1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Hot Topic - The DJ Promoter

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by PAUZE, Aug 5, 2010.

1. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

The below quote was taken from an article inside "In The Mix", Australia. I thought I would share this on the forum to get some of Triber's ideas. There's a boatload of this crap happening in Toronto. Being booked to a club based on how many people you can bring as opposed to your talent. What ever happened to the promoter just doing their job of promoting?

Taken from: Is the ?promoter DJ? killing our club scene? on inthemix.com.au
  2. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

great topic.

this definitely will hit home with Toronto's EDM culture imho

my only input is i'd rather see a dj who has carved out their own unique style over the years at an under attended event rather than a packed dancefloor with a dj playing tracks from beatport's top 10. All about the music for me. Maybe thats why i rarely go out to EDM events in this city lately... :(
  3. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

I actually have dj's approach me and say "I can bring like 15 to 20 peeps to your event".

Who cares how many you can bring if you're just gonna clear the dancefloor anyhow?

I'm personally about talent, mixing skills. Show me your skills and I will book you. Be unique, find a genre that suits you. Don't just pick off the top 10 Tech-House Tunes, dig. Research your music/artists!
  4. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

This goes both ways

While I'll never be shelling out to see some wanky *top-40* techno DJ who otherwise is guaranteed to pack the place with guidos and overly made up broads etc....

I've also been to some shows (one promoted by my ex-girlfriend here) where, hey, the DJ-with-skills was throwing down a decent tech-house/minimal set, but there were only 30 people in attendance...
    and soooo....
    how many promoters can afford to flush 2-3 grand down the toilet on a regular basis?

Fact is, I've got several DJ/self-promoter types on facebook here (all good ones btw), and yeah, when it comes to their shows, they work the room with it. Which may come across as *spam* to some, but it gots to be done. Which is also why they get booked a lot. Club owners/promoters see them actively working their fan base, and therefore they are a low-risk bet.
  5. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

Beatports top 10 for all genres is usually bleh!
  6. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

True enough!
  7. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

This has been going on for years, TBH.
  8. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Something, something Techno, something something substance-over-style, quality over quantity but still have to pay the bills at the end of the night, something something mediocre clubs with middling soundsystems, etc, etc...

Let's just say that there's fickle, hype-today-gone-tomorrow, watered-down, mainstream club culture, and then there are the parties these partiers will never hear about. Chacun à son goût.
  9. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Obviously when taken to the extreme this is a very bad habit and should not be encouraged. However, I will say that when I used to promote, when given the choice between two *equally talented* local DJs, I would certainly be more likely to book the one who also helped me promote the event by spreading the news to their friends, sending an email to their "list" and asking their friends who wanted reduced etc.
  10. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

You should add ShaydaKiss here as a facebook friend! Boy, does that sweetie ever know how to work the room.
  11. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

This has been going on for years and it needs to stop. I remember when I used to get so excited to go out on Fridays and Saturday, even Wednesdays for that matter.

Now if I don't get to see John Doe play on Friday, I can catch him in several other locations Saturday or Sunday.

I feel that there's so much crud out there now, makes me sick when I see half these guys with Traktor throwing down and making it big. Give 'em a couple of vinyls and see where it gets them!
  12. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

This seems to be the rallying cry of aging DJ's. Who cares if new DJs can't spin vinyl. It's a dying technology.

How about we give a vinyl DJ one of these....

.. a bunch of these people....

... and see how that vinyl DJ does.
  13. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

There is no dying technology. Everything gets recycled.
    well, except for cassette tapes. Nobody really gives a shit about those anymore.
    But ya, listening to the *vinyl* vs *serrato/ableton/tractor* argument is one big boring pile.
    It's what you do with it. fuk
  14. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Sorry I always get carried away with that, indeed you are right.

And I am one of those whiny old dj's so what?
  15. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I think the biggest problem is the fact people still look for outside talent and don't support locals enough. Having promoted and now djing I'd rather not loose cash on booking someone who can't deliver, and the catch is if you book outside talent there is a huge risk of no return. On way to address this is by utilizing local support to build the crowd, this is where the local dj has now turned into the promoter as well.

I can't wait for the day people go out to party again instead of going to hear the dj, on the plus side I have seen a slow change to smaller events and more local talent, hopefully people will remember to support these nights and most importantly have fun
  16. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

I think thats the biggest problem today, is lack of fun. I miss the 90's sigh.
  17. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

was this not christine's process when booking the back room at system?
  18. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

This, except...

19. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Like that Richie Hawtin guy! What a hack.
  20. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

the problem for me is that because the market is so saturated you kinda have to do it all yourself just to get a gig: the promo, hustlin', booking etc...and at the end of the day I don't want to be a promoter/talent mgmt agency. I want to create, party, and dance. All this other *stuff* takes time and energy away from indulging in the passion of creation.

my 2cents
  21. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Part of what made me step back from DJing and putting on nights was the need to always be grinding to get people through the door. It often became more like a shit job than an enjoyable hobby/passion.
  22. slim charles

slim charles TRIBE Member

blah blah blah blah

Times change and any business that wants to remain viable must change with them. People holding on to the good 'ol days need to let go. Do I agree with the notion of hiring a less-than-talented-dj who brings 50 people to a night over an experienced dj with less 'clout'? I can go both ways, but for the sake of choosing a side, I will side with the former.

Nobody cares that you learned how to mix on belt driven turntables and nobody cares that you used to rock the room at *insert club/rave here*. It's 2010 and technology has caught up to the dj and people are making use of it. I agree that one should really understand the basics of mixing in order to call themselves a dj but this new generation of punters generally don't care about flawless mixing or crate digging or what-have-you.

It's a different time catering to a different generation who has access to unlimited music online. Them understanding going to Play De or Traxx on Thursday afternoons and waiting for a limited pressing is one they'll just never get. I disagree that promoters/dj's become the norm as opposed to the exception however it appears that for the time being, this is the way it is in many cities.

Adapt or move on.
  23. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I think everyone is getting a bit off-topic.

The argument here is "Skill vs Hype".

Sure, if I was a promoter and a DJ with decent floor packing skill brought 100 people as compared to someone with the same skill that couldn't, I would book the former.

The argument starts when people with little to no skill getting gigs based on the size of their friends list over those who have more ability but can't generate numbers as high.

Just because they know more people doesn't make them better. Except in a club owners eyes.

But who's to guarnantee those people the "Hype" DJ brings out will even drink or stick around after their friends set? Nothing.

It's all a risk and you have to roll with the punches.
  24. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Great point. After all my promotion shiz I'm destroyed and don't even feel like going out to mingle, fek.
  25. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Can we blame the crash of the rave scene back in the day?

I guess we can't get back to the previous way if peeps arent coming through the door eh? If the skilled aren't bringing in shit and the shit aren't bringing in shit.

And I am adapting to the times, but feel really fake doing so. Trying coax people to come out and see me play every week. When times were good, people were coming out to see a promotion company, not only individual djs playing.

And the other thing is, what is the promoter doing these days? Shouldn't their title be changed to financier instead of promoter?