• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Home Beautification and Home Renovation

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I'm sad to say you can not remotely perform a test on the detectors. I was hoping to prank the partner as she's working at home today.

Nor is there a remote intercom. :(

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
The gadget guy in me says go out and buy one of these but the question is, is it really worth it in an 800sq ft condo?

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
anybody successfully painted over porcelain bathroom tiles? "redo bathroom" is down the list of jobs to do around the house, but am looking to update the room from the 1970's.

c.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lobo

TRIBE Member
This.

Also too bad the Nest thermostat won't work for you, surprised as you must have some sort of crazy setup... from what I've seen it will work with like 95% of the existing setups out there. At my place it took all of 5 minutes to install and get up/running.

Yeah real bummer. :(

I have the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ with a whole home humidifier. This system comes with a "brain module" that connects to the t-stat, the furnace, the humidifier and an outdoor sensor (temp and humidity). I only have 3 wires coming into my t-stat which is completely different than most other systems. If I wanted to use the Nest, I'd have to have a pro come in and rewire things entirely. Not worth it for now which is a big booo for the techie/geek in me.

Lobo

coleridge

TRIBE Member
The gadget guy in me says go out and buy one of these but the question is, is it really worth it in an 800sq ft condo?

If your smoke alarm goes off a lot when you're cooking I'd say it's worth it for the feature that allows you to waive off a false alarm.

But I'd say these are best for houses with multiple floors that require multiple units. They speak to you where the problem is. For example: "Smoke detected in basement"

lobo

TRIBE Member
Renos are done!!!

Hope you guys don't mind some before and after shots.

rg47.jpg

wl0s.jpg

i0ef.jpg

6a26.jpg

dqm8.jpg

mswu.jpg

7njc.jpg

50sz.jpg

08pe.jpg

re61.jpg

Lobo

lobo

TRIBE Member
And the new laundry room with the side door gone.

lq3z.jpg

wrtn.jpg

bmlh.jpg

Wanted to do the basement next but the wife says that the stairs and upstairs flooring is the next project. :)

Lobo

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Got some new smoke and CO detectors today. I was considering the Nest ones, but this combo had all the same features for the same price.

IMG_2473_zpsd92ecc8c.jpg

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
amazing job lobo!! looks great!!!

i have a question regarding blinds. i inherited shear drapes and poofy bedroom shade covers and they are hideous. what's the latest for bedroom and living rooms? kinda looking at blinds à la blindstogo for either wood for the living room or blackout cellular shades...

also have 2 questions re: bathroom renos. we currently have one of those "cover-all" bath/shower installations and I shudder to think what's underneath. it also has sliding doors, which i hate. when they redid the kitchen, they took a slab of countertop for the bathroom, which looks fine, but the drawers underneath are a billion years old and don't open or close properly.

1) if i reno the bathroom, can i save the countertop?
2) how long does a bathroom reno typically take?

kuba

TRIBE Member
And the new laundry room with the side door gone.

Lobo

..what I like about your reno is it seems you didn't have to do much reconfiguration therefore were able to keep things were they were and spend on finishes - correct?

kuba

TRIBE Member
Got some new smoke and CO detectors today. I was considering the Nest ones, but this combo had all the same features for the same price.

IMG_2473_zpsd92ecc8c.jpg

But it doesn't look pretty so take that $100 and get yourself a nicer looking one.

People will/do pay for design. Of course I can buy a parka that's $300 at MEC that looks like a laundry bag, or I can buy one that looks like a laundry bag but has a Canada Goose logo, and because I'm like everyone else and I think I need it, I will get the latter not the former.

That example aside, surely you agree that the Nest is a far superior designed product, no?

Is it worth the extra $100? Who knows.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
amazing job lobo!! looks great!!!

i have a question regarding blinds. i inherited shear drapes and poofy bedroom shade covers and they are hideous. what's the latest for bedroom and living rooms? kinda looking at blinds à la blindstogo for either wood for the living room or blackout cellular shades...

also have 2 questions re: bathroom renos. we currently have one of those "cover-all" bath/shower installations and I shudder to think what's underneath. it also has sliding doors, which i hate. when they redid the kitchen, they took a slab of countertop for the bathroom, which looks fine, but the drawers underneath are a billion years old and don't open or close properly.

1) if i reno the bathroom, can i save the countertop?
2) how long does a bathroom reno typically take?

1 yes you can
2 depends

maybe you should post some pictures, I did a gut of our bathroom which is not very big any it took 5 days, for an average bathroom budget ~2weeks

kuba

TRIBE Member
lobo

-can/will you replace the front door?
-i like the choice of tile thru
-i dislike the light fixture in the dining area
-dark floors show up dirt a lot- i hope you don't have a dog

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
But it doesn't look pretty so take that $100 and get yourself a nicer looking one.

People will/do pay for design. Of course I can buy a parka that's $300 at MEC that looks like a laundry bag, or I can buy one that looks like a laundry bag but has a Canada Goose logo, and because I'm like everyone else and I think I need it, I will get the latter not the former.

That example aside, surely you agree that the Nest is a far superior designed product, no?

Is it worth the extra $100? Who knows.

Hey! I have a $300 MEC parka! It was regular 400 on sale for 25% off cause it's so ugly. And warm! That was like 15 years ago and it's still warm (and ugly, but I'm the only one still comfortable outside after 10 mins so it doesn't matter)

I'm not so sure I agree that the nest is a superior designed product. It's prettier, but how much time do you spend looking up at your fire alarm? My house is an old Victorian so the nest would look pretty out of place anyhow.

Seriously though- the first alert was on sale at lowes for half price. 30 bucks each. That's less than 1/4 or the price of the nest. The nest I see a stylish housing, a control board that probably costs them 30 bucks to buy from some chinese electronics company and a whole lot of advertising. It has one extra feature that I'm aware of- it is still interconnected when the power goes out. So, in my case fancy styling and a minor feature upgrade wasn't worth 4 times the price. If one just spent 6 hours picking out what shade of white to paint their ceiling and they've got a few hundred dollars extra kicking around that they just don't know what to do with then the Nest might be the one to choose.

The CO detector I got is good for 7 years. All the other ones seemed to be the same, so I'll assume it's the same for the Nest although the nest will be horribly out of fashion by then anyhow.

lobo

TRIBE Member
..what I like about your reno is it seems you didn't have to do much reconfiguration therefore were able to keep things were they were and spend on finishes - correct?

Yeah pretty much. The only part that required shifting a couple of walls around was the laundry and powder rooms. But behind the walls there was quite a bit of work done by moving/adding some plumbing and adding electrical wiring for some of the new potlights and receptacles.

One thing that's not noticeable in the pictures is the fact that we removed all of the popcorn ceiling and made it flat. We ended up doing this for the upstairs ceilings as well since they convinced us to go for it and that it they could try and give us a break on the cost. Best decision we made. Such a huge difference than what was there before.

Lobo

lobo

TRIBE Member
lobo

-can/will you replace the front door?
-i like the choice of tile thru
-i dislike the light fixture in the dining area
-dark floors show up dirt a lot- i hope you don't have a dog

1) Yes, that's next on the list. Hopefully we can save up in the next few months and get that replaced.
2) Thanks. Everyone seems to like it so far.
3) We've had that light fixture since our old house and we didn't want to end up spending more but something to think about changing when we decorate a bit more :)
4) No dog but I did spray some compressed air on my HTPC and man I already saw the dust from a distance that the floors show. Gonna have to stay on top of them.

Lobo

kuba

TRIBE Member
Yeah pretty much. The only part that required shifting a couple of walls around was the laundry and powder rooms. But behind the walls there was quite a bit of work done by moving/adding some plumbing and adding electrical wiring for some of the new potlights and receptacles.

One thing that's not noticeable in the pictures is the fact that we removed all of the popcorn ceiling and made it flat. We ended up doing this for the upstairs ceilings as well since they convinced us to go for it and that it they could try and give us a break on the cost. Best decision we made. Such a huge difference than what was there before.

Lobo

Flat ceilings will never go out of style. What i want to know is if i have blown in insulation and wanted go do the same i guess the only way they could is if they simply put drywall overtop existing ceiling, as bringing this down would cause a gigantic mess, no?

Then again i want to raise the ceiling to cathedral style when we reno so maybe its gonna get messy anyways.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Why are popcorn ceilings so common when seemingly everyone thinks they're hideous? Do they mask imperfections? ...though many brand new homes/condos have them. Sound?