• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

House, and the state that it's in...

circle

TRIBE Member
Where do you see the "house scene" going this year? Will it rise and get up to where it stood before? Or will it stay at the slow and steady pace that it is now?
How can WE help make the scene get better? What do we need to make the scene better? New venues? Big names? Is the scene ever gonna get up to the way it used to be? I sure hope so....

Something that was THAT GOOD, should be felt again. Aren't you tired of saying, "ah, the good old days".

physix

TRIBE Member
i think the current state is good for house music.

alot of producers are not thinking so much with their pocketbooks.

those that do will be dealt with karmatically...

since they are thinking so much with their pocketbooks,
they are focusing on (gasp) making music... and freeing
their minds more to think slightly outside the box.

you have folks like Hodges and even Seamus Haji, 2 dif't
styles of house, but both did the same thang: in essence,
they reminded us that above all, house music (and dance
music in general) is supposed to be fun... and we're supposed
to have fun listening -- and dancing -- to it.

that, hopefully, will be a continued trend in 2004:

having fun!

TRO

TRIBE Member
I don't think that at all physix with regard to the pocketbook...

for a minute we've been in the whole dark sounds from the progressive tip...now the funk and fun of house has slowly become fused with Progressivemusic...

what I think people and producers are going back now is, as you said back in the day

HCCR did it with robert owens...josh wink's newest material is a very simple sound...and events from jungle to house to hip-hop are having more and more "classic tune events' dedicated to such joints...

The point is is that when the crowd wants to go back to a simpler time in the music...the producers will have to feed that to them...we're seeing this trend in Rock music where the stripped down accustic sound is gaining popularity fast...and we'll see the same happening to house music...more simpler tunes with some of the elements incorperated now just to let us know it's a new tune...

also, we'll see a lot of remixing from classics and more parties offering that "back in the Day" vibe...

essentially, We will just witness a re-birth, stirpped down version of our beloved house and you can see that now or at least I can with the focus being drawn away from the big room and the deeper more chiller tunes getting massive exposure...

anyways thats just from what I have been seeing lately

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Times are good and their only going to get better...

Originally posted by circle
Aren't you tired of saying, "ah, the good old days".
Reflecting upon 2003 I realized what a huge year it was for house. Taking back the reigns from the dark, brooding, non-funky side of things we are now elbows deep into a new period of the scene. When we go out now, a ton of the music we get to hear is being produced by canadians and lots of new faces have popped up making things exciting and vibrant again.

I'm looking forward to what 2004 has to offer. I have my memories to make me smile, but to use them as a comparison to what is building now makes me realize that I'm not appreciating what's going on at this time.

It is going to be a kickass year, and I'm looking forward to seeing lots of old/ new faces and djs. I'm dying to hear all the new music that people are pushing. I can't wait to see what new ideas people are going to bring to their parties.

House music all night long...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
I think diversity is good for house music.

The progressive sounds are great, but can be slow moving and often too repetative to keep people on the floor in my opinion.

I've felt that the deeper, funkier and more soulful sounds were taking over, which is great in the right environment.

But personally, I still prefer the more jackin stuff to keep me going. Pump it up, and switch it up as much as possible.

As far as the scene goes, supporting local talent is key. I'd like to see some of our local producers getting the recogntion they deserve.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
I think the general 'quality' of the music will be better this year due to many of the big name realizing that they've slacked off considerably in the past couple years. I don't see record sales increasing but I don't see them slumping much more either. The fact that there are probably 5 times more people producing house music today than even 4 years ago has been a big shock to an industry that didn't know how to effectively deal with the increase in both releases and new record labels. Much of this (coupled with but not limited to digital media) is the cause of many labels, record stores & producers giving up. The once tight-knit house music industry (even though it was Global) has exploded at the seams! Slowly the smoke is clearing and some fresh new ideas and sounds are emerging and IMO for the better!

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
House music is damn fine right now. Its progressing forward as always.
i dun feel like typing as much as everyone else. So this is all i have to say. Keep it Hard and Funky...

DAvo..

physix

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DJ TRO
I don't think that at all physix with regard to the pocketbook...

wait.. so are you saying house producers ARE thinking
with regard to their pocketbook moreso than the music?

olde

TRIBE Member
Re: Times are good and their only going to get better...

Originally posted by fleaflo
Taking back the reigns from the dark, brooding, non-funky side of things we are now elbows deep into a new period of the scene.
I think this has a lot to do with the renewed interest across the pond, where so many labels are situated, with the original New York and Chicago sounds. The darker brooding stuff dominated everything for so long, because european audiences dominated for so long.

For the past few years, to go out and actually hear a bassline was next to impossible. Mabye people realized they don't watn to stay up all night dancing to music that makes them want to hide under their covers. Theres a difference between Tuff and just plain excessive, mabye the line has been drawn and a happy medium reachd.
Same goes for the renewed interest in detroit techno, and techno trying to remember a day when the German beaurocratic sound didnt dominate the scene.

I hate to say this but electro-clash $$movement$$ has probably done more for house and techno than anyone would like to admit.

AS for people thining with their pocketbooks, who doesn't? thats why house music production is inundated with pseudonyms.

jordan

AkashSinha

TRIBE Member
i think acid will make it back too.
everything goes in cycles and while there may be abit of a lull in cubland compared to a couple of years ago ... the number of people that are aware of house music has increased

you play house music - especially the funky stuff - for non clubbers, and i can say that 85% of them love it! even if they don't know what it is.

the best way to keep it alive is to keep throwing events - however small - and most importantly, keep attending events. if you play it, they will dance :)

circle

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AkashSinha

you play house music - especially the funky stuff - for non clubbers, and i can say that 85% of them love it! even if they don't know what it is.

So true man. This happened just recently to me. I was playing at this loft party on new year's eve and there were some people there that don't listen to house at all. AS soon as I hit the decks and bumped it, they were all over it and were like "what?!?! this is dope!" Until that moment, all they listened to was hip hop, but it all changed that night. If we could just all help open people's minds and expose them to this amazing thing we call house, I think we'll be ok...

It was very refreshing to see someone "feel" house for the first time. I sure as hell will never forget the first time I "felt" house.

Eclipze

TRIBE Member
i totally agree. I played a warehouse party not to long ago and the dj on before me was playing hip hop and shiat.. crowd was loving it. I came on with the 4/4 beats...and it took a few tracks to get them going. But once i started laying down those funky ass shakers, nobody was left standing still. HOUSE baby!

TRO

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by physix
wait.. so are you saying house producers ARE thinking
with regard to their pocketbook moreso than the music?
sorry bro I read that wrong I think they ARE NOT:p

heheh

-dyslexic Bill

d.code

TRIBE Member
Hey its all about the free party scene and the places where those (you?) scenesters are far away from! ...
...and stupid hoes shakin those asses for the sake of ass shakin and not ass shakin because the music is good...
...and out of smokey clubs....
...and away from nice clubs where common party people aint welcomed...

whoop!
well im done makin' an idiot out of my self in this thread.. on to another...

Bloom! Productions

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by circle
Something that was THAT GOOD, should be felt again. Aren't you tired of saying, "ah, the good old days".
i think in five years, we'll be looking back to today and saying "ah, the good old days." that's just the way it goes...

house music will always be alive as long as we keep it real and true.

i'm with dave on this one...
house music all night long.
deeno

orange richie

TRIBE Member
Good points raised by most of you. I think this year was a transitional year, a lot has changed but for the better. 2004 will be a good year for house judging from what';s been happenening this year. I'm agreeing with the 'electro doing good things for house and techno' statement. You know why? Because electro has a really cheeky fun side to it which house/techno should have IMO.

duggystyler

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Bloom! Productions
i think in five years, we'll be looking back to today and saying "ah, the good old days." that's just the way it goes...

house music will always be alive as long as we keep it real and true.

yup, yup, and yup. i remember people saying "ah, the good ole' days", when i was going to my first parties in '94. that just proves deeno's point that house will always be alive. the stuff's been getting people all hot and bothered for more than 20 years now. nothing will replace 'the feeling'

AkashSinha

TRIBE Member
i think the "ah, the good old days" sentiment has more to do with our frame of mind rather than any state of decline that house music may have gone through

anytime we look back nostalgically on a time when we were first introduced to a scene - it was the heyday for us. those coming into the scene now will look back on these days with fondness as well, no doubt.

but - if anything .. i think the music has gotten better. sounds are more fresh, but the vibe remains

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I'm sure many of you must have realized this by now - 2003 was the return of acid house! There were more 303 laden productions put out this year than in all of 2000 so far!

Music history (for anyone who follows it), has shown time and time again, since music began that when a genre of music gets stale, it does the following:

- looks backwards and steals ideas from its past and makes them new again. (acid, 80's house)

- looks at other similar genres and steals ideas from it. (progressive, techno, electro, music from the 80's, and all those great house mashups).

Soon we will have exhausted the 80's and acid, we did 2-3 years of tribal house before we all got bored to tears, I give acid and 80's another year, to mutate and expand. This year I think house will hear alot more acoustic live sounds alongside the current trend of acid and 80's, tonnes more vocal tunes than non-vocal tunes, and not just lush female r'n'b voices or quirky vocal snippets, but more overt creativity with a larger range of emotion.

In other words, it looks like another great year for house!!

odbx

duggystyler

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by derek
^^^

acid house owes marshall jefferson a debt of gratitude for making the 303 squeal:D
marshall jefferson IS acid house, the squeal of the 303 is what makes acid acid.