1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

hope

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kuba, Aug 28, 2003.

1. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

what are your thoughts on hoping for something- be it a job, a girl, a boy, anything.

do you think that hoping for something is a form of mental torture?

I know a lot will be read INTO what I just wrote- don't bother.

Im asking cuz I know i've hoped for things before, and some have come to fruition and others havent... maybe hoping isnt such a good thing!

2. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Hoping is like putting all your positive energy into something.

There is no harm in hoping... just dont fool yourself into thinking if you want it so bad.. .that it WILL come to fruition.

It's all about Positive energy

3. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

nothin' wrong with a little hope. :)

4. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Nothing wrong with hoping. We use it in conversation all the time, even if you're not expecting divine intervention.

"I hope it doens't rain tomorrow."

"I hope the test is easy."

"I hope my car doesn't get broken into."

"I hope your crabs go away soon."

5. DaftPunky

DaftPunky TRIBE Member

Hope is good, as long as you don't let it take over. When one finds themselves hoping too much for something/someone, the impact of any possible disappointment will become more severe.

What a fucking cynic I am.

6. deep

deep TRIBE Member

A realization I had not too long ago is that hope is the last thing within us that makes us human. It's that which makes us more than just alive but living. When that hope disintegrates inside a person, there isn't anything left to them. Look at psychological disorders like depression, anxiety, etc. Suicide. Think about what self esteem is (hope in the self). Look at the disillusioned and jaded who never see or feel love from others. Look at those who fail in competitive circumstances. Look historically at people who have had their will broken by oppression. Look at the breakdown of families or friendships, how losses of faith in the good of each other characterize the permanent rifts that develop. All of these instances, hope is the last thing to go before things become inevitably ruined.

Fight the hardest you can to prevent hope being taken away from you, it literally is the thing without which life becomes pointless and empty.

imho.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  7. tablist

tablist TRIBE Member

I hope to take over the world. I also hope that it's not too difficult.

8. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Hopes and expectations are different.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

9. deep

deep TRIBE Member

It bears mentioning though that hope without equal action is useless and usually destructive. This is usually what the situation is when people end up getting all jaded, hating themselves for hoping - failing to recognize how they may not have channelled that hope and desire into tangible actions that move them closer to their goals. It's one thing to want something, it's another thing to want it badly enough to do whatever necessary to attain it.

10. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Tao of Nick.

Hope for the Best... Expect the worst.
    That way you can never be disapointed... only surprised.

And surprises are good.

11. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

Hope is misguided if you don't put in the effort to make the things that you hope for happen.

Don't hope for a raise without having worked for it. Don't hope to lose weight without working for it. Too many people hope for things that they don't realize are under their control, and then gripe when they are disappointed.

12. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

Hope...the last thing in Pandora's Box

Deep, your post is well put and thoughtful.

Hope is difficult to reconstruct within the self.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  13. Alita

Alita TRIBE Member

Hope is for the hopeless

...I'm pretty sure my Mom told me that once.

The way I see it - do it, get it, have it...yada yah...or don't. No sense is wasting your energy hoping, when you could be doing.

I can see how hope can give people *something* though...it's just not my *something*

:)

14. noodle

noodle TRIBE Member

I hope and pray that I get this job I'm interviewing for next week...my career and bank account soooo needs it.

I could quit my second job....oh how I hope.

15. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

Hope. Let me tell you something my friend, hope is a dangerous thing. It can drive a man insane. It's got no use on the inside. Better get used to the idea.

:D

16. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

this post completely goes against what deep thinks/says.

its never that easy to just "do it, get it , have it".

you mean to tell me youve never hoped for something that isn't within your grasp, something you just can't GET, but something you want sooner or later? I doubt it. And if you haven't then you haven't lived.

17. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

hope is a good thing
    maybe the best thing
    and no good thing ever dies

(in response)

seriously, that movie is fucking amazing.

18. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

I think they're trying to say.

Don't sit around hoping for the best.

Go out and do your best.
    And that'll be the best you can do.

Instead of sitting around hoping for better?

19. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

*sniff* *tear*
    One of my favourites!

20. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

My question is what is the difference between hope and desire for things? Is it the same?

I agree that hope is very important in life. I think everyone motivates themselves by envisioning a better life or just looking forward to the weekend.

I realized that I daydream about good things I am planning, like camping trips and so on, then when I'm in the moment I enjoy it less than all of my fantasizing. It's that hope or expectation of the future that makes life worthwhile.

I think that's why ppl who have "perfect" lives always need to try new things or they'll get destructive and unhappy.

21. Alita

Alita TRIBE Member

Actually in my life, I have pretty much always gotten what I wanted....and if I didn't, then what I got instead turned out to be better....obviously most of those things took time and work though. Shit if I have ever "hoped" I would have already had an idea about how things would turn out. But it's definetly not something I would think about.

So yeah, maybe I'm lucky or maybe I "haven't experienced life"....or maybe it's all about persepctive. Anyways - I'm not complaining.

22. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

Hope is more than just wanting something.

I don't know how to explain it, it just is.

23. Alita

Alita TRIBE Member

^^^

faith you mean?

24. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

along the same lines as faith, in that you don't need anything to exsist in order to have it, but faith is different.

I don't have faith, I have hope.

25. diego

diego TRIBE Member

I think HOPE is a real powerful thing. I honestly believe that the more people to show hope for something the more likely it is to happen.

stupid example: in '93 Joe carter had awhole nation hoping that he would jack that ball outta the park.

like I said stupid example but first to come to mind. I think hope is one of those powers we have and share but are not fully aware of it's great power and potential.