• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Home computer recommendations?

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
I’m looking at either building or buying a new desktop computer. I need a P4 of at least 2.0 GHz with 512MB DDR RAM and a very fast video card. Also need recommendations on a monitor. Preferably a LCD with at least 1280 X 1024 resolution.
Please help me out with either a place in Toronto that has a good deal on a complete system or components I can buy to build the system.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Jennika

TRIBE Member
don't build unless you know how to do it yourself really well,

I really regret having a friend build mine last winter.

at the time it seemed like a good idea but the price savings wern't that much when it all added up when I compared it with a Dell-type system. As well my components don't seem to be recognizing properly, my OS has been wonky and it's all been a real hassle. Plus maybe it's just me but I feel like a real pain in the ass asking friends for help on this so I end up just dealing :(

I would buy something that's put together and working and where you have the option of tech support that runs beyond calling your friends.

but that's just my experience

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
No Jennika, building is the best ;)

Just you had someone do it wrong :D

I love researching parts and putting them all together in the end.

pr0nstar

Stan

TRIBE Member
No, she's right. Building your own is good if you know what you're doing, or you have someone who knows their shit do it for you. Otherwise, you're better off going with Dell. Or if you're *really* clueless, get an Apple. :)

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
The only way building goes wrong IMO.
Is when you buy this and that of what you want.

But then you cut corners on important things, not knowing completely.

Like buying a cheap PowerSupply or RAM, etc...

IMO when buying...

Most important parts to go all out are Mobo, PowerSupply, Video Card and a good HardDrive... and honestly like I said, never cut corners to save $20 here and there...

pr0nstar

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jennika
don't build unless you know how to do it yourself really well,

I really regret having a friend build mine last winter.

at the time it seemed like a good idea but the price savings wern't that much when it all added up when I compared it with a Dell-type system. As well my components don't seem to be recognizing properly, my OS has been wonky and it's all been a real hassle. Plus maybe it's just me but I feel like a real pain in the ass asking friends for help on this so I end up just dealing :(

I would buy something that's put together and working and where you have the option of tech support that runs beyond calling your friends.

but that's just my experience
This is something that many of us DIY'rs totally forget. Often it takes me a couple of tries to get the install just right on customn built boxes. Additionally its not like you can just call technical support.

I try to use the following rule when I make the suggestion for build over buy. If you have taken your computer apart in the last month, you can use a custom built system. If you have re-installed your OS without anyones help in the last few months you can use a custom built.

If your a plug in and go kind of person I suggest buying a brand name with technical support. Something that when it breaks you can bring it in and have the damn thing fixed for you.

Being a hardware geek sometimes makes us blind to how much more work it can be!

depraved

TRIBE Member
Any recommendations as to MoBo's for a DAW (for live and studio apps)? Are Seagate Barracuda HDs the gold standard, or are there others as quiet & fast for less? Are slower seek times for laptops HD's a problem for live apps (e.g. Ableton Live!)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
The only way building goes wrong IMO.
Is when you buy this and that of what you want.

But then you cut corners on important things, not knowing completely.

Like buying a cheap PowerSupply or RAM, etc...

IMO when buying...

Most important parts to go all out are Mobo, PowerSupply, Video Card and a good HardDrive... and honestly like I said, never cut corners to save $20 here and there...

pr0nstar
Can't argue with you on any of the points you made. But I think in the end there are people who really are end users of a system. To them installing driver update packs isn't going to happen. For them a technical support number is better than calling up there friends or checking the knowledge base.

Same I would never buy an all in one mother board or a 5400 rpm drive. My buddy Mike on the other hand wants a machine as cheap as possible with as few add on cards as possible. He surfs the net and plays MAME games for the most part. In his case the extra cost savings are well worth it.

As always it depends on your needs! If your building to reduce costs than I think your starting with the wrong reason and you'll most likely regret it.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Hey, I would of never bought an "all-in-one" mobo, until I bought this ASUS A7N8X-E Mobo, it's got onboard Dolby Digital, 10/100 NIC and Gigabit Ethernet ... as for ones with Video, never being the gamer I am.

But like I said, I did/do a lot of research on components that make up the PCs I build. Don't just buy the biggest/best.. hell I only have a 2500XP+ CPU still, but I know I can upgrade when I wish...

As for saving a few bucks, it all depends, I've done that once with a Mobo... and in the end, after ~9 months it died on me, for no reason at all, not a big deal, got it replaced, but I never will cut corners again on Mobos.. ;)

And I guess so, as you said about updated drivers, etc... but anyone owning a computer should know how to do this ;)
But then again I think a lot of people shouldn't own a computer :D

pr0nstar

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
No Jennika, building is the best ;)

Just you had someone do it wrong :D

I love researching parts and putting them all together in the end.

pr0nstar
I see you know a lot about PC's and it is a part of your job.
What would suggest from your research for a good motherboard and video card?

juice

TRIBE Member
I'm in the market for a new system right now as well. Looking to spend about 2k or so. I've found it best to grab "HUB" which from what I gather is the combination of what "The Computer Paper" and "Toronto Computes" was. It's free in a number of computer stores and roadside newspaper boxes. It lists a whole bunch of stores and it makes it nice and easy to compare specs and prices amongst stores.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by T_Dot_House
What would suggest from your research for a good motherboard and video card?
All depends on what CPU.. Intel / AMD
Also what do you want to spend on the Video card ;) And what exactly is the plans for the system.

pr0nstar

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by T_Dot_House
And my knowledge of building PCs and what not, doesn't come from my job ;)

We order DELLs and other Clones at work, that I have no input on.

I've been building my own PCs and screwing around online for over 10 years, so that's where I get it from.

Also if you're looking for suggestions sometimes, I check-out HardOCP Forums and MadOnion Forums, but they changed their name and can't remember right now.

pr0nstar :D

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
MDG all the way. They are cheap, and the quality is the best. Better than a Dell, that is for sure. At least that is what Kenny told me.

Cheers ... Ian :)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Hey, I would of never bought an "all-in-one" mobo, until I bought this ASUS A7N8X-E Mobo, it's got onboard Dolby Digital, 10/100 NIC and Gigabit Ethernet ... as for ones with Video, never being the gamer I am.

But like I said, I did/do a lot of research on components that make up the PCs I build. Don't just buy the biggest/best.. hell I only have a 2500XP+ CPU still, but I know I can upgrade when I wish...

funny thats almost the exact system I'm about to start building. Specifically the barton core 2500, there is a toss up between the ASUS and another board but currently the ASUS is winning.

Now I need to find an UW 160 Scsi card, I have a couple of 10000 rpm 9 gig scsi drives that are going to finish off the system along with a couple of nice OCZ sticks.

Stan

TRIBE Member
HardOCP sux. I usually go to the Anandtech.com or ArsTechnica.com forums. I find the users there much more mature and helpful.

MadOnion is now called Futuremark.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream
MDG all the way. They are cheap, and the quality is the best. Better than a Dell, that is for sure. At least that is what Kenny told me.
LOL. And they have the BEST ADS EVAR.

Do you really want a clone?