• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

how big is japan latitude wise?

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
i had this debate a while ago any one know this for a fact,

japan from it's northern most point to its southern most is almost the same latitude as the US (excluding alaska).

any geography heads out there know this?

and while im on this topic,
a biology teacher once told me pigs apparently are one of the smartest animals after dolphins...
is that true?

mingster

TRIBE Member
i don't know, but i have a question for you.

i'm trying to plan a trip to costa rica, and the distances it'll take me to get from place to place. it looks to me that cr is about the same size as florida...think that's right?

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by judge wopner
a biology teacher once told me pigs apparently are one of the smartest animals after dolphins...
is that true?
Pigs are very smart, but I don't think they beat Chimps :p

pr0nstar :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
if you look on the map japan is longer than cali from end to end... i dont get it...

and if pigs are smart but not as smart as chimps how do they measure it?

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1

ah so looks like japan is about 30 degrees by 45 degrees long (assuming that top island is part of them) and the west coast is about just under 30 degrees to just under 45 degrees.
am i looking at this map right, they would then be about the same lenght latitude wise non?

:: salathe ::

TRIBE Member
it's less than the north-south distance of the us if you're considering just the 4 main islands. if you consider the archipelago of minuscule islands to the south of kyushu, it is approx the same as the us, north to south, give or take a degree or so.

there are an additional 4000 islands or so to hokkaido, honshu, shikoku and kyushu so japan may be well longer than the us. i have not looked into it in such detail.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

swilly

TRIBE Member
On the whole the assumption is correct. With many of these general geographic generalizations there is always much detail over looked. But you could safely say that Japan and the US are for the most part equal in terms of thier north south demensions give or take several degrees.

swilly

Casey

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: how big is japan latitude wise?

Originally posted by pr0nstar
Pigs are very smart, but I don't think they beat Chimps :p

pr0nstar :D
or any catarrhines for that matter.

:: salathe ::

TRIBE Member
on a related note, what do cartographers do these days? in the 21st century i assume they are not drawing maps by hand anymore. are there still parts of the world that are not mapped in sufficient detail?