• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

How big should my snowboard be?

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
depends on your riding style. you could probably go 160 plus... a lot of it depends on what you want out of the board though.
riding powder? jibbing? ontario ice carving?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
How bout all of the above?

I want a board that I can use freestyle on a halfpipe as well as downhill.

The board in question is approx 154cm with a wood core. It seems pretty small.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Will there is no such thing :p

There is racing board, freeriding board and pipe boards.

As for size it's a personal preference IMO.

I ride a 153 Large Wide and it's quite small for someone my size, but it's doing me fine.

I would say you'd shoot for a 159-163.
If you actually want to ride pipe a lot, maybe a bit smaller.

pr0nstar :D

Preroller

TRIBE Member
154 is a bit small IMO, but if you are just learning, it might not be too bad. I had a 154 in BC POW and I'm 5'10.

Around here...smaller = better

Park riding smaller = better

big mountain bigger = better

IMO, but its all about how you feel!

DAVE

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vinder

TRIBE Member
unless you're planning on pipe riding alone, it's a touch small for you. but hey, for $100 who cares.

depraved

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
How bout all of the above?

I want a board that I can use freestyle on a halfpipe as well as downhill.

The board in question is approx 154cm with a wood core. It seems pretty small.

At 6'/190, you might find it a bit unstable carving at full speed downhill (since you're just starting, that's no biggie), but should be just fine in the halfpipe.

To give you some idea of board size: I'm 5'10/175 & ride a 164 all-mountain board (not as much sidecut), but I'm not a park & pipe rat.

Last edited:

marcinm

TRIBE Member
yeah, it might be a bit small on you.. but then again i ride a 172 board, and i've gone as low as 149.... well, that was a bit tricky as my toes dragged all over the place :D

but yeah, $100 bucks means "Take it" ps. what make is it/model.. that's sorta important too ;)

Lurch

TRIBE Member
half your age plus 7

ummmm nope thats something else.......I'm 6'5" 245#'s and I ride a 162 you should be fine with that size in ontario...

marcinm

TRIBE Member
oh yeah... i'm like 6'6" and 208 lbs just to give u an idea for sizing... and i take my 172 board into the pipe too.. and sometimes to bust some 3's :D

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
When did I say I was a beginner?

Actually, i've been boarding for about 10 years on and off, I just don't know that much about it. I started boarding back when they didn't even have rentals and only a few places would allow you on the slopes with your own board! I'm OLD SKOOL! :p

It's just that there was a couple years here and there between that time span that I didn't go simply cuz I had no board and no money.

Anyhow, I'm not gonna buy it. I strapped myself in and I felt like I was going to snap it from trying to do a manual.

Casper

TRIBE Member
it should suit you fine in onatrio. i rode a 159 and i'm 6'1", took it out west even all the way back i'd be doing flips after my nose dug in, then again it didn't have much of a curve at the front. got a 168, it was perfect, but i'm back on the 159 in ontario. for a hunderd bones, who cares? it's easier to learn on something short anyways,
peace

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Preroller
154 is a bit small IMO, but if you are just learning, it might not be too bad. I had a 154 in BC POW and I'm 5'10.

Around here...smaller = better

Park riding smaller = better

big mountain bigger = better

IMO, but its all about how you feel!

DAVE
Yes.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Casper
For a hunderd bones, who cares? it's easier to learn on something short anyways,
peace

QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr_Furious

Actually, i've been boarding for about 10 years on and off, I just don't know that much about it. I started boarding back when they didn't even have rentals and only a few places would allow you on the slopes with your own board! I'm OLD SKOOL!

...Um.........Nevermind.....

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
normally (according to the experts, whoever they are), proper board size should be between your neck and your nose in height, but it really just depends on what feels good for you.

for your height and weight, a 154 might be considered too small, but i've seen many tall riders swear by their short sticks ;)

personally, i enjoy longer boards (5'11" 175lbs). i'm riding a 159 and that is still shorter than my last ride which was a 165. bigger boards are more stable at high speeds, have more of an edge to play with, and are faster...they do take a bit more skill to control, but well worth it for the increase in speed.

in the end for $100 and riding in ontario, long or short board, its a bargoon.

hey will, we're riding tomorrow. wanna come?

one

- that big stick guy :cool:

Casper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by by Mr_Furious:
QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr_Furious

Actually, i've been boarding for about 10 years on and off, I just don't know that much about it. I started boarding back when they didn't even have rentals and only a few places would allow you on the slopes with your own board! I'm OLD SKOOL!

...Um.........Nevermind.....

sorry, what i mean to say was: for an elite rider like yourself maybe you should consider a custom-made board tailored specifically to your height, weight, and expert technical ability. screw this piece of shit,
peace

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Easiest way to figure it out.

pull down your pants and measure your dick with a tape measurer.

take that measurement (in CM) and multiply it by 100

voila! your board size.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Casper
sorry, what i mean to say was: for an elite rider like yourself maybe you should consider a custom-made board tailored specifically to your height, weight, and expert technical ability. screw this piece of shit,
peace

DAS RIGHT!

Really though, i'd say I'm about intermediate.

I can snowboard moguls and black diamonds no problem.

...well, without seriously hurting myself at least, but I'm no expert.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by that 420 guy

hey will, we're riding tomorrow. wanna come?

Damn, If I had more cash for a rental, i'd be all over this.

Plus, me, Kalemic, and Steve Mack have our Novo party at Apothecary to put together *shameless plug*

Definitely next time though!

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I'm 6'2" and I ride a 155. It works fine for park, pipe, and when I get those rare opportunities, mountain. I'm sure a bigger board would be better in the pow, but mine held up just fine!

Stiffness is also a question. I like a board with a little flex, but not too soft.

For $100, you can't go wrong, if you don't like it on the hill, you've got yourself a jib-board for those street sessions