• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

hotdocs 2006.

patio-d

TRIBE Member
Mystic Ball
(Canada, USA, 2006, 83 min)

Directors: Greg Hamilton

Mystic Ball is about Greg Hamilton, a man of mixed race raised in foster homes who has always searched for a place of belonging. A former member of the martial arts community, his realization that he didn't want to hurt people eventually led him to the little-known sport of chinlone, a game that changed his life. Mystic Ball tells the story of Hamilton's journey to the beautiful country of Myanmar in his attempt to learn more about their national sport. The more he learns the more he becomes obsessed with trying to master this dance-like sport. We follow him as he becomes the first foreigner to play in one of the huge Buddhist festivals. Wonderfully crafted, Hamilton has made a film of striking visual images, a story in which he finds a community where love, rather than competition, is the focus of the game. Hubert Davis

I'm excited for this one cause it's about chinlone which is a wickedly fun sport and cause I'm sure there will be some lovely scenery from Myanmar...

patio-d

TRIBE Member
Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos
(UK, USA, 2005, 97 min)

Directors: Paul Crowder , John Downer

It was 1977 and one of New York's most tumultuous and decadent summers. Then, in the midst of blackouts, riots, the Son of Sam serial killer scare and the dawn of Studio 54, came an entirely unexpected moment of inspiration: the rise of the New York Cosmos, North America's first great soccer team, and its larger-than-life superstar Pelé. Using a combination of nostalgic '70s soul and pop music, never-before-seen footage, exciting sports action, newsreels from the summer of '77 and candid interviews that range from Marv Albert to Henry Kissinger, from Mia Hamm to the colourful, clashing former Cosmos players themselves, Once in a Lifetime is an entertaining and richly layered look at a team and time that put soccer on the map in North America. World Cup 2006 fever starts here. Sean Farnel

patio-d

TRIBE Member
Beyond Beats: A Hip-Hop Head Weighs in on Manhood in Hip-Hop Culture
(USA, 2006, 62 min)

Directors: Byron Hurt

An ex-football star and hip-hop's truest fan, Byron Hunt appreciates the music but hates the message. The sexism, homophobia, materialism and violence at work in the lyrics and videos run completely counter to the principles of his work with young men as an educator on violence against women. Hunt takes a camera crew out to investigate the people and effects of the hyper-masculine, gay-hating, misogynistic "gangstahs" that populate the hip-hop scene. From BET's Spring-Bling in Daytona to the menacing corridors of the Bronx, Hunt traces the roots of the rap music that began as a war-cry against social oppression and racial discrimination to the "thug" anthems of a very profitable industry of black-on-black aggression. Interviews with Busta Rhymes, Jadakiss, Mos Def, Fat Joe and Chuck D. reveal tensions among the artists that both support and subvert stereotypes. Hunt's passion for the debate on the crisis of black masculinity and representation is palpable and stimulates one of the most under-explored issues facing youth culture today. Myrocia Watamaniuk

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

patio-d

TRIBE Member
SPECIAL PRESENTATION

The World According To Sesame Street
(USA, 2005, 104 min)

Directors: Linda Goldstein Knowlton , Linda Hawkins Costigan

When Sesame Street first aired in 1968 at the height of the civil rights era, the creators thought they had fashioned the quintessential American programme. To their astonishment, they were approached by German broadcasters to create a Teutonic version. Since then, Sesame Street has been "sweepin' the clouds away" for preschoolers the world over. Following production teams in Kosovo, Bangladesh and Capetown, this behind-the-scenes documentary explores the challenges of exporting an innovative children's programme to some of the world's most troubled regions. Surprising dynamics emerge as producers overcome social and political barriers to create culturally relevant themes and characters. In post-war Kosovo, Serb and Albanian producers rise above ethnic tensions to collaborate on a twin series. But when violence erupts on the streets, the production is placed in jeopardy. In post-apartheid South Africa, producers battle controversy to create the first-ever Muppet with AIDS. And in Bangladesh, political strife, curfews and flooding wreak havoc on production schedules. Directors Linda Goldstein Knowlton and Linda Hawkins keep the cameras rolling throughout, with fascinating results. Karen Tisch

i once went for an interview at hotdocs and the lady said i looked too young to be taken seriously "in the industry" so i got mad and stole her agenda and never returned.

to this day, i am still boycotting!

having said that, i'd wanna go see the sesame street one.

and that's actually a lie, i also saw this one about special needs men who sang in a choir. it was good.

but i will never forget the lady's mean comment. ever.

octo

TRIBE Member
Black Gold
(UK, 2006, 78 min)

Directors: Nick Francis , Marc Francis

As westerners indulge in designer lattes, starving coffee growers around the world suffer the bitter taste of injustice. In this eye-opening exposé, Marc and Nick Francis take us on a whirlwind tour through the $55-billion coffee industry. Despite the growing profits of coffee multinationals, prices paid to farmers have dropped to an all-time low. Nowhere is this more apparent than in Ethiopia, the birthplace of coffee, where 25 million coffee growers have lost their livelihood and the starving citizenry subsists on foreign food aid. It is here that fair trade advocate Tadesse Meskela represents 70,000 coffee farmers on the brink of bankruptcy. Circumventing the middleman, he personally travels to western capitals in the hope of brokering deals with socially conscientious coffee companies. His goal is to see Ethiopian growers share in the profits of this valuable trading commodity, second only to oil on the world market. The Francis brothers follow Meskela on his quest. Along the way, they meet coffee drinkers, growers, pickers, auctioneers, sellers, tasters and baristas, serving up a lively and provocative brew of high stakes and low equality. Karen Tisch

kyuss

TRIBE Member
I'm working at HOt DOCS this year! My internship runs it. Should be fun with an all express pass :)

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I've got tickets to this:

Wordplay
(USA, 2006, 90 min)

Directors: Patrick Creadon

Crossword fanatics go pencil to pencil at the 28th annual American Crossword Puzzle Tournament in this buoyant tribute to a favourite North American pastime. The championship is the brainchild of famed New York Times crossword editor Will Shortz. Known to crossword addicts as the gold standard in puzzles, the Times crossword has generated a cult-like following. Director Patrick Creadon goes behind-the-scenes to document the creation of a crossword as Shortz and his peers share the ups, downs and acrosses of their craft. Celebrity puzzleheads Bill Clinton, Jon Stewart, the Indigo Girls and Ken Burns reveal their own crossword compulsions. Back at the tournament, we meet the contenders as they gear up for battle: all-time champion Trip Payne who delivers a passionate ode to the letter Q; perennial nice guy runner-up Al Sanders; ex-champion Ellen Ripstein who waxes poetic about her surprise one-letter victory; and 20-year-old wunderkind fratboy Tyler Hinman. Creadon uses a clever graphic treatment that allows viewers to play along with the champs in this letter-perfect ode to the men and women who dare to do it in ink. Karen Tisch

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
patio-d said:
(USA, 2006, 62 min)

An ex-football star and hip-hop's truest fan, Byron Hunt appreciates the music but hates the message. The sexism, homophobia, materialism and violence at work in the lyrics and videos run completely counter to the principles of his work with young men as an educator on violence against women. Hunt takes a camera crew out to investigate the people and effects of the hyper-masculine, gay-hating, misogynistic "gangstahs" that populate the hip-hop scene. From BET's Spring-Bling in Daytona to the menacing corridors of the Bronx, Hunt traces the roots of the rap music that began as a war-cry against social oppression and racial discrimination to the "thug" anthems of a very profitable industry of black-on-black aggression. Interviews with Busta Rhymes, Jadakiss, Mos Def, Fat Joe and Chuck D. reveal tensions among the artists that both support and subvert stereotypes. Hunt's passion for the debate on the crisis of black masculinity and representation is palpable and stimulates one of the most under-explored issues facing youth culture today. Myrocia Watamaniuk
Pat...I wanna come peep this with you!

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
i've got a festival pass so i'm definitely on board for the hip hop one and the sesame street one.

gonna go check out the rest now...

Surfer Joe

TRIBE Member
I'm planning to buy a ticket to "An evening with Werner Herzog." Can't wait. Not only is he an amazing filmmaker, he also recently pulled Joaquin Phoenix from a car wreck AND survived a pellet gun shooting. I think he may be supernatural in some way. "My best fiend" is a great documentary about his volatile relationship with nutter genius actor Klaus Kinski. It's playing at Hot Docs on Friday, May 5.

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
patio-d said:
(USA, 2006, 62 min)

This and chinlone one sound really interesting.

dora

TRIBE Member
honestly... I need that one-sheet that comes out every year. It's taking me forever to go through the site. I really like reviews when it comes to picking for hot docs. I usually pick stuff I'm accustomed to or has an interesting description, but you miss a lot of great docs that way.

I would have never though Enron would be interesting, but when it screened last year in lieu of the original film, I was so pleasantly surprised. That's why I always save a few tickets for the repeat blocks, I figure those must be worthwhile to see.

KiX

TRIBE Member
patio-d said:
wordy nerdy!
I'm going to buy a ten-ticket pass and find 5 dates. you can be my 'good deed' date.
i want to go too. can i be your 'dirty deed' date?

=tina=

KiX

TRIBE Member
Fuck
(USA, 2006, 93 min)

Directors: Steve Anderson

The F-word is taboo, obscene, controversial and ubiquitous, permeating every aspect of our culture-it is the mother of all curse words. Director Steve Anderson takes us on a rollicking exploration of the word's origins, usages and cultural significance. He assembles a colourful cast of linguists, comedians, US politicians, newscasters and writers including Drew Carey, Bill Maher, Bill Connolly, Sam Donaldson, Kevin Smith, Steven Bochco, Ice T, Alanis Morissette, Michael Medved, Ron Jeremy, Judith "Miss Manners" Martin and Hunter S. Thompson in one of his last filmed appearances before his death. All weigh in on the F-word's place in our society with positions on its usage that range from "F*ck yeah" to "F*ck no." Wonderful archival footage of Lenny Bruce and other historical F-word moments accompany the interviews, as well as original animation by Bill Plympton. In a political climate currently debating freedom of speech in the US, F*ck is a balanced, informative and spirited examination of a word with a lot of history and a lot of power. Shannon Abel

patio-d

TRIBE Member
KiX said:
Fuck
(USA, 2006, 93 min)

Directors: Steve Anderson

The F-word is taboo, obscene, controversial and ubiquitous, permeating every aspect of our culture-it is the mother of all curse words. Director Steve Anderson takes us on a rollicking exploration of the word's origins, usages and cultural significance. He assembles a colourful cast of linguists, comedians, US politicians, newscasters and writers including Drew Carey, Bill Maher, Bill Connolly, Sam Donaldson, Kevin Smith, Steven Bochco, Ice T, Alanis Morissette, Michael Medved, Ron Jeremy, Judith "Miss Manners" Martin and Hunter S. Thompson in one of his last filmed appearances before his death. All weigh in on the F-word's place in our society with positions on its usage that range from "F*ck yeah" to "F*ck no." Wonderful archival footage of Lenny Bruce and other historical F-word moments accompany the interviews, as well as original animation by Bill Plympton. In a political climate currently debating freedom of speech in the US, F*ck is a balanced, informative and spirited examination of a word with a lot of history and a lot of power. Shannon Abel
:D Dirty Deeds!

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
there was a festival guid in the copy of now that I picked up this week.

So far I have tickets to the Beyond Beats: A hip hop head weighs in... and also to:

OilCrash
(Switzerland, 2006, 90 min)

Directors: Basil Gelpke , Ray McCormack, Reto Caduff

That sucking sound you hear is the last significant oil reserves being drawn from the earth. The very oil that makes our bloated, consumptive Western lifestyles possible is directly forcing our economic, industrial and environmental demise. In this well-constructed barrage of terrifying information and images, filmmakers Basil Gelpke and Ray McCormack chisel away at our denial of imminent global oil collapse. Energy experts and oil industry authorities, including George W. Bush's advisor, detail just how close to the bottom of the barrel we are. The world's supply has peaked, and the age of cheap and plentiful oil is over. "Ethnic" and "religious" wars attempt to shift control over dwindling supplies, but there are no new oil fields left to exploit. No amount of hydrogen or solar technologies can sustain consumption. Worse still, the 3.2 billion people of India, China and Africa that were not previously consuming significant volumes of oil are now rapidly expanding their economies on the western model. With equal parts reason and fear, this highly energetic exposé vividly illustrates our fossil fuel addiction and perhaps even more harrowingly, reveals how little we seem to care. Myrocia Watamaniuk

I'm also interested in seeing:

Black Gold (already described)

and

Our Daily Bread
(Austria, Germany, 2005, 92 min)

Directors: Nikolaus Geyrhalter

Critically acclaimed director Nikolaus Geyrhalter (Elsewhere, 2001; Pripyat, 1999) turns his keen analytical eye on the mechanization of food manufacture and high-tech farming in the western world. This evocative film takes us on a surreal journey into processing plants, fields and silos. This is a world of moving mechanical parts, flashing lights and clanging alarms where living things like people, animals and plants play a supporting role in the logistics of a larger system, a system that seemingly leaves little room for individuality. Geyrhalter studies the operations of this system; there are no interviews, no voice-over, and no indication of specific places, just the hypnotizing movements of machines whether in sterile warehouses or lush green landscapes. The result is a stunning and hypnotizing visual opus that will leave you questioning the ethics and appetites of the industrial food market. Shannon Abel

dora

TRIBE Member
OK, i've got 10 tix with my festival pass but I picked out 30 movies on my first pass - HELP! And my by has done the same thing, except most of them are completely different than mine.

I love and loathe this time of year... So many yummy movies, so little time.

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
In a Soldier's Footsteps
(Denmark, 2005, 89 min)

Directors: Mette Zeruneith

Steven Ndugga was 13 when he was conscripted into a paramilitary group in his native Uganda. Now 30, he is living as a political refugee in Denmark. Director Mette Zeruneith is preparing a documentary on Steven's past when a bizarre turn of events abruptly launches the film in a new direction. Steven receives word that his 10-year-old son, long presumed dead, is alive and serving as a boy soldier in the Ugandan army. Determined to liberate his son, Steven returns to his homeland only to be abducted by the military. But is he a terrorist, as the Ugandan state claims, or a victim caught up in a web of corruption? Determined to uncover the truth, the Danish crew travel to Uganda where they too become embroiled in political intrigue. Bristling against Ugandan officials who oppose the production, they are eventually granted a permit to film on the condition that they include the "official" Ugandan version of the truth. Action-packed and wrought with bone-chilling suspense, In a Soldier's Footsteps is a spellbinding tale of captivity and flight, secrets and lies.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I've got tickets to The World According to Sesame Street, Darkon, Wide Awake, Fuck, Shadow Company, Fatherland and Bombay Calling. Want to rush The Chances of the World Changing, Black Gold, Thin and the metal/rap docs.