• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How come Italian meals taste so good...

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Nesta

TRIBE Member
you haven't had the right cookies. all these chi chi joints that make these rock hard biscotti got it all wrong. my mom and aunts will blow you away with some of the cookies they make from scratch.

!!!

squirrely

TRIBE Member
omg noooo...my grandma made the YUMMIEST italian desserts. one of my biggest regrets is that i didn't get any cooking lessons from her before she died.

:(

Poot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
you haven't had the right cookies. all these chi chi joints that make these rock hard biscotti got it all wrong. my mom and aunts will blow you away with some of the cookies they make from scratch.

!!!

AMEN!! In fact, I conclude that the only value to attending bridal showers is that big-ass tray of Italian cookies that all the Nonnas made and contributed.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
omg noooo...my grandma made the YUMMIEST italian desserts. one of my biggest regrets is that i didn't get any cooking lessons from her before she died.

YES! - I have been thinking about this a lot lately... once that generation starts to dwindle, who will carry on all the traditions?

Last year I spent all day Christmas eve with my Nonna getting lessons (yes, I did take notes) on her signature dishes. And I am so glad I did that, because this year (for this first time ever) she did not hold Christmas eve dinner, as her health had begun to slide significantly.

lok

TRIBE Member
they say "nut-tella"

also, im going to a wedding next weekend.

i cant fucking wait. nonna attack

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
theres this jewish cookie called "mandelbroidt" or mandel bread for a loose translation...
i friggin' hate it. its hard as a rock and hurts my teeth.
whenever i mention this at jewish family functions, everyone's like "but! but! its just like biscotti!" to which i reply "i hate that stuff too."

too hard. no good.

are florentines italian? cuz i friggin love them. (i realize that sounds silly cuz florence is in italy, but the name sounds french)

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I feel Italian desserts were based on primitive dental extraction.

My Nona and Zia can't make desserts to save their lives.

Indian desserts, now there's something I can eat like pussy. Too bad I can't spell any of them.

silver1

TRIBE Member
It's because Italians use the same amount of salt and garlic in their main courses as they do in their desserts.

jus me

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo

Indian desserts, now there's something I can eat like pussy. Too bad I can't spell any of them.

Ahhh........good stuff!

Too many foods threads lately.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by diablo
...but most of the dessert cookies taste like dog treats?

that's simple

... it's because in most proper italian cooking styles there is not much of a dessert element. with the possible exception of the north dessert in italy usually consists of fruits and espresso

rome, abruzzo, napoli, and even venezia are not where i've learned dessert skills.

of course there are exceptions and some regions specialize in desserts suck as canolli, zeppole, and even tiramisu. but for the most part the southern italian cuisine [that most people have come to love in north america] does not include an elaborate dessert

futronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely

I'm the only one in the family that knows how to make all of my Nonna's cookies, desserts, breads, pastas, etc. Everyone else loves to eat them, but I'm the only one that spends time with her learning them.

-- Jay aka Fut