• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Home Beautification and Home Renovation

kuba

TRIBE Member
missblu - hasn't the prefab home movement been promising eco-friendly and pocket-book friendly returns for a long time now?

check out this home - it belongs to the crown prince and princess of denmark:

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
But no one actually knows from experience or inquiry? I had the same assumptions from what you guys mentioned, but laying hardwood in a linear fashion still involves similar precision and cuts. This is just a pattern. The deal is that all the pieces should be the same size to make it easy.

At least for tile it's not any more difficult. And time didn't appear to take any longer either.... That I've seen happen. it's just not common is all. check the link. Am sure you've seen it a bajillion times...it's just some people know which angle to cleverly arrange it in...and of course more creative materials.

boring/the usual:
http://z.about.com/d/homerenovations/1/0/H/B/-/-/Herringbone-Tile-Pattern.jpg

rad:
http://www.susanjablonmosaics.com/catalog/images/tile/8M1111-800.jpg

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
But no one actually knows from experience or inquiry? I had the same assumptions from what you guys mentioned, but laying hardwood in a linear fashion still involves similar precision and cuts. This is just a pattern. The deal is that all the pieces should be the same size to make it easy.

At least for tile it's not any more difficult. And time didn't appear to take any longer either.... That I've seen happen. it's just not common is all. check the link. Am sure you've seen it a bajillion times...it's just some people know which angle to cleverly arrange it in...and of course more creative materials.

boring/the usual:
http://z.about.com/d/homerenovations/1/0/H/B/-/-/Herringbone-Tile-Pattern.jpg

rad:
http://www.susanjablonmosaics.com/catalog/images/tile/8M1111-800.jpg
but getting all the pieces cut to size will definitely cost more money.
i'm also pretty sure they would have to be cut on site to account for any adjustments. trust, it's not as simple as laying regular hardwood, which i would attempt myself, but i wouldnt dare try a herringbone.

there's a reason why people stick to simply laid patterns. also, tile and hardwood are two very different materials to work with. with tile, gap isn't as much of a problem. with wood, you get one fucked up gap and the rest of your floor follows.

kuba, while the promises are there for prefab, etc. i don't think it's necessairly the right direction to take - too many factors to consider... you have to have the right site for it.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
just remember fillmore that herman miller makes office furniture, and U of T probably gets some kind of discount from them... that might be why your co-worker got a deal.

pod homes are a very new thing in Canada - i think i would wait awhile before investing in one. there are lots of advancements to be made, but in general a great idea.

if you want to talk sustainable buildings shoot me a PM or fb me!
The pod home idea for us would be in the future. I dont think we could afford the jump from our current condo right into buying property and putting up a pod home. Ideally we would like to have purchased property and starting to look at pod home plans by the time we are about 40. This gives us about 9-10 years to work out all the details and the finances. We would like to build this up north somewhere close to cottage country or perhaps back towards Kingston. Who knows. I think where we work will ultimately determine where we put this house.

We would also want to ensure we are completely off the grid with this pod home. I am currently working on proposals for wind turbines and solar panels at work so this should give me the knowledge I need going forward with our project.

I will def. be in touch via facebook with more questions. If you get a chance, click on that link I posted and let me know what you think. Those homes are built in BC because the designer could not find a builder anywhere in the US of A

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
but getting all the pieces cut to size will definitely cost more money.
i'm also pretty sure they would have to be cut on site to account for any adjustments. trust, it's not as simple as laying regular hardwood, which i would attempt myself, but i wouldnt dare try a herringbone.
you wouldn't cut the boards down to size (apart from threshold/perimeter cuts). unlike hardwood they would all have to be one size with proper tounge and groove to fit the pattern. but like hardwood once you have squared off your starting row it's just a matter of banging it out, apart from the aforementioned cuts.

i'd try it myself but im dangerous like that.

erika

TRIBE Member
Has anyone had a custom lampshade made here? I keep finding only one site that has a Toronto location; somehow I think there must be more.
Or a place that has a good/interesting selection of lampshades; I'm not fussy about going the custom route, I just want to find what I'm looking for!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
That backsplash is great. Wow.

And I like the way it contrasts the dark cupboards.

So you did this all yourself?

lobo

TRIBE Member
Noticed this today:

ecoENERGY Retrofit – Homes Grants

Important Notice

March 31, 2010

Effective today, the ecoENERGY Retrofit – Homes program is no longer accepting bookings for pre-retrofit evaluations. The program will continue to be administered until March 31, 2011. If you have already booked an appointment for a pre-retrofit evaluation, have completed an evaluation or applied for re-entry to the program, you remain eligible to apply for a grant.

Does this mean that the energy audit program is done and that you won't get any credits back for doing the work that is recommended?

Lobo

kuba

TRIBE Member
Is it me or does that kitchen seem tiny? or are we just seeing one wall of cabinetry? (great work by the way - are those cabinets custom or pre-fab?)

starr

TRIBE Member
Noticed this today:

ecoENERGY Retrofit – Homes Grants

Important Notice

March 31, 2010

Effective today, the ecoENERGY Retrofit – Homes program is no longer accepting bookings for pre-retrofit evaluations. The program will continue to be administered until March 31, 2011. If you have already booked an appointment for a pre-retrofit evaluation, have completed an evaluation or applied for re-entry to the program, you remain eligible to apply for a grant.

Does this mean that the energy audit program is done and that you won't get any credits back for doing the work that is recommended?

Lobo
Wow, glad I didn't wait to book my appointment even though I'm not moving in until May.

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
Is it me or does that kitchen seem tiny? or are we just seeing one wall of cabinetry? (great work by the way - are those cabinets custom or pre-fab?)
the kitchen is small, but yes, you are only seeing the one wall, the cabinets are pre-fab, order from a company in Montreal....and thanks.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
yeah, that was the look I was going for. I was aiming for that ruff, yet simply elegant. It's all new material, I requested the specific colours cus I wanted everything to blend in with the dried up puke in the corner. If anybody is looking for an interior decorator just let me know I'll cut ya a deal.

rawd

TRIBE Member
Sod delivery in GTA. Any recommendations. I need a bunch of 9' rolls and if I can avoid getting my car dirty would be most excellent.

peko

TRIBE Member
Sod delivery in GTA. Any recommendations. I need a bunch of 9' rolls and if I can avoid getting my car dirty would be most excellent.
Caledonia Garden Centre
70-B Caledonia Park Road
(South of St. Clair West)
(416) 653-7946

kyfe

TRIBE Member
where you at?

Ontario Sod
2376 Royal Windsor Dr
Oakville, ON
L6J 7Y2
(905) 849-1915
Fax: (905) 679-4444
Greenhorizons

this is who i use, they deliver the bag of soil but they also sell the rolls of grass