• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Home Beautification and Home Renovation

JESuX

TRIBE Member
This thread will now be home for anyone to talk about shit they're doing to their home/apartment/house boat, etc.!

I'm in the middle of painting my room!

"kitten white"... and I just ran out of paint. I'm covered from head to toe, dirty, unshowered, and I need to run out to the store looking like this.

Hah!

Anyone else working on their place this weekend?

echootje

TRIBE Member
Ugh, we're supposed to be painting in the next few weeks. I actually doubt that will happen, but for the record I love doing home-handy man things. It's part pride in my accomplishments and partly being driven to learn and get better at being self-sufficient.

Rob

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
yeah i am actually planning on painting a couple walls in my room this weekend...not sure what colour yet though.

good idea for a thread :)

Skipper

TRIBE Member
oooh ooooh!

Right now rude1 is helping me do my apartment - the whole thing - two bedrooms, living room, kitchen and bath.

Kitchen is hot spiced apple (deep red)
Bedrooms are blue (deep grey-blue)
Bath and living rooms are an olive beige
Trim is sort of eggshell-ish.

Will post pics when it's done.

vinder

TRIBE Member
i will be all up in this thread over the next few months.

things i have right now = 0.
things i have to buy = everything.

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
We're always cleaning. ha !

But I'm waiting for the IKEA sale on paper lamps, 3 for 34.95$ nov.3 so that shall be another fun excursion.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i have blisters.

:(

i also need to get new curtains, seeing as my cats decided that the pull-up thingies on them make GREAT chew-toys.

:rolleyes:

quite the sense of accomplishment already though... 200 square feet of walls covered in 3 hours! woot!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
oooh ooooh!

Right now rude1 is helping me do my apartment - the whole thing - two bedrooms, living room, kitchen and bath.

Kitchen is hot spiced apple (deep red)
Bedrooms are blue (deep grey-blue)
Bath and living rooms are an olive beige
Trim is sort of eggshell-ish.

Will post pics when it's done.
red is my FAVOURITE colour to paint shit. :)

[edit: magda! thanks for the heads up on the sale!!! that should be well worth the wait!]

IgStar

TRIBE Member
*our sunroom is being ripped apart. new flooring and we're heating it :cool:
*new huge KICKASS deck, wall knocked down in dining room so it opens up to the deck is this month as well.

YAH :cool:

then I need to paint the godawful living room and buy new furniture. but I'm tapped out now. :(

littlejon

TRIBE Member
i get my paint tomorrow.
my bro in law is a painter, so i got contractor prices on it. still, $200 worth of paint is more than i wanna spend. but it will look pretty rock solid when i am done.

the colour is barely an off white, just a bit of cream to match the (eventual) chocolate brown floor.

and more chair shopping this weekend!
i asked my new roomie if he wanted to come, and he said he would rather watch football. [fool]

JESuX

TRIBE Member
oh yeah... not sure if anyone will end up looking in here for material/fabric advice if you're a do-it-yourselfer (i totally am)...

there's a HUGE fabric warehouse at st clair west and keele, in the building just east from the home depot and canadian tire. (or at least there used to be... i'm going to check it out today to make sure it's still there)

literally an entire warehouse stocked up to the rafters with just about every kind of fabric you can imagine, for CHEAP.

:)

littlejon

TRIBE Member
JESuX, home renovator not home wrecker said:
oh yeah...
there's a HUGE fabric warehouse at st clair west and keele,
literally an entire warehouse stocked up to the rafters with just about every kind of fabric you can imagine, for CHEAP.

cheaper than the fabric design superstore on queen west west?

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JESuX
red is my FAVOURITE colour to paint shit. :)
ew jess paints her shit

i have nice curtains. i bought them around christmas. they are currently sitting in a drawer because i dunno..the tablecloth with pushpins seems to be working well enough.

k..thats my contribution to this thread.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
I guess I should pick up those curtains I dropped off in June.

hrm. where did I put the damn receipt? shit.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
what colour is kitten white? it's sounds so soft ;)

damnit I need to move to the city, I'd love to hit up that fabric store. I've been putting off making a duvet cover for months cuz I can't find the fabric I want or cheap enough.

I've been putting off painting my not-so-new place since February, I don't think it's going to get done now. I think I'll just get my paintings framed properly and keep the walls white.

Poot

TRIBE Member
I put out my big vases full of gourds and dried, brightly coloured leaves last week.

Home is pretty :)

I am happy :)

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
We're getting new a new tub/tile/fixtures.

If we could veer get a fucking contractor to call back. Bad customer service seems to run rampant through the entire industry. :mad:

Lurch

TRIBE Member
I have been working on my inlaws place for 2-3 years

Lots of slate and hardwood floors.
New rooms and wall configurations.
5 tons of garbage ripped out.
All new bathroom.
Complete basement reno for pool table and bar.

My house:
Have'nt really got started yet, no money,

Put in new furnace
New water heater
Removed wall paper ( :( ) and painted 6-7 rooms
Put in new front door
Refinished and painted garage and evestroughs
Landscape garden with "found" rocks and various new plants

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jonesy
i'm not allowed to paint my stupid apartment.
it's white wall hell in here.

argh!! :mad:
white's supposed to be in this year, so consider yourself lucky?

i don't personally dig it, but whatever

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
We're saying goodbye to our carpets soon.

I for one welcome the change, as does my nose since I suffer from horrible allergies.