• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Home Beautification and Home Renovation

Special K

TRIBE Member
If you need it for a tear-down you are looking at

$3500+

- Design and draft a grading plan (this goes to the architect, and you'll need it for the building permit) --- $2500
- Final grading certificate, final as built survey etc etc --- $1000

Forestry

Trying to surf the challenging environment of quotes for kitchens. Can anyone tell me what is good quality in cabinet making and what questions I should be asking the cabinet makers?
If anyone have custom cabinets can you sent photo and link?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Preliminary rough/walk-in estimate is ~200/sq foot for labour and materials to demo the roof and main floor, then knock out the back yard wall, put in a wall of walk out windows/doors, new stairs from the kitchen to the basement, new kitchen, new powder room, new main floor, move the front door, then go up by adding a 2nd story with 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom. Second story will cantilever over back yard 2 feet.

Architect was 10k.

Still waiting for the city to approve.

We'll see how things progress.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Going through contractor hell right now with job on our house. Signed a contract to update main floor and finish basement. Job is almost finished (just waiting for custom kitchen install and bathroom tile work), and GC tells me in the back and forth during negotiations he forgot to add a couple items into the quote (knocking down of a brick wall and re-flooring main floor), and hands me an invoice for $14,000. says he apologizes about the mix up, but can't float the rest of the work needed to finish until we "figure out" how we're going to settle new amounts.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Hello Tribe

I need your input

I live in a semi-detached in the east end. My attached neighbor approached me about their home renovation. They are blowing out the back of their house and going down and up (basement to second floor) and it will be the width of the house. Essentially they are putting an extension on the back.

My neighbor has informed me that they need to go into my back yard about 5 feet for foundation work. SO, the mutual fence will be ripped out and half of my deck so they can complete their foundation work and the stairs to my basement.

I don't have issue with their renovations or proposed plans. but I do have issue wit the amount of work they need to do on our property. He is going to replace the fence when they are done, but what about my foundation, deck, stairs ect..... what happens if their work impacts my house and it shifts, or cracks? I'm assuming I need some type of legal opinion and something in writing in the event it goes wrong. Anyone been on the other side of the fence on this? If so, what do you suggest?

Thanks

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
^ If you choose to say yes to the neighbour, which you are not obligated to do, then you should require him/her to pay for you to get legal advice. You should have a lawyer prepare a Temporary Easement Agreement, to allow the neighbour to access your property for this limited purpose. The agreement would include your neighbour's indemnity in your favour in case there are any damages (and it should be worded so that you have the right to determine, acting reasonably, whether damages have been caused), the requirement for your neighbour's insurance to cover you, etc. You should also insert a provision stating that the neighbour will similarly give you a temporary easement, at no cost, if you should ever request it (although such an agreement would only bind the current owner of the property).

You should see a real estate lawyer for this, but probably not a real estate lawyer that does only residential work. I would suggest you see a commercial real estate lawyer at a smaller firm (I could give you a referral if you require). Don't skimp on the legal advice, and make sure your neighbour pays for all of it. My best guess is that the legal advice would be $1,500-3,000 for something like this.

If the neighbour's work will inconvenience you for an extended period, you could also request a fee for your inconvenience. You are not under any obligation to assist his/her renovation, so you hold the cards.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm getting quotes for drywall in my family room.
I had a contractor come over and later provide a quote which was a list of the work done and a subtotal price without a breakdown
the price looks like he doesn't want to do the work but if I agree to his price it will be worth his time, so I asked him for a detailed breakdown. his response was they provide a detailed breakdown after I agree to use them.

he's quoting me $2.88/sqft +tax to drywall, tape and mud (the room is gutted) but have a good idea how much materials would be but his quote doesn't pass the 40/60 rule
40% of the job is materials the rest is labour

so I wrote back to him and said I'd be in touch if I selected him for the job. then he wrote back saying I have to understand that good work costs more and because it's a small job blah blah blah as the reason for the higher price.

why is this a common practice? why come out and quote the job if you're just going to put a number on paper?

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I always provide a reasonable task breakdown when quoting. It educates the customer and justifies the price. Fixed price based on square footage is ok for new construction but when it's a retrofit, all bets are off. My quotes are so detailed, the side-notes and "except where" content often eclipses the scope itself.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Is Sound Attenuation (sound proofing) rated insulation worth it?

Quote came in for our renovation and it added an additional 30% to the insulation estimate...

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Quick, rough walkthrough. Just finished this beauty flooring project with a colleague. Designer wanted the bevel sanded out. Convinced the clients to keep it. That doesn’t always happen. ;)

Lovely 2.5”, unfinished, random length red oak. Properly installed. I dig.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Is Sound Attenuation (sound proofing) rated insulation worth it?

Quote came in for our renovation and it added an additional 30% to the insulation estimate...
If you’re in a semi-detached home and can presently hear your neighbours, SA insulation may not be sufficient. Have you consulted an appropriate engineer?

If you’re overly concerned about noise via parting wall, I can’t stress how important this is.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
If you’re in a semi-detached home and can presently hear your neighbours, SA insulation may not be sufficient. Have you consulted an appropriate engineer?

If you’re overly concerned about noise via parting wall, I can’t stress how important this is.
I did our master in addition to the washrooms. We're in a detached...

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I did our master in addition to the washrooms. We're in a detached...
None of the foreseeable problems are at play then. SA batting is great for exterior walls and ceilings - provided the rest of the envelope warrants it. Doors and windows are equally important from a sound perspective. Even the proper insulation of all plumbing and electrical fixtures and controls can play a roll.