• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Home Beautification and Home Renovation

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Tribe I need your help.

About 8 years ago when we purchased our house we had to get electrical done as there was nob and tube. We paid almost $15000 for the work and the inspector signed off on the work and we had to bridge our home insurance while it was done.

We are now in the process of gutting our main floor and the contractors electrician has found live nob and tube in the areas they said they removed it. We found our receipt and certificate that shows the work was done and signed off by the inspector.

What if any recourse do we have? I don't think there is any real cost benefit to us pursuing this but I would appreciate any insight you may have.
its the inspectors ass if your house burns down from wiring after he passed it. you can only go after the electrician really, the inspector probably would get a fine/suspension for not doing a proper full inspection. did you contract the electrician to do a full tear out in the whole house? hit me up with a pm so i can get more details

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member

just scored this for my backyard.
15 feet wide, and almost 5 feet deep.
pump, cover, all accessories.
FOR FREE.
dismantle it over the next week, transport it to my garage for storage over the winter, and assemble and install first thaw of spring.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
does anyone know of a good stained glass repair shop in TO? I've searched google, but if anyone has a recommendation it would be great.

House is almost done! Pics coming soon.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
There is a place on the South side of Queen east between Berkely and Ontario... They have been there for years sorry I do not know the name... Google street view may help...

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Looking to do some major renos next year and compiling a list of contractors. Too lazy to go digging through this thread. Please send me any recommendations you have.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
just got some home renos done, pot lights put in. The dude says I should have LED lights = way better so he replaced the incandescent bulbs and put some in the pot lights.

The wife and I are not thrilled about the colour of the light. Feels blue and cold. Casts weird shadows, like an office feel.

The box says 2700 - 3000k warm white. I have been doing some reading. 3000k is bright white. 2700k is suppose to mimic incandescent bulbs. Im going back to the depot to try and find 2500k bulbs.

What have you tried? Any brand reproduce the yellow warm feel of incandescent bulbs?

thanks

greginhali

TRIBE Member
What style of bulb do they take?

I've used a bunch of these ones with good results.

https://www.lowes.ca/led-light-bulbs/sylvania-12-watt-60w-equivalent-a19-medium-soft-white-led-bulb-energy-star_g1436483.html

And if you get the save on energy coupons you can get them pretty cheaply.

Pot lights with the screw in bulb. 3000k I have these ones installed

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.led-6w--50w-par20-bright-white-3000k---case-of-4-bulbs.1000681184.html

I cant find 2700k for pot lights. The lowest I can find is 3000k.

any suggestions?

lobo

TRIBE Member
greginhali, you're in the same boat as I was.

Home Depot doesn't seem to have many (any?) 2700K temp bulbs that screw in for that size. I ended up buying some E26 to GU10 adapters and purchased 2700K GU10 LED bulbs at HD instead. The pot light housing is just tall enough to have both inside.

This is the adapter I bought:

ED-01 Medium E26 to GU10 Adapter

Lobo

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
It's too soon to go to bed and I'm bored so I googled. According to the Home Depot website, these bulbs (LED 6W = 50W PAR20 Soft White (2700K) -
Model: 458919 | Store SKU: 1000837545) are only sold in-store.

Leaside: 81 in stock

Curity: 5 in stock

Gerrard Square: 20 in stock

Scarborough: 27 in stock

Yorkdale: 39 in stock

Stockyards: 11 in stock

And the motherlode... Caledonia has 201 in stock!!

Hope this helps! :)

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Ok. I have tried several different bulbs but nothing works.

Philips Model # 457069 Internet # 206341869 Store SKU # 1001517237 LED 6W = 45W R20 Warm Glow (2700K - 2200K).

Philips 65W Equivalent Soft White BR30 Dimmable LED Warm Glow Effect Light Bulb (E)*-457069 - The Home Depot

I like the Warm glow but the bulb doesnt fit inside my potlight.

Philips Model # 458919 | Store SKU # 1000837545 LED 6W = 50W PAR20 Soft White (2700K)
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.led-6w--50w-par20-soft-white-2700k.1000837545.html

Fit inside my potlights but do not have the warm glow feature.
Why doesnt phillips make a small bulb with the screw in adaptor & has the warm glow feature. Seems like a no brainer.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
greginhali, you're in the same boat as I was.

Home Depot doesn't seem to have many (any?) 2700K temp bulbs that screw in for that size. I ended up buying some E26 to GU10 adapters and purchased 2700K GU10 LED bulbs at HD instead. The pot light housing is just tall enough to have both inside.

This is the adapter I bought:

ED-01 Medium E26 to GU10 Adapter

Lobo
Thanks for this. It looks like a good solution. Is there any heat transfer issuses between the adapter and the bulb? Did you order them through this site? or does the any of the big box stores sell the adapters as well?

It really does seem to be the wild west when it comes to LED lights. Every company doing their own thing.

lobo

TRIBE Member
greginhali, I ordered the adapters online and went to the place to pick them up. It's one of those small LED based shops that setup in commercial stripmalls but they're legit. Plus they were close to my work (Markham) so it made it easy. If the big box stores have them, I haven't come across them yet.

I haven't noticed any heat issues so far.

Lobo

oh toro

TRIBE Member
i have a house built in the 50s. i have some demo work to remove some walls to open up the floor. i sent in some samples of the wall for asbestos testing. came back positive on the plaster joint compound.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
i have a house built in the 50s. i have some demo work to remove some walls to open up the floor. i sent in some samples of the wall for asbestos testing. came back positive on the plaster joint compound.
good luck with that, probably best to leave it alone.

would you need to get the city involved for such a thing

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Depending on how much work you want to do, I'd be calling in a contractor and leave it to the pros.

Otherwise, don't touch anything.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
ya, i'm having a contractor deal with that work and do the abatement for what is being removed. the other areas that won't be disturbed is safe where it is as it remains sealed.

the takeaway from this is that i suspect that most houses built with plaster layer on top of gyproc or sheetrock will have asbestos.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
can anyone recommend a contractor to do a second story addition and open up the first floor?
Kyfe, did you ever go through with this? looking into doing the same thing at my place, wondering if anyone has any tips/horror stories.

c.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Kyfe, did you ever go through with this? looking into doing the same thing at my place, wondering if anyone has any tips/horror stories.

c.
no we did not, we ended up moving outside Toronto and renting out the house.

After meeting with contractors and going through the work we wanted done (blow out main level and adding a second story, minimalist/modern design w flat roof) we decided that the costs to have a contractor do it were too much. We may revisit it when contractors are begging for work in a few years but for now we are happy with someone else paying the mortgage. We were getting quoted about $250/square ft ++which I find quite high but after having 3 contractors all come in it was clear that everyone is charging a premium for work.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
250 a square foot Jesus

We're hoping to do the same next year, which reminds me mortgage up soon gotta look at 12 month rates...
yeah and that was nothing spectacular (std finishes) also don't forget to add HST. I talked cash deal with one contractor, he was willing to do it for less but without tarion warranty (or whatever it's called)

I was really suprised and disappointed as after factoring in the reno costs the benefit wasn't much more than if we left it alone to do $300k in renos to put another $50k in your pocket seemed foolish, although we probably would have seen a greater % appreciation moving forward.