1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Honour Killings - should we just stop using it, or start using the term properly?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by praktik, May 4, 2010.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Often we hear of "honour killings" in far off lands some decades or centuries back in development.

But I got to thinking - if a girlfriend is caught cheating and is murdered by her husband or boyfriend in Canada, is that not also an honour killing?

And if it is, then why don't we see it said that way in reference to killings here in North America?

Half of all women murdered (on average) are killed by husbands or boyfriends in America - thats thousands a year.

So I say we should start applying the term here when it makes sense - or just not use it at all anymore. Its either making us seem more saintly than we are because of its selective use, or its pejorative and singling out tribal codes for something that is not really unique to places governed by tribal law.

2. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

honour killings are a religious and cultural thing, are they not?
    If I cheat on my man, and he goes and kills me, its not cause I have shamed his religion and family, its cause hes fucking pissed and hates me and cant control his temper.
    kinda different.
    and alot of the time in honour its the girls family that kills her, peoples families generally dont kill them for cheating on their spouse, thats a cultural religious thing.
    half of all women in america murdered by husbands/boyfriends, were not murdered cause they cheated, but because their boyfriend was an abusive psycho.
    therefore, the term can only be used for people that have these beliefs and cultures.

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

*hug*

this just made me smile.

[jai]

4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

But I would argue the shame of being cheated on is a major motivating factor in those cases. The man worries about the slight to his manhood, the male honour code - so it is more individual, but in many cases it is done because of a perceived injustice to one's honour, and is therefore an "honour killing".

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Perhaps the place you'll see this kind of thing most often is in gangland, where generally speaking there is a strong honour code observed in the community. Those might be the most close examples to tribal areas of say, Pakistan.

6. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

no.

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

you're wrong.

So there.

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I guess you missed the memo, here is a copy for your records:

MEMO:

DG IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

9. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

for real?

has nothing to do with honor cheech, it has to do with being crazy

10. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

This is one of the funniest, yet simplest replies I have read in Tribe. I need to use this line. Keeper simple I guess.

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Damn... you cut me to my core DG

12. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

13. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

honour killing in the way the term is used at least in north america is distinct from spousal abuse.

you seem to be attempting to draw an equivalency b/w 2 behaviours that doesnt exist sufficiently to group them together. besides theres ample evidence of spousal abuse around the world but certian regions are known to be hotbeds for honour killings in the way people have described: premeditated murder very often with complicity by several family members.

there is something particularly diabolical when one's own family conspires to murder their own and there are a host of organizations and womens groups throughout north america and in regions like india and pakistan that are seeking protection for women facing this threat, i dont believe they would draw a similar line b/w the 2 behaviours though both are equally appalling. the difference is that a family should interfere and protect their children from abuse at the hands of a spouse, not facilitate.