• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Houston Absolutely Not a Problem?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
So katrina was the disaster both natural and man-made. Why isn't the 2nd part happening in Houston? Well managed disaster? Really?

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Topography is different in NOLA (essentially a bowl thats under sea level), Houston is a richer city, and this aint over yet.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
all concrete + very little remaining grasslands /. marsh to soak and disperse the water + zero regulations
= Houston is indeed fucked.

Interstate I-10 in Houston has become an ocean.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Topography is different in NOLA (essentially a bowl thats under sea level), Houston is a richer city, and this aint over yet.
Also there has been some learning since New Orleans at all levels of government. In New Orleans there was some shit happening at all levels so people werent all on the same page and pulling in the same direction.

Less of that bullshit now. Better processes and checklists.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Welcome to the next 50 years of our lives people. Get the feeling "Coastal city under threat" stuff will be a fixture of our futures on an ascending frequency.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Oh good. Sky fairy Olympics are on and the first round scores are in:
Sociopathic Evangelicals - 0
Muslims - 1

Barring a homicide bombing, I'm pretty sure the Prophet's team has the match. We'll have to wait though. Apparently the game has been delayed due to rain.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
fucking scam artist.
the only other thing he should be opening his doors to is the IRS for an audit.

deep

TRIBE Member
I think there are certainly man-made contributors to the devastation there. Have friends in Houston whose homes were destroyed by the city / Army Corps of Engineers deciding to open certain reservoirs / dams that resulted in flooding of entire neighbourhoods. That was done to avert worse problems / loss of life, but there was zero communication around this decision. So people went to bed thinking they were out of harm's way and woke up in the middle of the night to their houses being flooded with chest deep water and needing to evacuate immediately. There's talk of a class action lawsuit around this as people could have saved their homes with some notice.

85% of Houston doesn't have flood insurance coverage and part of this has to do with the zoning rules and definitions put into place about what kind of areas are required by law to have flood protection. Those definitions weren't changed in spite of there being several events in recent years to suggest it needed adaptation. So it could be argued the lack of planning adaptation put people into a position where they are financially not going to able to recover from this.

And now we do have chemical plants, pipelines and the oil patch production facilities adding to the nature induced damage. It's tough to plan for a biblical floods when designing a facility but if this weren't a major hub for energy production they wouldn't have the now toxic clean up to contend with.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I think there are certainly man-made contributors to the devastation there. Have friends in Houston whose homes were destroyed by the city / Army Corps of Engineers deciding to open certain reservoirs / dams that resulted in flooding of entire neighbourhoods. That was done to avert worse problems / loss of life, but there was zero communication around this decision. So people went to bed thinking they were out of harm's way and woke up in the middle of the night to their houses being flooded with chest deep water and needing to evacuate immediately. There's talk of a class action lawsuit around this as people could have saved their homes with some notice.

85% of Houston doesn't have flood insurance coverage and part of this has to do with the zoning rules and definitions put into place about what kind of areas are required by law to have flood protection. Those definitions weren't changed in spite of there being several events in recent years to suggest it needed adaptation. So it could be argued the lack of planning adaptation put people into a position where they are financially not going to able to recover from this.

And now we do have chemical plants, pipelines and the oil patch production facilities adding to the nature induced damage. It's tough to plan for a biblical floods when designing a facility but if this weren't a major hub for energy production they wouldn't have the now toxic clean up to contend with.
My friends - native here - living in Houston just got back. Had to split. Work shut down. House destroyed. They're fully insured.

The first thing she said was, "God's will, eh? How you like me now?"

The first thing he said was, "I've got 3 weeks off. Any good parties happening?".

Proper Canadians.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
So katrina was the disaster both natural and man-made. Why isn't the 2nd part happening in Houston? Well managed disaster? Really?
It's pretty obvious if Mother Nature dumps 2.4 trillion gallons of water on you. Something Needs to be immediately done to repair Houston. And the folks that are out of place. Nothing else to be said.