1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

hot tub time machine > the hangover

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by bombthreat23, Mar 30, 2010.

1. bombthreat23

bombthreat23 TRIBE Member

there i said it...the laugh per minute quotient is FAR higher than the hangover, and I LOVED the hangover so that is saying something.

"it's so impossibly black"

keep an eye out for that line:)

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

somehow i dont believe you, and i havent see either.

[jai]

3. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

well it only looks alright, but I'll take your word for it.

4. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

I think it will have a lot of laughs for those who grew up during the 80s, which is a fair chunk of this board's membership.

I want to see it! But I think this is a renter.

5. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

John Cusack travels back to the 80s?

Is this a sequel to Grosse Point Blank?

6. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Everyone I know who's seen Hot Tub has loved it.

7. bombthreat23

Honestly, one of the best comedies I have seen.

8. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

It's in the 60% on rotten so it must be good.

9. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

it looks worse than good burger

10. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

i thought this movie looked absolutely awful from the trailers, but i've heard good things. which is exactly what happened when the hangover came out and i loved that movie. so now i kind of want to see it.

11. Thrill_House

Thrill_House TRIBE Promoter

Am I the only one that thought that The Hangover was a terrible movie? IMO Very bad things > The Hangover and that movie was made over 10 years ago. I am excited to see the hot tub however, i pretty much love all the movies of that comedic style ie: Super bad, Knocked up, etc.

12. trickynicky

trickynicky TRIBE Member

loved it!

13. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

The vulgarity seemed a little forced in this movie.

14. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

One might even think it scripted.....

15. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

When I first watched The Hangover I kind of felt the same way. It didn't live up to the hype. But I watched it for a second time and all of a sudden it was hilarious. I've never experienced this before, where a comedy suddenly redeems itself on a second viewing. Watch the Hangover again and you might see it differently.

Personally I thought Superbad was weak. And Knocked Up was terrible. But mostly because I hate Seth Rogan and Jonah Hill (although his new movie with Russel Brand looks hilarious).

16. Thrill_House

Ahh man your crazy I think Seth Rogen is hillarious but to each there own I guess, I will take your advice though and watch the Hangover again.

17. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

The funniest part of Hangover is the outtakes of Ken Jeong aka Mr Chow the Asian gangster. All of his lines in the movie were improv and the outtakes are amazing. On the DVD there's like 10mins straight of clips of him going nuts, about half of them are so funny that the two guys playing his bodyguards can't keep it together.

18. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Did you smoke Pot the first time?

Did you smoke Pot the second time?

19. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

Yes I do agree 100% but I'm not sure what 10 years ago has to do with anything. It's not like the comedy genre has seen any major improvements that would make a movie from 10 years ago suffer a disadvantage.

20. Thrill_House

This is true, I was just trying to reinforce my point is all. ;)

21. bombthreat23

very bad things started off great and finished weak.

22. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

I thought 'The Hangover' would be absolutely horrible and it surprised me. Certainly not amazing but entertaining. I wouldn't even compare it to 'Very Bad Things'. The themes are similar but both are completely different genres of comedy. You're comparing light and silly with dark comedy (apples and oranges).

Did you go in expecting it to be like 'Very Bad Things'? This might have influenced your perception.

23. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I have seen both - neither were insanely hilarious but yet both were very good disposable comedies. I tend to rate comedies by playback factor. Were they funny? Yes. Would I watch them again and find it even more hilarious? No.

I did think HTTM got funnier as it progressed.

24. bombthreat23

oh man, I think the re-watching on time machine would be VERY high...it was much more manic than the hangover, they jokes came so fast and furious.

25. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

As per my comment, I didn't think either of them were very re-watchable!