• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hooking up cable... when there is no cable...

acheron

TRIBE Member
Ok... considering cable internet (teksavvy) ... we are on Bell's ExpressVu for teevee and have never had Rogers Cable ourselves, although the people who owned our house previously seem to have... Looking outside, there is a line from the pole out back to the house, and where it connects to the house, there is a rusty old splitter and the line to the house jack has been severed and tied off with a red tab. There is no "Rogers Grey Box" attached to the house.

Talking to TekSavvy, they just need the line to the house... but is that grey box necessary? Wtf. I can go to The Source or Active and get a splitter and some nice RG-6 to run to a cable modem... would that be enough?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
is that grey box necessary? Wtf. I can go to The Source or Active and get a splitter and some nice RG-6 to run to a cable modem... would that be enough?

These are all questions you should be asking Teksavvy.

I used to work for Shaw and one of the worst things ever was when you got a customer who bought all their lines/splitters from Wal-Mart/The Source.

That shit is seriously shit compared to the stuff Rogers/Shaw/Teksavvy have.

acheron

TRIBE Member
well teksavvy is not a hardware provider/installer - they ride on Rogers or Shaw's hardware as a wholesaler. There is some existing Rogers hardware onsite but I will need to be the guy doing any hooking up as I highly doubt I can call up Rogers and ask them to fix up the cable connection on my house if I am not contracting with them for internet.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
In that case, see if you can pick up the cabling/splitters from Rogers themselves.

I know Shaw does that and if you need less than 20 feet, it's usually free...but it's only like 5 cents a foot after that.

Not sure how/if Rogers does that though.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
I have Teksavvy DSL already. Teksavvy Cable is supposed to be faster, yes?

I'm convinced that Bell (upon whose lines teksavvy's DSL rides) is traffic shaping my usenet downloads. Rogers on the other hand doesn't traffic shape its wholesale service.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I used to be getting 500k/sec plus around here for the past few years, it's dropped to 325k since the whole UBB thing started. I'm convinced there's some Bell fuckery going on. Either way getting cable will improve matters on the Speed Boost tip alone.

lobo

TRIBE Member
What exactly is this speedboost thing from Rogers? From the ads and commercials it just seems like it would let you use your full bandwidth vs traffic shaping you. If you have a 10M connection from them, could this speedboost give you 15M of say youtube during times when the bandwidth is available on their network?

Lobo

acheron

TRIBE Member
it's only the first few seconds of a connection - so it can make a big difference if you're grabbing a big image or a pdf file, say 1-3 megs or so. then it goes back to normal.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
I'm on Teksavvy DSL and haven't noticed a change in speed - but I also haven't clocked it in ages, so I don't have any data to back up that claim.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
What exactly is this speedboost thing from Rogers? From the ads and commercials it just seems like it would let you use your full bandwidth vs traffic shaping you. If you have a 10M connection from them, could this speedboost give you 15M of say youtube during times when the bandwidth is available on their network?

Lobo

Yeah, it pretty much just opens your connection to max for the first part of your download (unsure if it's time or data based) then drops you back to the package you pay for.

stanimal

TRIBE Member
well teksavvy is not a hardware provider/installer - they ride on Rogers or Shaw's hardware as a wholesaler. There is some existing Rogers hardware onsite but I will need to be the guy doing any hooking up as I highly doubt I can call up Rogers and ask them to fix up the cable connection on my house if I am not contracting with them for internet.

If you sign up for Teksavvy cable, then as part of the install fee, the Roger's guy (on behalf of Teksavvy) will, among other things, come and run a proper cable line to your home if needed.