• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How boring is Toronto's municipal election campaign?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Really boring IMO. Too boring to take a pole even! I was hoping to come back to Toronto to an exciting gloves-off fight about issues and substance. What was I thinking? If it wasn't for crackhead, listening to paint drying would be more exciting.

acheron

TRIBE Member
it's far too early.. we've still got what, six months to go, with the summer lull in between.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
^^^
totally. we can all bemoan the lack of civic engagement but relatively speaking, we're way ahead of previous times at this point in the calendar.

I mean, I couldn't get over journalists who should know better, like the usually terrific Edward Keenan, getting on Tory and Chow a few weeks back about dithering.
That big splashy New York Times Magazine feature last year designed to launch Anthony Weiner as a mayoral candidate (it was the first time he confirmed, yes I'm running)? Was published on April 10.

Heck, I remember taking a camera out to do a demo reel in 2003 and it must have been late August/early Sept. because one of the topics was a sporting event from that time. The other topic was on the Toronto election and I think it was about 40/60 the people I approached in terms of those who could say something intelligible about the candidates and those who knew shit.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
The campaign is way too long.

Also people and the media need to spend more time on the Councillor Races and less on the mayor. The Mayor is 1 vote. It is council that has the power and we all but ignore the process of voting them in.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

coleridge

TRIBE Member
The campaign is way too long.

Also people and the media need to spend more time on the Councillor Races and less on the mayor. The Mayor is 1 vote. It is council that has the power and we all but ignore the process of voting them in.
Yeah I'm fascinated to see who steps up in your ward with Vaughan out of the picture. Hopefully someone who at least understands that a City's culture extends beyond 9pm.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I just hope its someone who can both respect The Taxpayers AND consider The Children (won't someone please consider the children??)