• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

House Music Lounges?

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
I’m new to the city and not really into the club scene like I used to be but still love house music! Curious to know if there are any lounges downtown that play garage, funky and groovy house to hang out and drink to? Or anything like that?

Thanks in advance,

Sean B

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
alto basso @ 718 college st.

djs dino & terry are there on fridays spinning soulful uderground dance music and saturdays with stephen byfield (spinning classic house, funk, garage) are great too.

here's a little description of the place...

From its location on College St. (718 College St.) in Toronto's "Little Italy" district, Alto Basso provides a music program specializing in deeply soulful house music as well as various genres of electronic and urban music.

Alto Basso is an oasis for mature individuals seeking an intelligent nightlife experience without the hassles of large clubs nor the elitism of so-called "upscale" lounges with VIP rooms and the like. Once you are inside Alto Basso, there will be no more ropes, checkpoints, or exclusive rules.

Alto Basso has carved a unique niche in Toronto's nightlife by going back to basics: the best DJ's, great service, a great menu featuring dishes with sumptuous ingredients, subtle yet stylish decor and lighting, friendly staff and a sound system that surpasses most, if not all, lounges/bars in the city. (the sound has just recently been upgraded as well.)

The space is purpose-built for dinner, "chill-lounging" and dancing with an upper level lounge/bar/resto layout and a lower-level dance-floor/bar area. Small tables and stools surround the lower-level dancefloor with a dimly-lit ambience throughout, consisting of subtle lighting accentuated by candlelight which enhances the design and overall vibe of the venue. Over the January break, design/visual decor enhancements have also been added by artistic director Mychol Holtzman (artistic director for famed Industry Nightclub, who has also done work at many other venues such as System Soundbar, Element and most recently, Hush/Underbar) and other design/decor elements will still be added over the next few weeks.

The goal at Alto Basso is simple... selecting the right ingredients and characters that combine to make an eclectic crowd mix. Presently, there is a trend towards smaller venues because of the greater intimacy that they can offer. When individuals pass the age of 25 or so, they get tired of the herd mentality. They want to go somewhere they can conduct a conversation, somewhere they can be heard, not herded. Alto Basso offers that comfortable medium - a bit glam, a bit stylish, yet still underground, vibrant, and most importantly- musically-driven.

Torontonians can look forward to a wealth of musical talent finding an intimate platform from which they can be heard. In its first 2 years, Alto Basso has featured some of the finest local and international talent in the underground dance music and 'urban' arena: Louis Benedetti (Soulshine Recordings, Miami), Mark Grant (Om Records, San Francisco), John Acquaviva (Plus 8 Recordings), Hatiras (Defected), Miguel Graca (Bombay Records,Montreal), Alix Alvarez (Distance, MAW Records, NYC), Steven Mestre (Kick Affiliates, NYC), K-OS (Source Magazine's Best International Hip-Hop album winner in '03), Peter & Tyrone (83 West Records), Dino & Terry (Crash Records), jojoflores (Gotsoul Recordings, Montreal), Nick Holder (DNH Records), Jason Palma (Higher Ground), Richard Brooks (Jazz Flight Unlimited, Chorduruoy Records), Ali Black (livinlarge), Christian Newhook (PanTiki Sound System), Peter Bosco (Garagehousemusic.com), Mat Chrysdale, Groove Institute (Solid Garage), the Poundhouse crew, DJ Stuart Li (Basic Soul Unit), John Kumahara (Iwanai), Alvaro C. and Boris (Quadrasonic), Alvaro G. (Layers, 4nMusic), Marco & Martino (Iwanai, Gemma Records), DJ Fase, Benjamin Boles, DJ Ill Na Na, Angel & Cullen (LifeSize Music), Gene King & Ray Prasad (Vibes n' Vinyl 88.1 CKLN) to name just a few out of a LONG list of talented artists.

d

zoo

TRIBE Member
i have a friend that wants me to take her out for her birthday [well, she wants me to pick a place for her friends to meet at] that plays house music, isn't too "jumpin" or "ravey" like system, isn't too thugged like money, or snooty like inside/plastique/etc

would alto basso be a good choice?

the description above sounds good, but that looks like a toronto.com quote, and that site can get pretty out of date ...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
Thanks a lot!
I really enjoy Dino & Terry's style so I'll definitely have to check it out

Any other places you can suggest?

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
I was at the new Cache (formerly Temple) off Wellington just east of Spadina a couple weeks back on Friday night and they were playing some great deep house. Apparently they do every Friday (maybe more often than that?). There is lots of seating too which is always nice and it was a nice, relaxed club feel. Almost like clubbers taking the night off, or people who used to party and still like the music and vibe.

I was impressed :)

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by L'ilMisSunshine
I was at the new Cache (formerly Temple) off Wellington just east of Spadina a couple weeks back on Friday night and they were playing some great deep house. Apparently they do every Friday (maybe more often than that?). There is lots of seating too which is always nice and it was a nice, relaxed club feel. Almost like clubbers taking the night off, or people who used to party and still like the music and vibe.

I was impressed :)

Cache is owned by the owners of Wild Indigo on College st. :)

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by T_Dot_House
What happening here on that nite?

the layers monthly jam throws down with djs Kevin Jazzy J., Alvaro G., Russell Harris, Darren Matsunaga playing:
soulful house, breaks, disco. $5

good guys. ;)

d

Bloom! Productions

TRIBE Member
it's not in toronto but the new ATMOSPHERE CAFE + ETC. in GUELPH is the place to lounge on FRIDAY NIGHTS. luscious selections by DEENO from 8PM-1AM. located downtown at 24 CARDEN STREET. SOUL, RARE GROOVE & HOUSE.

http://www.atmospherecafe.ca > coming soon!

in toronto, i would definitely recommend alto basso and insomnia cafe.

peace,
deeno

zoo

TRIBE Member
are alto basso or insomnia good on saturdays?

where good = house music?

... and not TOO strict on entrances ... i do want to get in after all :)

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bloom! Productions
it's not in toronto but the new ATMOSPHERE CAFE + ETC. in GUELPH is the place to lounge on FRIDAY NIGHTS. luscious selections by DEENO from 8PM-1AM. located downtown at 24 CARDEN STREET. SOUL, RARE GROOVE & HOUSE.

http://www.atmospherecafe.ca > coming soon!

in toronto, i would definitely recommend alto basso and insomnia cafe.

peace,
deeno

Well I'm orginally from Cambridge so if I go visit my parents or friends on a weekend, I'll have to check this out in Guelph.

Cheers!

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by zoo
are alto basso or insomnia good on saturdays?

where good = house music?

... and not TOO strict on entrances ... i do want to get in after all :)

stephen byfield is amazing at alto basso on saturdays... a real crowd favourite and a down-to-earth, good guy as well. i won't even get into his djing skills and programming! (classics, garage, touches of funk, etc.)
alto is not strict at all when it comes to 'entrance'. dress code is not an issue and as you long as you don't show up too late, you'll have no problems whatsoever getting in. to be safe, just try and get there by 11:30pm on saturdays (i heard it was busy pretty early last week) although i'm sure you'll still get in after that time. you may experience a small 'line' waiting to get in after that time as the talent usually commands an audience a little bigger than capacity can legally permit. ;)

d

djnova

TRIBE Promoter
every 1st saturday of the month we play @ nasa (609 queen)
spinnin up the house + disco beats! its always free
and my bet is you'll enjoy the tunes!

welcome to Toronto!