• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

How clean should I leave my apartment when I move out?

scott

TRIBE Member
So I'm moving out in just over a week. I've lived in this building for just over a year and over the course of the year we've had an eviction notice, cops called numerous times, many complaints, etc.
Needless to say, we weren't the greatest tenants.
We got the place and it was SPOTLESS.
So anyways, we gave notice on the 8th of September - 8 days late to leave at the end of October but the landlord said don't worry about it, it's all good.
End up having an after hours jam back at our place and got a couple more complaints. Landlord comes up, screams in my face and says "sorry pal, you owe for those 8 days now at a prorated rate of $45 a day." K, so this fuckin' sucks but whatever...we prolly deserved it.

So he presents us with this letter saying all this shit about how the place better be spotless and any repairs, cleaning, etc that they need to do after we leave, we'll be billed for.

There's no damage to the actual unit or anything but what kind of recourse does this guy have to come after me for A) the extra 8 days and B) supposed "cleaning" that needs to be done.

PS - We've been stupid since we've lived there but now this dude is just being a straight up prick so I'd obviously rather not pay him a dime.
 

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
oh for fuck's sake.

just clean the damned place. you've cost him enough trouble already.




suck it up. be a grown-up, and get your garbage out, sweep, do a quick mopping, and WIPE DOWN THE TOILET!
you won't have to pay him a cent if you behave like a decent person.
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Why were you being such shitty tennants to get so many complaints? Sounds like I'd be on the landlords side on this one.

And really, the landlord was doing you a favour by letting you off 8 days early, not a huge one - but one none the less, so I think they have every legal right to want that pro-rated $45 a day for the extra 8 days.
 

scott

TRIBE Member
Agreed... But generally do you fill in holes in the wall from where you hung stuff, clean the oven, fridge, etc?

Grumblegirl - Easy.... I wasn't planning on leaving the place a mess. It's just that the letter we received made it seem like the place needs to be in the EXACT same condition as it was when we got it which I find to be a little much.
 

nuttz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scott
So I'm moving out in just over a week. I've lived in this building for just over a year and over the course of the year we've had an eviction notice, cops called numerous times, many complaints, etc.
Needless to say, we weren't the greatest tenants.
We got the place and it was SPOTLESS.
So anyways, we gave notice on the 8th of September - 8 days late to leave at the end of October but the landlord said don't worry about it, it's all good.
End up having an after hours jam back at our place and got a couple more complaints. Landlord comes up, screams in my face and says "sorry pal, you owe for those 8 days now at a prorated rate of $45 a day." K, so this fuckin' sucks but whatever...we prolly deserved it.

So he presents us with this letter saying all this shit about how the place better be spotless and any repairs, cleaning, etc that they need to do after we leave, we'll be billed for.

There's no damage to the actual unit or anything but what kind of recourse does this guy have to come after me for A) the extra 8 days and B) supposed "cleaning" that needs to be done.

PS - We've been stupid since we've lived there but now this dude is just being a straight up prick so I'd obviously rather not pay him a dime.
Do you blame him for being a prick?? Sounds like you've had this coming for a while.

If you don't pay it. He can put you in collections. He will probably add a 50% collection fee on top of what you owe and your credit will be screwed.
 

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scott
PS - We've been stupid since we've lived there but now this dude is just being a straight up prick so I'd obviously rather not pay him a dime.
mindblowing.
 

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that thinks you should leave the place like a sty.

Hopefully you will be better tenants elsewhere.
 

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I would clean it out completely... Then you guys should hire a cleaning service to come in and clean it out... If the place is empty it shouldnt cost too much... This would show initiatie to the landlord that you would like to leave on good terms, and he may not chase you on the money per day...

Think of all the complaints he must have recieved. Its a golden rule to always return things the way you receive them, so if you got it spotless, then you should leave it spotless.
 

scott

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Flashy_McFlash
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that thinks you should leave the place like a sty.

Hopefully you will be better tenants elsewhere.
As previously stated, not planning on leaving it as a sty.

Just wondering what is a generally acceptable condition to leave the place in.
 

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scott
Agreed... But generally do you fill in holes in the wall from where you hung stuff, clean the oven, fridge, etc?

Grumblegirl - Easy.... I wasn't planning on leaving the place a mess. It's just that the letter we received made it seem like the place needs to be in the EXACT same condition as it was when we got it which I find to be a little much.
ok - i have just moved into too many disaster zones. that kind of asshole behaviour really gets me riled up.

i generally leave my apartments in as good, or better condition, like deevah said.

yes - fill the holes in the walls - it only takes a few minutes.
and definitely wipe down the fridge/stove.
it *does* have to be in the same condition as you got it.

edit: i usually move all my crap out, and then return, armed with broom, mop, cleaning supplies, and bucket, and do the whole thing in a couple of hours. it's much faster with everything out already.
 
Last edited:

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scott
As previously stated, not planning on leaving it as a sty.

Just wondering what is a generally acceptable condition to leave the place in.
Exactly as you received it. Would you like to move in somewhere with a stinky fridge and stove???
 

lucky1

TRIBE Member
My building is a coop and in the coop agreement is a section that states when you leave the unit has to be in move in condition... and that includes clean washroom, fridge, and stove.

YOu sound like the worst possible neighbour.... how old are you 19?
 

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Actually I agree with deevah. Put some time into cleaning the place...leave it spotless.

Your landlord has been more than reasonable with you (putting up with your shit, letting you stay longer than you should, dealing with all sorts of complaints from the neighbors and police etc) so there is no reason why you should be less than courteous to him.

And the $45 per day charge? Good for him. You're acting as though you were entitled to stay past your move out date and you weren't. He did you a favour and you abused it.
 

scott

TRIBE Member
Well okay then. I get it. Clean the fucking place and leave it sparkling.

Works out alright cuz I move out on the 22nd and have a week to do that stuff. I just hate the fact that you're all right...including the landlord.

We did suck as tenants. That is why I will never, ever have a roommate EVER again. My next place will be my little fortress of solitude and cleanliness.
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
once you move all your crap out, mop the floor, wipe down the windows / baseboards / etc / etc.

Clean out the fridge - if its empty, it shouldnt be that hard.

Get some wall-putty shit to fill in the holes, it should take all of two seconds.

Wipe down the bathroom, sinks, etc.

Atleast get it so its not horrible. Chances are the landlord will end up cleaning the place no matter how clean you've left it - but best to try and get some good karma going or something.

Or, hire someone to clean it after you move out, prob run under 100 bucks.

hopefully you wont be needing to give this landlord as a reference, as it sounds like he wont have much nice to say about you
 

afterglow

TRIBE Member
In my case, I left furniture behind because my landlords treating us and the building like crap. Since they had no forwarding address or my cerdit card I felt free to let them clean up.

In your case, it is the opposite. You seemed to have caused a lot of grief for your building/landlord/tennants.

I recommend leaving the place as you found it.

Or ask your landlord what his definition is by spotless.
 

scott

TRIBE Member
Re: clean that shit!

Originally posted by chooch
you've been sent to the tribe school of being schooled, scott!
it certainly appears that way. i really am a respectable young man, but we've had a few benders at our place that got out of hand....what can i say...
 

chooch

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: clean that shit!

Originally posted by scott
it certainly appears that way. i really am a respectable young man, but we've had a few benders at our place that got out of hand....what can i say...
hey...we've all been there, either at our place or a friends...do the right thing. you'll feel better about it and maybe your landlord will still rent to dudes.

guy friend of mine had a hell of a time finding a place to rent due to being a young male. help the cause. clean it, man.
 

Jennika

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scott
It's just that the letter we received made it seem like the place needs to be in the EXACT same condition as it was when we got it which I find to be a little much.
um yes, that's totally right. you do have to leave it exactly as you got it.
 

Fairie

TRIBE Member
When I moved out of my old place, the super did an inspection of the apartment prior to my giving him the keys. I then had to sign the inspection sheet to say I agreed with it.

The things they looked for:
- holes in the wall filled
- fridge, stove, cupboards and countertops all sparkling clean
- the bathroom was mopped and the tub/toliet cleaned
- floors vacuumed
- balcony cleaned - no bottles, cigarette butts etc.
- walls wiped down (no marks or smudges)

Depending on what the damage is, they will charge you. It's in your best interest to do the work. It only took me a morning and it saves a lot of money.
 
Top