1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Home Beautification and Home Renovation

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by JESuX, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

LF: high backed sofa recommendations. Fabric (so, not leather). So far have done the Bay and Johnson's on Dupont...

2. Bernnie Federko

Another flooring question:

Upstairs is 3 bedrooms and then the common hallway. Is it odd/weird to have the floor transition at each of doorways if needed in order to suit the layout/direction of the bedrooms?

3. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

are you talking teh flooring changing at each doorway? or height transition? never actually been upstairs at your spot

4. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Depending on the layout, I generally install down the longest run and then start a reverse course to marry up at each door - so it all flows together. Having said that, some layouts are better suited to switching directions, in which case a transition is used across the door opening where the change occurs.

It’s really a question of personal taste, I suppose. ...but a transition -free flow is generally nicer, IMO. It’s a bit trickier to install that way but worth it, if it suits your floor plan. My only pet-peeve is when people DIY or hire a hack that uses raised transitions in the latter option. A floor should be flat and free of impedance.

5. Bernnie Federko

I'll up a pic from the drawings so we are all referencing from more of the same place...

6. Bernnie Federko

Below is the floor plan. If It's given that the hallway floorboards will run north/south, then the question is should it continue that way in some/all the bedrooms.

My initial take is:
    Master: floor transitions from the hallway and runs east/west (perpendicular to the window, but flows with the direction of the bed on the west wall)
    Middle: floor runs north/south (again perpendicular to the window, but flows with the bed direction and the eye when one opens the bedroom door)
    Front: east/west, flowing with the bed direction/placement)

Thoughts encouraged...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  7. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Run everyhting North/South

Mondieu likes this.
  8. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Based on that layout... 100%. ;)

9. Bernnie Federko

10. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

don't forget to throw our next match as payment

11. Bernnie Federko

I'm already throwing my matchup this week so I can setup your first round loss to me in April...

12. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Speaking of floors...

A good friend and colleague of mine just finished this beauty. I often do flooring installs as part of larger projects but when I sub-out, I always use Ian @ Down With Floors. A proper dude and fine craftsman.

Not sanded yet and will post a pic of the final result. Full glory job. Thought it was worth sharing.

[​IMG]

13. Martha Bern

Martha Bern New Member

I really like this photo and the way the floors are made. I'm sure, they will look even more appealing, when they are sanded. Mondieu, will you publish the photo of the ready made floors here?

14. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

Martha get out while you still can!

15. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Pay no attention to him, Martha. You seem sane...you'll do just fine on here.

16. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

The only thing JamesM's ever beautified and renovated was his vomitus bucket at the side of his bed.

17. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

What happened to the part of his post where he called Tribe a "clusterfuck"? I was going to comment that that is pretty just him.

Bernnie Federko likes this.
  18. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

You bet! I asked him to send some over. Will post as soon as I get them. Welcome to Tribe! :)

19. Bernnie Federko

Woohoo!

[​IMG]

Mondieu likes this.
  20. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member