seems trivial.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I grew up with four older sisters. Most of my bad habits were beatin out of me in my youth. So now I take the time to teach there children fun games like "show and tell" and how to keep there elbows just above the table and how to slirp there soup.

Its like getting justice but now I'm old enough to enjoy it.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
[BSeems a little ridiculous if you ask me.

Most of the time I eat like I'm prison.
Hunched over with my arms at my sides carefully protecting my food :) [/B]

it's called manners. it's nice to have a few.

imo, parents nag their kids about manners so that they grow up with an appreciation for them and their occasional necessity. they don't have to be followed all the time, but they come easier with practice. and if parents don't talk to their kids about manners at all, they will grow up not having any ever, and thinking they aren't important at all.

i'm not always polite, but i know how to be when necessary.

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
manners are easy, and that's why it looks so awful when someone lacks them. It's like wearing a bright neon sign that says skid.

ila

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: How come some girls have such huge hangups about eating?

Originally posted by chicku
I hold a hockey stick the lefty way....but I write with my right hand.

that's normal.

it's easier to handle your stick when you're sweep checking or reaching for the puck. and the first hand off the stick is usually the bottom one so it makes sense to have your strong hand on the top.

that's why I shoot left.

haha.

but seriously, I think it's endearing when people hold their forks and knives wrong. it's quirky and sort of cute.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: How come some girls have such huge hangups about eating?

Originally posted by mingster
it's called manners. it's nice to have a few.

imo, parents nag their kids about manners so that they grow up with an appreciation for them and their occasional necessity. they don't have to be followed all the time, but they come easier with practice. and if parents don't talk to their kids about manners at all, they will grow up not having any ever, and thinking they aren't important at all.

i'm not always polite, but i know how to be when necessary.

Well put!

I can't handle it when people talk with a mouth full of chow, drives me nuts.